News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

Well done! That sign should be at the end of this guy's driveway.

I dunno, front lawns can be pretty dangerous. What if he stepped on one of these?

rake.jpg

Yes, but all it's going to take is a couple more twats to hurt themselves and bitch about it until the city closes the deck because of the pressure. If this one guy wins his case, you'll see countless followers in a monkey-see, monkey-do style string of injuries and court cases. Once the city realizes that it can't afford to battle the mass of idiots, it'll just seal off the deck permanently.

Sometimes people really make me angry.

There are, unfortunately people out there who are looking for exactly these types of scenarios - where they can, slip, trip, fall and hurt themselves and then sue. Its a full time scamming job, and there are thousands of assheads who do it. Mr. Thomas is no different.

It is known that architects will make specific changes to their buildings for exactly this reason and then take out huge liability insurance policies to cover anything they may have missed. As an example; a woman walked past an office building, which happened to be finished in rough concrete- as she walked past she scraped her arm and leg and consequently sued for $1 million and won - claiming that she was not able to walk properly and the mental anguish of having experienced this traumatic moment. The building owner subsequently sued the architect who luckily had insurance. The building was changed on the ground floor so that the concrete was smooth and wouldn't allow for another such incident, also on the architects insurance dime.

p5

Toronto's new multi milion-dollar award-winning wave decks on Queen's Quay shouldn't be altered because of safety concerns, some city councillors say.

Over the past year, the first three of four curvy, wavy, wooden-deck structures at the foot of Spadina Ave., Simcoe, and Rees Sts. have been opened to much acclaim and criticism, but mostly for aesthetic reasons.

This week, though, a local resident who fell on the Simcoe wave deck -- severing a tendon and breaking his kneecap in July -- said he is planning to sue the city because he thinks they are unsafe.

Even the Canadian Safety League warned of "significant" injury risk and potential lawsuits against the city back in July, before Paul Thomas' mishap was reported.

Safety advocates told the Sun Thursday the 650-square-metre wooden boardwalk at the foot of Simcoe St., which has a 42-degree slope at the steepest part, should be closed until engineers make it safer.

But that is not likely going to happen, according to the political masters at City Hall, many of whom stressed yesterday the wave decks were built according to the province's building codes and are safe to use.

Councillor Adam Vaughan, whose ward encompasses all of the wave decks built so far, said "nothing is risk-free" and individuals need to use their own judgement when it comes to using city infrastructure, whether it's the wave decks or playground structures in city parks, all of which he said are built to code.

"The reality is, you put a bike ring on the sidewalk, you can put 10 signs up but somebody might still walk into it," he said, adding he is sympathetic towards Thomas and his injuries. "(But) the city can't sign and make safe every piece of infrastructure, it's just impossible."

The wave decks are the first step in a complete revitalization of Queen's Quay, he said.

"We're pushing the envelope on design here a little bit, but we're pushing the envelope on aesthetics, not on safety."

Councillor Peter Milczyn agreed there is some risk everywhere and individuals needs to exercise caution when using certain structures. There are signs at the wave decks warning users of uneven surfaces and asking people to use caution.

"The risk assessment people, whether at the city or anywhere else, would create a very boring world if it were one completely devoid of anything that might remotely pose a hazard to anybody," Milczyn said.

He said the only reason the city should revisit the wave decks is if some safety code was inadvertently missed by the city's risk assessment team.

"But I've seen the wave decks, and they don't seem to me that they are inherently unsafe, and I don't think somebody takes a risk walking on it," he said.

Councillor Rob Ford, though, thinks the city should look into the safety of the wave decks, now that someone has come forward with a complaint about them.

"If it (an injury) happened to one person, how many other people has it happened to and they haven't reported it?" he asked. "At the end of the day, if it is unsafe, then we have to make it safe."

The wave decks are part of Waterfront Toronto's revitalization of Queen's Quay, and are costing all three levels of government $16 million combined, with the federal government paying for most of the construction.

