News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 869     0 

help me remember a place in toronto (a park with a cool device)

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
i remember, probably sometime in the 80's, there was a park in toronto where you could glide across a rope using some kind of device that looks like a pulley wheel attached to a bar with hand grips (can't remember what you would call such a device).

it was probably on a hill (can't remember how big) and there were alot of trees in the area. i'm also guessing in the west end of toronto but i could be wrong.

does anyone remember such a thing?

Was it a farm/park? I remember there being more than one glide rope, but that it wasn't on a hill - it was in a barn (part of a barn?) and you climbed up a pretty big panel of rope-netting to get up. I vaguely remember going there on a school trip in grade 1 or 2?

Was it a farm/park? I remember there being more than one glide rope, but that it wasn't on a hill - it was in a barn (part of a barn?) and you climbed up a pretty big panel of rope-netting to get up. I vaguely remember going there on a school trip in grade 1 or 2?

i'm not sure. i don't remember a barn or netting but that doesn't mean those things weren't there. i just can't remember if they were there.

you think the place i was describing could have been somewhere in high park?

i remember gliding on a rope or wire down a hill.

i remember, probably sometime in the 80's, there was a park in toronto where you could glide across a rope using some kind of device that looks like a pulley wheel attached to a bar with hand grips (can't remember what you would call such a device).

it was probably on a hill (can't remember how big) and there were alot of trees in the area. i'm also guessing in the west end of toronto but i could be wrong.

does anyone remember such a thing?

I remember Ontario Place used to have one of these, but I don't think it was in a park setting... I think it was under one of those big tents.

I remember Ontario Place used to have one of these, but I don't think it was in a park setting... I think it was under one of those big tents.

what i'm talking about is definitely not ontario place if it was under a tent. this was open air, outside with trees around and dirt+grass on the floor.

If I recall correctly, the people were generally hatless.

Men Without Hats? They were in the 80's.

I don't recall any pulleys or bars in their shows. Then again, I never saw them perform in Toronto.

Men Without Hats? They were in the 80's.

I don't recall any pulleys or bars in their shows. Then again, I never saw them perform in Toronto.

great! now i got that stupid song stuck in my head....you can dance if you want to...you can leave your friends behind.....

well what if i don't wanna leave my friend's behind? what if my friend has a nice behind? what if my friend is taylor rain?

I grew up in Mississauga and went to Hawthorn elementary for Kindergarten and we had one of those in the playground. It was very long and you had to climb a ladder to access it from one end. Quite dangerous now that I think about it, probably a real long shot that it's still there.

*edit* This would have been 1985.

i don't see the one i was on existing now either.

speaking of playground equipment, some of that stuff was really dangerous back then. do they still have teeter totters in city parks? i sometimes wonder if they were part of some sort of eugenics plan (ie: your buddy jumps off, you come crashing down and you break your balls). if that didn't sterilize you, the massive wedgie you'd get going down the metal slide in shorts would. but i was smart. i used to sand the slide and the dust left behind prevented my cheeks and shorts from sticking to the slide.

Funny thing is that I don't recall any mass deaths from all this "unsafe" playground equipment back then. Entire generations made it to adulthood without the benefits of bike helmets, too.

Funny thing is that I don't recall any mass deaths from all this "unsafe" playground equipment back then. Entire generations made it to adulthood without the benefits of bike helmets, too.

unsafe by today's standards i guess. they ripped out alot of the things i grew up playing on and replaced them with wimpy stuff.

i also remember a brief period in time when they had ropes in gym class and they'd make you climb them. from a certain point on, they wouldn't allow anyone to use them anymore, for good. that wouldn't stop us though, we'd sneak into the gym sometimes and swing off of them, being true to our primate genes. of course we'd be loud in our fun and get caught.

unsafe by today's standards i guess. they ripped out alot of the things i grew up playing on and replaced them with wimpy stuff.

i also remember a brief period in time when they had ropes in gym class and they'd make you climb them. from a certain point on, they wouldn't allow anyone to use them anymore, for good. that wouldn't stop us though, we'd sneak into the gym sometimes and swing off of them, being true to our primate genes. of course we'd be loud in our fun and get caught.

Bill Cosby - Playground

Back