News   Jul 08, 2024
 352     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.1K     13 

Help! Lost in Toronto!!

Hey,

Thanks very much for all the advice and opinions, I really appreciate it.

So from your general tone of advice, and we'll pretend the budget isn't an issue for a moment, what would you suggest would be the best neighborhoods for me to look for that are right in the heart of everything (I want as much city, central and downtown as possible and as little residential or suburb as possible.) and that are on the subway. So if we're talking east the best places would be Beaches, Leslieville, Riverdale - any others?

And if we're looking at the west side? What areas would you suggest?

I'll definitely look at sharing with somebody to try and meet people and get to know some people. Thanks again :) I may pop into this thread over the next 9 months or so before I go over by the way to try a milk as much information as I can from you!! haha :D Thanks again for all the help.

I think C1 or C8 area is okay. They're within walking distances. Riverdale is expensive I heard. You might be better off avoiding that area.

Yonge and Finch, Yonge and Sheppard and Yonge and Eglinton are pretty lively areas and near the train station. You don't need to change trains to go downtown. But I find the prices are similar to downtown (so I would recommend downtown).

If you stay between Bathurst and Jarvis, and between Bloor and Lakeshore, you're within walking distance of everything. If you bicycle all the better. It will take you less time to get around then walking or by car if there's a traffic jam.

If you like clubbing and stuff, there's bars and clubs along King street between Spadina and King St. area. There's out door patios for restaurants there too. I think there's some clubs on the east end too, not sure since I don't go. I just pass by the west side more. There's also Dundas Square to hang out near Eaton Centre at Yonge and Dundas.

Also if you want lively, habourfront area is great during the summer. A lot of people there. But winter it's kind of dead. Too cold.

Last edited:
Property prices have dropped all over the city but, according to the latest statistics, in E1 ( Riverdale ) they've merely flatlined. We're all feeling a bit like Leonardo DiCaprio in that scene in Titanic where the ship is pointing straight down and everyone is clinging to the stern ... waiting.

Try "The Annex", a neighbourhood which you will find generally just north of Bloor Street, extending from Bathurst Street on the west to about St. George Street on the east. Farther west, there are many apartments around High Park, but it's a 20-minute commute to downtown.

If being in the centre of the entertainment action is so important to you, the "Club District" is where you want to be, as previously pointed out. (King Street and adjacent streets, just west of University Avenue). There are many apartments for rent, but the cost reflects the central location.

Nick!
Downtown Toronto is so safe in the evening its....embarrassing.
Aim for any downtown location if you can afford it.
Think of Yonge St. as the epicentre of fun fun fun. and radiate from there according to your budget.
I know I will be chastised for over simplifying, by other members, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible for YOU.
It would be nice for you to be able to walk/stagger home after a night of fun fun fun..;)

I wouldn't exactly describe downtown Toronto as safe at night. One of my friends was shot to death on Yonge Street. Two of my friends have been mugged in broad daylight on Bloor Street. And I another friend was car jacked.

It's about as safe as Miami. Which is to say, medium safe. You definitely have to keep you third eye open and remain on guard downtown at any hour of the day or night.

Is it that bad downtown? I guess I don't walk around too much. I worked downtown during the day for the past 10 years and it seems safe. I moved downtown since late last year and it seems okay. I go home late sometimes from work and take the path and haven't had problems. I notice there's security guards around as I walk along the path. Above ground there's quite a lot of people around Dundas and Queen even at 9pm.

I wouldn't exactly describe downtown Toronto as safe at night. One of my friends was shot to death on Yonge Street. Two of my friends have been mugged in broad daylight on Bloor Street. And I another friend was car jacked.

It's about as safe as Miami. Which is to say, medium safe. You definitely have to keep you third eye open and remain on guard downtown at any hour of the day or night.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much. According to stats, Toronto is orders of magnitude safer than Miami (And most other cities).

It's a city, and like any other city, you'll want to keep your head up. But even in the low income areas downtown, you don't generally have much to worry about.

Hey,

Thanks very much for all the advice and opinions, I really appreciate it.

So from your general tone of advice, and we'll pretend the budget isn't an issue for a moment, what would you suggest would be the best neighborhoods for me to look for that are right in the heart of everything (I want as much city, central and downtown as possible and as little residential or suburb as possible.) and that are on the subway. So if we're talking east the best places would be Beaches, Leslieville, Riverdale - any others?

And if we're looking at the west side? What areas would you suggest?

I'll definitely look at sharing with somebody to try and meet people and get to know some people. Thanks again :) I may pop into this thread over the next 9 months or so before I go over by the way to try a milk as much information as I can from you!! haha :D Thanks again for all the help.

The west side of Yonge from Bloor to the Lake is more condos than rentals, where you will generally find condo rentals from roughly $1600-$2500 (1 bdrm-2bdrm). There are some rentals close to Yonge or Bloor Street, but there can be waiting lists. The east side of Yonge south of Bloor can be more reasonable. Generally, don't go east of Jarvis Street. Condo rentals are about the same as above, good rentals fall between $1100-1600 (1 bdrm-2bdrm) + parking & utilities.
When the time comes, feel free to PM me if your interested in the 'east of Yonge' area. I know the area well and I can recommend clean, well maintained rentals.

I live in the Annex and highly recommend it as a good place to live and experience Toronto. It's central and close to everything, including the subway line.

My partner and I own our home so I'm not sure what rents are like, but I would say they probably aren't cheap. However, a lot of students live in the area (since it's close to the Univerity of Toronto) so I'm assuming a reasonably priced rental unit shouldn't be too hard to come by. Rental units in this area tend to be in the form of old low-rise apartment buildings and houses that have been divided up into flats. There are some high-rise apartment buildings too, of course, but the old low-rise buildings seem to have much more character. A lot of houses have basement suites for rent as well.

Regarding night-life and pubs I'm not sure I'd recommend the so-called "Club District" to you. From what I've seen and heard it's mostly just throngs of kids from the suburbs who invade every weekend to get trashed and occasionally stab each other.

Queen St., College St., Bloor St., the Danforth (Bloor East), and certain stretches of Yonge St. have fairly cool clubs, bars, pubs, restos, lounges, etc. Whatever your tastes, you'll find what you're looking for.

As far as the East End goes, the Beaches is a wonderful area but a bit far east from the centre of town I find. Leslieville, Riverside and Riverdale are a bit closer.

Compared to other North American cities of a similar size, Toronto is very safe. Things happen, of course, like they do in any city and you have to be on your guard. But for the most part, it's safe.

I've found almost everywhere within the waterfront to Bloor, Don Valley to Bathurst (which I usually use to define downtown) area is safe, and a good place to live. Short of a few bad pockets in the east end, I've never had a problem living at King/Parliament. I often walk the "dreaded" Queen/Sherbourne stretch to play tennis at Moss Park, even at night (the danger is played up by many, however keep a head up regardless.)

Depending on your budget, Corktown and Cabbagetown are nice areas to live, but are mostly rowhouse residential. St. Lawrence Market and its adjacent neighbourhood has a good mix of residential condos/apartments, many of which are inexpensive relative to downtown proximity. I personally like living east of Yonge/south of Bloor, because it's quieter and less expensive, while being extremely close to downtown, the nightlife, and pretty much everything else you need.

Back