News   Mar 28, 2024
 50     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Help: Steps to sever your lot

I am currently in the process of severing a 50'x100' into two lots (25'x100') to build two detached units in Toronto. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will tell them of my experience as I move ahead with the process. I have done this before in Niagara Falls/Fort Erie and succeeded.
The posts here seem to be pretty old. I guess, these projects may have taken off. Just in case they are yet pondering, then my experience may help them and others who may need some guidance. (Currently - everything is on hold at the city due to COVID-19 as you know... maybe when better days come, we can connect on this forum to help each other)
Cheers

Hi Nanavati! I would love to talk to you about this! My husband and I are looking into doing something similar, but are very new to this, so would appreciate any advice :).

Aleks

I am currently in the process of severing a 50'x100' into two lots (25'x100') to build two detached units in Toronto. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will tell them of my experience as I move ahead with the process. I have done this before in Niagara Falls/Fort Erie and succeeded.
The posts here seem to be pretty old. I guess, these projects may have taken off. Just in case they are yet pondering, then my experience may help them and others who may need some guidance. (Currently - everything is on hold at the city due to COVID-19 as you know... maybe when better days come, we can connect on this forum to help each other)
Cheers

Thanks Nanavati
I have a 100x300 (approx 27,000 sq ft) lot in Mississauga next to GO tracks (10 min walking to GO station) and I am trying to sever into 3 lots of approximately 100x100 each, including my existing dwelling.

My lot is a corner lot with adequate legal distance from the end of GO track land. The problem that I think I will face is that my land abuts a bylane (it's a 12 feet wide road / asphalt walkway that goes past a small green zone behind my house, to the neighbouring housing community).

Based on your experience, is that a feasible exercise? What's ur advise on the route to follow.

Thanks again

Cheers
Have you made any progress with this over the last few months, or are things still at a stand still?

Cheers

I'm curious to know what your experience was and how much progress you have made.

Does anyone have any insight on which Toronto neighbourhoods are more likely to approve lot severance?

Cheers
Hey Nanavati,

I'm pretty keen to learn this process. I just started getting into property investing more deeply in the last 18 months, and I have 5 properties now. I'm looking to get into buying and developing land at this point, if you're willing to share your experience

Hi. Our lot size is 66 x 165 in Scarborough west hill. Can I divide into two lots like 33 x 165 and 33 x 165 ? Is that possible? Plz guide

I am currently in the process of severing a 50'x100' into two lots (25'x100') to build two detached units in Toronto.
You do you, but I always find these lot severings to be sad, where once a home was situated with some land around it only to be torn down and two or sometimes three houses squished into the same space. I know, I know we need density, but I’ve watched some regal homes demolished.

Cheers
Hi Nanavati

Appreciate your post. I have 55 x 110 lot with a single dwelling in Scarborough and wondering if we can split this into two plots of 55 x 55 lot. We are planning to down size and if we can keep one for ourselves and either rent or sell the other unit. Your insight would be a great help.

Cheers
Hi, how did your land severance go? I am interested in splitting a lot into two also. Please show me how it's done.

I’ve done a couple severances through the Toronto and East York C of A. Here are my thoughts on the process and your questions.

I agree you should approach the Planner assigned to your area, as well as the Councillor beforehand to see if they would support your application or at least not write a report/letter in opposition.

If you aren’t comfortable drawing plans, you’ll need to hire someone and yes, you need plans at the time you submit.

You’ll need a Draft-R plan from a surveyor showing the new lots. Also, a survey of the property in its original state is often required.

Get a PAL or a PPR done from the Building Dept by submitting your plans to them before submitting to the C of A. This will tell you if you also need variances. If you sever the lot, the existing house may no longer be in conformity with the Zoning By-law and you’ll need variances to have it approved. Same deal with the new house. If you need variances, this will add to the cost of the application.

The C of A form itself is pretty straight forward to fill out. You can always attach a letter explaining what you are doing and why.

If you are really intimidated by the process and the thought of having to stand up and explain/defend your application, you may want to consider hiring a lawyer or a planner, or see if your architect has done it before.

I disagree with people saying you’d need a full rezoning. The range of applications (including severances) that go through C of A in Toronto is amazing. Splitting a lot into two lots is a simple severance in Toronto even if you need variances.
Hi Gmania, I know this is an old post. Are you a professional planner or builder? Can I get some advise from you re splitting my lot into two?

Back