News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

As for kids potentially falling in the water, they can do that anywhere along the waterfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
...oh... and a comment on the Simcoe Wavedeck: wow! That's effing hot! I was a little weary of having those rails but they turned out great. A safety concern: They're quite open though... a kid can walk right under them and fall in the water.

One crucial night element is yet to come: lighting up under the wavedeck. That is going to be a beauty!! :D

If you look closely you can see tiny holes in the poles. They will be strung with wire, so no children will fall through. I think there will be 3 of them.

Brilliant!
I like how trees are illuminated from below near the wavedecks, I'd like to see more of that along our main avenues in the spring, summer & fall. It's creates such a soothing and ambient effect.

I often wonder what if Sir Norman Foster's design had been chosen.... what would we have today? I doubt those tear drop buildings would be up.

The beauty of West8/DTAH's plan is that it was almost instantly doable. The wave decks and bridges will all be up by 2010 (according to the latest document I've seen) and the Queens Quay transformation should begin next year also.

We really struck gold by picking this plan.

Construction is to start fall 2010. Somethings may start sooner depending how fast the detail drawings get done.

The ROW work will start after the EX is over.

Changing of the traffic lights will have to take place first before moving traffic to the north.

The east westbound traffic will move to the ROW so that section can be built for 2 way traffic. Once this done, then the ROW and the eastbound lanes and sidewalk will be torn up and be rebuilt.

Work will start tearing up the existing portal on day one since it has to be rebuilt for a T interscetion as well extending it to the east of Yonge St. The sewer line at Yonge St has to be reloated before the new east portal can be built.

I was an am impress with the West 8 design and it is having an effect on other projects not been done by West 8 for the better.

Come 2012 opening day, people will be impress with the transformation of Queens Quay.

The wavedecks, bridges, boardwalk, H20 Park and Queens Quay would satisfy many people as the promised "Waterfront Revitalization". The great news is that it goes way beyond that to East Bayfront, West Donlands, Port Lands, Gardiner removal from Jarvis, new North-South access points (i.e. Simcoe underpass, Portland bridge) and so on...

By 2012 we'll have a revitalized waterfront. Everything after that is gravy. :D

Construction is to start fall 2010. Somethings may start sooner depending how fast the detail drawings get done.

The ROW work will start after the EX is over.

Changing of the traffic lights will have to take place first before moving traffic to the north.

The east westbound traffic will move to the ROW so that section can be built for 2 way traffic. Once this done, then the ROW and the eastbound lanes and sidewalk will be torn up and be rebuilt.

Work will start tearing up the existing portal on day one since it has to be rebuilt for a T interscetion as well extending it to the east of Yonge St. The sewer line at Yonge St has to be reloated before the new east portal can be built.

I was an am impress with the West 8 design and it is having an effect on other projects not been done by West 8 for the better.

Come 2012 opening day, people will be impress with the transformation of Queens Quay.

Drum, do you have a schedule for the next wavedecks?

Announced
- Portland
- Parliament

Suggested
- Yonge
- York
- Jarvis

Also, what's happening with John St. Quay? Originally there were plans for a wavedeck there. That seems to have been dropped.

Last edited:
The wavedecks, bridges, boardwalk, H20 Park and Queens Quay would satisfy many people as the promised "Waterfront Revitalization". The great news is that it goes way beyond that to East Bayfront, West Donlands, Port Lands, Gardiner removal from Jarvis, new North-South access points (i.e. Simcoe underpass, Portland bridge) and so on...

By 2012 we'll have a revitalized waterfront. Everything after that is gravy. :D

and it still amazes me at how many people still think that nothing is being done at the waterfront. not to mention the "why are we wasting all this money on plans when it'll never get built" phrase being thrown around once in awhile.

Instant landmark! Beautiful shots, Torontovibe

Lets not forget, it's going to look even better with Queen's Quay revitalization. These wave decks will be surrounded by trees, beautiful wide stone sidewalks, our new sleek streetcars, and (eventually) new buildings on the empty waterfront lots. All of this extending to the Don River. This transformation is truly inspirational!

Waterfront Quay to city

Last week, the plan to remake Queens Quay, including changing the two lanes of traffic south of the TTC streetcar tracks to a pedestrian place with bikes, walkers and mature trees, unanimously passed executive committee at City Hall. Construction should start next fall. By 2013, Queens Quay will be a different world -- and Geuze believes it will be one of the 10 great streets in the world.

But action is happening right now. This Thursday, Geuze will join the mayor to open Toronto's second of five wave decks at the foot of Simcoe St. This rolling deck is something to see. In July the Rees St. wave deck debuts.

The design Geuze and his Netherlands-based West 8 firm brought to Toronto is all about bringing the cottage to the city. "In Toronto and Canada, when you talk about the waterfront you think trees, nature, decks," he said. "That's not what's here."

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/rob_granatstein/2009/06/07/9703086-sun.html

sorry in advance for the cellphone quality

Light under the deck

Image024.jpg

They were testing the lights tonight. A lot of handeail to get finish in 2 days.

IMG_june-08-09-0049.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0050.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0051.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0052.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0053.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0054.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0055.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0056.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0058.JPG

IMG_june-08-09-0059.JPG

Wow awesome pictures. I wonder how long all these will last before they start breaking down.

Wow... that's not a handrail, it's a rollercoaster!

The curious thing is, there's a point where those poles cease to being handrails and become tripping hazards. I'm assuming they included those lower rails to prevent bikes and skateboards from taking advantage of the hills, but I question the aesthetic value and safety that is lost in exchange.

I guess I'll have to see that in person, but right now, I see a lot of people going down that hill and tripping over the lower rail at the bottom.

Also, from what I can tell, the rails form a close loop, almost acting like a barrier to prevent people from going to the highest point of the hill. That's an odd design choice.

Last edited:
I guess you could easily step over the rail. It's no more than a foot high at its lowest point. That's probably the idea: anybody stepping over that rail is consciously accepting the risk of standing at the top of the hump.

Oh... the prices we pay to live in a padded wall society :(

I think it ruins the aesthetic fluency of the wave deck. At least they can be ignored from afar.

Back