415     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Help me find neighbourhood pathways and foot-bridges

Architourist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Dave, the "Architourist" from the G&M here. My editor is hot on the idea of a piece about ways to get around neighbourhoods that don't involve walking the busy streets, what with all the auto-pedestrian accidents lately.

I'm hoping to write a piece on neighbourhoods that feature fairly extensive footpath systems (like Don Mills) and/or interesting footbridges (i.e. pedestrian only). Just a survey of 5 or 7, and I don't need to know the architects or dates of construction (tho' that would be nice). I can think of an interesting footbridge that carries Heath St. W. across the ravine between the Moore Park neighbourhood to the Bennington Heights 'hood (Google Satellite map it and you'll see what I mean)...there's also that Calatrava footbridge. But what else?

While I won't be able to give credit to individual forumers as I've done in the past (my editor says it takes up too much space and makes the column too "busy"), I will credit the UT site itself. And, with my editor's permission, I may also mention UT's recent design charette for a pedestrian bridge...and if the winner doesn't mind some press perhaps I'll provide the pic...(and their name, should they want it revealed).

But, for now, just your suggestions on 'hoods I might explore.

Oh...and THANKS.

Parkwoods (just east of Don Mills) has some great pathways that connect residential streets. Footbridge Rd. at the end of Three Valleys Dr. is the creepiest path I've encountered in the city. It's really cool to walk through at night.

Though Parkwoods can also be seen as an "extension" of Don Mills (was Mack Hancock involved there, too?)

Of course, as Toronto's most primal "railpath", there's the Belt Line to consider--even though it does awkwardly cross streets at moments (and has that big interruptus btw/the Allen Road and the Patons factory)

And of course, a lot of the most interesting footbridges are ex-road/rail: the Belt Line over Yonge (and over Dufferin, for that matter), the one over Cedarvale Ravine, the oldest concrete tied arch over Etobicoke Creek at Sherway, and that favourite sleeper of mine at Old Cummer which I'm almost certain must be a Frank Barber/Claude Bragdon work (cf. Leaside Viaduct)

There's an interesting 'lost' footbridge in Riverdale Park East, taking you up to the back of the adult learning school at the Viaduct. Middle of nowhere, connects to little, but gets you over the on ramp.

Todmorden Mills has some footbridges in the back copse, and a friend of mine used to commute from St. Clair/O'Connor all the way down the ravines and Don Trail. Where else? Well, the Riverdale Park connecting bridge over the DVP would be an obvious one. The Humber River bridge as well. How about the Union Station to CN Tower SkyWalk? Does that count?

Wallace Ave. Pedestrian bridge (just north/east of Dundas and Bloor):
Old photos: http://www.southjunctiontriangle.ca/image/tid/53
Recent photos: http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2010-01-23/

Of course connected to that is the West Toronto Railpath.

On the other side of the 'hood, the Barrie/newmarket GO train tracks make an awesome strolling path, though it's not quite legal to do so.
http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2009-03-28/MD-2009-03-28-092.html
http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2008-11-01/MD-2008-11-01-058.html

It's not a traditional neighbourhood, but the UofT campus was the first thing that came to mind. Loads of pathways and shortcuts, some well known and some less obvious. And really, considering the pedestrian flows it has a remarkably low incidence of pedestrian injuries

There's an interesting 'lost' footbridge in Riverdale Park East, taking you up to the back of the adult learning school at the Viaduct. Middle of nowhere, connects to little, but gets you over the on ramp

Not so "lost" actually. That footbridge, or more precisely the densely treed park to the south that it led to, had a surprisingly busy (nocturnal ) gay history in the '70s, '80s, 90s ... and maybe beyond.

I assume you are familiar with the path along the Humber River that runs from north of Weston Road and Lawrence to the Old Mill. A footbridge crosses the river just south of Lawrence Avenue. There is a plaque nearby referring to the effects of Hurricane Hazel, which swept away houses in the immediate vicinity on Raymore Drive. The trail crosses the river again in the "hidden" Lambton Park, just north of Dundas Street (unfortunately a bit tricky to access in the immediate area). Another plaque referencing Hurricane Hazel is found at Bloor Street, almost directly under the subway bridge.

This trail can be used to walk or bike all the way from Steeles Ave. down to south of Bloor Street, running along the Humber River, with only one interruption of a few short blocks just north of Lawrence Avenue, where you detour using Weston Road.

Last edited:
Any consideration of Don Mills "sequels"--esp. the original parts of Erin Mills and Meadowvale?

These are all great, thanks! Keep 'em coming if you can. Of course we just have to think, too, of the many ravines we have in the GTA to find a few more. I was driving on Rosedale Valley Rd. yesterday and went under the Glen Rd. bridge. I think there may be enough bridges that I don't have to discuss footpaths/trails as much; besides, bridges are more interesting structures and more photogenic.

DLeB

The Glen Rd. bridge is fantastic, at one end you have the opulence of Rosedale, and at the other the tenements of St. Jamestown. You could call that bridge "purgatory".

I've always liked the look of the pedestrian bridge at Gerrard Square mall (around the back), although I've never walked on it. US, I believe you made mention of the view from it not long ago.

2375326526_46d4c8f05f.jpg

spaceball.gif

pd_bridge_blog03.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping to write a piece on neighbourhoods that feature fairly extensive footpath systems (like Don Mills) and/or interesting footbridges (i.e. pedestrian only).

If you're looking for the neighbourhoods with the most extensive pathway systems, they would almost certainly be the L'amoreaux/Milliken areas of north Scarborough. There's a few pedestrian bridges but nothing large or interesting. What is interesting is the sheer quantity of trails, with several creek trails and parks joined by a nearly continuous series of walkways connecting virtually every crescent and cul-de-sac with both each other and with arterial roads. Driving around these neighbourhoods' loopy trails is time consuming, but you can walk almost anywhere in a straight line. These areas are loosely planned on the Don Mills model.

Check out the Official City of Toronto Bicycle Map. It's a great map and has all the trails in the city. I'm you'll be able to pick out the neighbourhoods with the best-developed trail systems.

I've always liked the look of the pedestrian bridge at Gerrard Square mall (around the back), although I've never walked on it. US, I believe you made mention of the view from it not long ago.

pd_bridge_blog03.jpg

I'll be like that old fart in a few years. Yes, I adore that bridge - it's Riverdale's equivalent to van Gogh's Lift Bridge at Arles. Maybe when I've retired I'll sit there in the hot summer sun, painting it over and over again, sniffing paint thinner and licking the flake white off my brushes.

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/popup.jsp?page=3761&collection=623&lang=en

Back