News   Apr 30, 2024
 21     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 843     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

First you don't like the template bench, then you don't like any benches and now you want a red bench. (Of course you also changed your posting name from Phunkey to Khristopher so this may just be "you".)

Foolish consistency may be the hobgoblin of small minds BUT it does have some attraction! :)

Have you actually gone to the Slip to LOOK recently, or ever?

If you looked at the link you'd see it's made with LED's inside, and it can be any colour.

Oh great! Now we can discuss, and maybe vote on, what colour the benches should be!:rolleyes:

Wow you should go back to SSC. I think you'd fit in better there.
I wasn't being serious, just thought the benches were cool. Get a grip.

Has it been painted too?

No, but being Toronto it soon will be.

images

It's too bad it wasn't completed for today because the Harbourfront is PACKED. It would have been a great way to showcase the new developments down here.

Packed? It was insane! What the heck was going on that brought all those people down there and turned Queens Quay into gridlock?

Love the crowds on July 1st and those tour buses were blocking the road very good. It will be nice to see them park elsewhere next year. People trying to use the streetcar from Union was crazy as it would have been faster to walk than wait for a car. I never seen Union this bad.

2631576374_fa46548d11_m.jpg

2630754515_803823fd2d_m.jpg

The plan was to have the slip open for June 28, but due to various things, it will be open within the next 10 days. Stainless steel edges added to protect the edges from skateboarders.

2631576212_854b22dd46_m.jpg

2631576110_81e4ee337d_m.jpg

2630754269_59439d4ded_m.jpg

2631575832_c529bbffd8_m.jpg

2630754005_f262ddb4e6_m.jpg

The plan was to have the slip open for June 28, but due to various things, it will be open within the next 10 days. Stainless steel edges added to protect the edges from skateboarders.

I worked at Harbourfront Centre when they were adding their boardwalk, I wouldn't hold my breathe on that 10 days. Those projects are horribly mismanaged, you look at Harbourfront Centre and the work is shoddy. Hopefully the Spadina Slip will mark a change for the better

Which actually makes them easier to grind and therefore, more enticing...

Thanks drum for the pics.

tzv:

Just wondering, how did you find the Harbourfront Water Edge particularly shoddy? I found it fairly good compared to the typical Toronto landscaping project...

AoD

not only that, but this project seems to have gone from nothing to something very quickly. It's been well documented in this thread the level of surprise we've had at its pace. There's no reason why this shouldn't be done in a week based on the pace they've been going at so far and the apparent amount of work left to be completed. If it missed its target by 10 days, oh well. Sometimes the unexpected happens and in the grand scheme of things it won't matter one bit.

As noted in the pictures above, they've started adding the bench legs. They're made of metal, and currently are grey. I was a bit surprised to see them go from end to end along the edge, but I can think of many reasons why this is appropriate.

Love the crowds on July 1st and those tour buses were blocking the road very good. It will be nice to see them park elsewhere next year.

There must have been 30 or 40 buses parked between Spadina and Bay Street, some were even double parked leaving room for only one lane of traffic eastbound. It was nuts. But it was terrific to see it so busy down there and everyone smiling.
Khristopher, when were the lights tested? If it was last night I'll kick myself, I cycled right by there twice to see the fireworks at Ontario Place last night

The best part of that article is the bit about the German tourist stereotypically complaining about the inefficiency of the service! :D

I sat at the Spadina Quay today feeding KFC to ducks (poor ducks) as I admired the end of slip deck.

The benches are indeed very nice and form the security barrier to the water rather than a rail. It looks absolutely gorgeous. The wood used is stained and the legs are metal... thankfully that prior bench was just a template as was pointed out.

Most of the hoarding was gone which revealed the kind of relationship that this deck will have with Spadina and Queens Quay. I'm very happy with it.

It's very welcoming from either street and I can see that deck being used all year round, even in the snow months.

Unfortunately, I was sans camera but I'm sure there'll be plenty of photos when the benches and other finishing touches are completed next week.

Back