News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

3621552882_325fbb32d6_o.jpg

I hope that little tyke didn't get too many slivers sliding down...

Right now I'm at the Simcoe slip looking at Adrian Geuze, John Campbell and another guy all smiling from ear to ear. It's a kodak moment, I wish I had a camera.

Kids are using the wavedeck as "timber slides" and the entire central waterfront is packed.

Standing here, with people using it, you understand why the rails are where they are and they do add another dimension to the deck. From the perspective where I'm standing, the different levels of hills and rails remind me of different layers of waves on the ocean.

Whoever says nothing is being done on Toronto's waterfront now has 1,000,000 + people to refute them.

Cool video. LoL @ the Asian guy with the newborn. That was dangerous.

You have to be there to appreciate how steep it is. Everybody, go see it. You'll be proud of Toronto's changing waterfront. I want to go back once Luminato is over to be able to take it in and get some good photos.

You also have to be there to understand why they put the rails there. They frame a playground on the wavedeck. All the playing concentrates within that space while the exterior of the area is more relaxing. Brilliant landscaping/architectural work. Adrian Geuze is now my fav landscape architect. Brilliant.

Can't wait 'til the Queens Quay transformation happens.

I did spot one problem with what's going to be a speeding streetcar ROW disguised as as a grass corridor side by side with a sidewalk. They had the south lane closed off for Luminato and people were just walking into the streetcar ROW, even with it being raised and paved.

They're going to have to add rails along the entire length of Queen's Quay or maybe get creative by using low bushes separating the sidewalk from the ROW.

Last edited:
Cool video. LoL @ the Asian guy with the newborn. That was dangerous.

You have to be there to appreciate how steep it is. Everybody, go see it. You'll be proud of Toronto's changing waterfront. I want to go back once Luminato is over to be able to take it in and get some good photos.

You also have to be there to understand why they put the rails there. They frame a playground on the wavedeck. All the playing concentrates within that space while the exterior of the area is more relaxing. Brilliant landscaping/architectural work. Adrian Geuze is now my fav landscape architect. Brilliant.

Can't wait 'til the Queens Quay transformation happens.

I did spot one problem with what's going to be a speeding streetcar ROW disguised as as a grass corridor side by side with a sidewalk. They had the south lane closed off for Luminato and people were just walking into the streetcar ROW, even with it being raised and paved.

They're going to have to add rails along the entire length of Queen's Quay or maybe get creative by using low bushes separating the sidewalk from the ROW.

You will have trees between the sidewalk and the Martin Goodman Trail that will have trees between it and the Streetcar ROW. No need for railing

Maybe we're a little deprived of unique and interesting public spaces but I really didn't find this all that exciting. Yeah it's cool use of wood but I just couldn't help but think how many people are going to get hurt - especially children. Imagine when there's a little bit of ice or snow or even rain? I can totally see people falling flat on their chins.

In fact, when I was there a little girl fell, scrapped her knee and cried forever. Another kid hit his head on the railing and again more crying. Wasn't that fun of an experience for me.

Last edited:
Getting hurt is part of growing up. How much fun would you have if you were overprotected all your childhood? :rolleyes: Besides, playgrounds are MUCH more dangerous.

This looks successful to me because it gives kids something to do, and is a place for adults to enjoy aswell. It looks damn fine while doing it, too.

Our New Blue Edge!

I absolutely love the new wave deck and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them being completed! Its such a unique concept that celebrates Toronto's waterfront.

There was tons of buzz along Queen's Quay and kudos to Waterfront Toronto for opening the wave deck it in time for Luminato.

A+ again to Waterfront Toronto for the exciting promotional materials being handed out. The postcards being distributed by volunteers depicting the designs of future wave decks, bridges and Queen's Quay was a fantastic campaign. People also loved the handy visual map of current and future waterfront projects.

Louroz

i noticed that there was no promotional material for the portland wavedeck (by dan leckie way). a lady from waterfront toronto told me that it was no longer a priority. that's too bad, but then again not as many people wander out that far west.

i think they're also having some difficulty connecting the martin goodman trail from stadium road to spadina avenue.

Back