They were designed by Rotterdam firm West 8, and have won several architecture awards since first opening last September.

BRYN.WEESE@SUNMEDIA.CA

I imagine Ford's gripe comes from the fact that his considerable girth prevents him from frolicking on the 'Decks like the rest of us.

Just a thought.

On the bright side, the padding should be more than sufficient to protect against hard impact...or serve as a flotation device in case the accident happened on the other side of the deck. In either case, I don't he can blame malfunctions of the mental kind on any accident though, given previous precedents.

AoD

I think more people will slip and fall on all the crap people a spilling all over the deck !!

I saw pudding, pop, juice, all over the place. What are people thinking???

I don't know, guys. Seems a little unfortunate to harass the guy personally. What good could it do? Is getting a bunch of self-righteous mail from some kids on an internet forum (who seem to think that 47 is old) going to make you change your mind?

There are a lot of good outlets for activism, but I don't think this is one.

Frivolous lawsuits require a caustic response. It's about time. Public rebuke is probably the only thing left to communicate the general disgust at the idea of people who can't take responsibility for their own actions and need to blame others. Did anyone force Paul Thomas up the incline? Did he suspect that somehow the laws of physics no longer applied? Did he need a big warning sign, or a gentle guide kindly offering a spoken warning? Should his mother have accompanied him and held his hand?

I've seen two cyclists wipe out on the decks. They were both pissed off that they crashed, whined about the decks, but could never accept the fact that nearby signs indicated that bikes were not allowed. One swore at me after I pointed out he was not supposed to be cycling on the structure.

Thomas appears to be ready to harass taxpayers with his law suit, so he should be prepared to hear what they have to say. I'd imagine he's the type of individual who would be gloating as the wave deck is ripped up to save the lives of people who fail to claim a capacity to navigate the world around them. It'd be a pay cheque and his fifteen minutes of fame.

Sounds like his lawyer is ready to cash in on the stupidity of his client, too. Lucky us, now maybe we can get a big child-proof waterfront. Does anyone else see the lumber of the wave decks being refashioned into baby crib railings to keep everyone safely away from the dangerous waters by HT0 Park?

I couldn't find the other, more appropriate thread for this, but I've heard differing things, in that the Queen's Quay renovation will start in 2010, and as well that it won't. Has anyone read/heard any details I haven't?

It was approved by the city last month or so - there's a relatively short provincial EA to complete as well which will include public sessions / input of some form. But at this point it's pretty much set - it's going to be 2 lanes of car traffic and the streetcars on the south side.

In terms of the project start - 2010/2011 sounds about right - it still dependent on funding ... yes there is money on the table but where it will be allocated to isn't set in stone yet.

There is a ton of other stuff going on now too on the eastern half

Work will start in 2010 with the rebuilding of the north side of the QQ.

Working drawings have been underway for sometime and with the City approval, it will be step up. Once the EA is approved by the Ministry, full steam.

With TO now getting the PAM AM Games, things will shift to the next gear to get the Waterfront and Transit done by 2014.

I expect to see the Cherry St Underpass rebuilt surface sooner than later as it is needed to connect the QQ transit to the village.

2010 is going to be an interesting year of announcements.

Yep, that's the beauty of having a deadline like this and a justification for getting things done: the push will be on for transit, infrastructure, and revitalization projects.

The Queens Quay extension, the Waterfront East streetcar, GO's enhancements, the completion of more of the Waterfront renewal plans than would otherwise have been done by 2015, Union Station's refurbishment, Blue 22, some sort of connection between Union and the athlete's village -- all will take on a new focus and sense of urgency. This is going out on a limb, but we may even see some of King have temporary dedicated streetcar lanes for the duration of the games. To a much lesser degree, there may even be some sort of push to start on some of the Entertainment District master plan projects like John Street in order to put the city's best side forward.

This also means that the streetcar orders are probably safe, TTC budget cuts may be spared, and any of the remaining Transit City lines that connect to games sites will probably get the nod.

The next 12-18 months are going to be interesting indeed.

Back