News   Jul 15, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 592     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

Looking at the photo's from today, they show some of the boards have been fix or replace since Tuesday when I shot this video from the east end.

Looking at the east end and the west end on Tueday, the east end looked uneven with a bigger gap at the ends as well between them. Where the post are, they were more uneven.

Looks likes next weekend will see the slip ready for the public to use it.

Is one supposed to sit facing the water on those benches by the edge of the lake or are you supposed to sit away from it, because it seems awfully close to the edge and easy to fall in otherwise?? :confused:

aren't pimply faced skateboarders going to be attracted to this setup in droves? are the edges of the benches smooth, or do they have some sort of anti skateboard raised bumps?

Is one supposed to sit facing the water on those benches by the edge of the lake or are you supposed to sit away from it, because it seems awfully close to the edge and easy to fall in otherwise??

Indeed....looks a bit dangerous to me - there are no railings/safety barriers???:confused:

somehow i had a feeling that the person taking pictures today at the slip was from UT. i'm actually in one of the pics lol!

i pretty much took the same photos but here are some different ones.

DSC08662.jpg
Hilarious, what a coincidence. That's me walking my bike trying to get a good shot behind the fence!

aren't pimply faced skateboarders going to be attracted to this setup in droves? are the edges of the benches smooth, or do they have some sort of anti skateboard raised bumps?

Those look like some nice ledges to grind. I'm sure it will attract skateboarders, but it might not be the best place since the deck is not a smooth surface and skateboard wheels are small. It will be a bit bumpy but might work out fine for the time being. If it is decent, then it will be popular with Hogtown just a bit north at King.

I know I'm going to be pounced on here but I have to admit that I don't like the placement of the benches or the handrail. The benches are way too close to the water. I would prefer to see them more to the back on the upper level, giving people a place to sit but allowing others to sit and sprawl on the tiers in a more informal way. The benches also look sort of bulky where the simple wave of the edge should be more crisp and minimal for effect. I'm only judging this from the pictures though, it may look completely different in person.

Tewder:

I think (not 100% sure) the benches are placed there to serve as a barrier to the edge of the slip in addition to its' use as seating and the need for the former might be regulatory in nature.

AoD

Indeed....looks a bit dangerous to me - there are no railings/safety barriers???

While I agree that the benches are kind of to close to the edge, I don't see the need for a railing. Free and open is the way it should remain- I want to dangle on the edge of danger...Oooohhhh.

Previously, people on this board complained that the H20 park had chains blocking it off from the water, not to mention that it was raised away from the water for safety concerns. Now, this one doesn't have any safety rails, or chains people are crying foul! - no offence YYZ.

p5

Those look like some nice ledges to grind. I'm sure it will attract skateboarders, but it might not be the best place since the deck is not a smooth surface and skateboard wheels are small. It will be a bit bumpy but might work out fine for the time being. If it is decent, then it will be popular with Hogtown just a bit north at King.

Yes, terrible for skateboarding. The slats in the wood which makes the bridge would make for a hell of a ride, and you're not going to be grinding wood (it is wood, right?) benches anytime soon. Your trucks would dig right in. Also, even your average pimply skater would notice that if anything went wrong, your board would be in the lake.

I am not sure how they expect some people to get to the water facing side of those benches (step up on them?). Their placement certainly indicates 'regulatory barrier' rather than 'convenient resting spot'.

I think the whole risk management thing is taken a little too far - there are inherent risks (and joy!) with being close to the water, but people should be able to take that risk and enjoy it if they chose to do so.

Personally, I am more concerned about how they will winterize the space. Gawd forbid they should use salt and shovels on the slip.

AoD

i like the design of the slip and the view out to the lake is nice. especially when that white ship comes in, as it did when i was there. it's also a good spot to sit down and watch the airplanes land.

however, i'd probably move the bench-barrier back from the waters edge just a tad. having another 50cm or so would give a bit more room if people were to stand up on the side closer to the edge. another thing is to make access points throughout so that you don't have to swing your feet over to look out to the lake.

otherwise, it looks really good and the smell of the fresh wood is great.

I think the whole risk management thing is taken a little too far - there are inherent risks (and joy!) with being close to the water, but people should be able to take that risk and enjoy it if they chose to do so.

Personally, I am more concerned about how they will winterize the space. Gawd forbid they should use salt and shovels on the slip.

AoD

Naw, they will just close the space off. :rolleyes:

Back