News   Apr 19, 2024
 112     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 466     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 812     3 

Hazelton Hotel/Condo (Yorkrow, 9s, P+S/IBI Group) COMPLETE

more of an orange than pink and a pretty good impression of the don valley brick works brick

I made a detour to walk by this building tonight and then made sure to come back and look at it again. The attention to detail - the biggest failure of all condos built in Toronto - is absolutely superb. There are decorative windows, granite paving, edges that are trim and doors that are perfectly flush. They are decorating the inside and it looks like it got the same bespoke treatment. Even the parking entranceway looks inviting and decorative.

The massing and detail are great, but it is the upper levels that truly make this building stand out, imo.

I do not mind the busy-ness of the building and I like the use of materials (which actually look better in real life than the photos). What I am unsure about it, are all those pillars out front. I am not a huge fan of retail behind pillars and I am not sure whether this building suffers from it. I remember seeing that much of the retail was almost flush with the very pronounced pillars but it is hard to tell from these photos.

I will pass ultimate judgment (and I am sure the developers and architects can't wait) when its is clear how the building integrates with the street.

I certainly prefer what was there before, and I think it's a shame that this project got built on this site, but it's a good building. I'd love to see it somewhere else, ideally on the edge of the district. The materials are pretty good, though I worry about the pillars. I'm sure the retail will be successful, though, since it is Yorkville after all. It seems to suggest a Prince Arthurization of Yorkville. Hopefully that stops here.

When I walked by this a few days ago, I couldn't get over the details. It's been beautifully executed.

Even the lighting above the retail units/ground floor windows, the masonry and how it meets the glass... everything was just "wow".

And window frames that aren't metallic/silver! Thank you, God!

Link to article

The lap of luxury
The Hazelton Hotel Is Aiming To Be The Poshest Place In Town When It Opens Its Doors This Week. What Does This Mean For Guests? Maryam Siddiqi Investigates

Maryam Siddiqi
National Post

Saturday, August 04, 2007

New York has the Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles has the Hotel Bel-Air, and on Tuesday, Toronto will have the Hazelton -- the city's first five-star hotel. It's only the beginning for the highest of the high-end inns: There are four more such properties scheduled to open in the city within the next four years.

(Technically, the Hazelton, which sits across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel in Yorkville, can be awarded a star designation by Mobil only after it has opened, but the property has been designed with five stars in mind.)

Its 77 guest rooms, which start at $405 nightly for 500 square feet and run up to $5,000 for a 4,200-square-foot suite, are crammed with opulence. Everything from the heated marble slabs in the bathrooms (the largest in the city) to the number of hangers in each room's closet has been carefully deliberated and decided on. So just how many hangers does a five-star closet hold? We dissect the Hazelton -- from suites to guest services -- to discern what exactly makes a five-star so shiny.

Reception

When Klaus Tenter first heard about the Hazelton eight years ago, he thought, "Oh, we don't need another hotel in the neighbourhood." Three years later, Peter Cohen and Bruce Greenberg, the property's owners, talked the former Four Seasons executive out of retirement and into the president's offices of the new venture.

"At the end of the day, it's the customer judging the hotel based on services," says Tenter, who was an executive with the Four Seasons for 30 years. "Should the pillow be flat or round? Feathers or foam? I want to know their birthday and anniversary, so we can send an amenity on those days," he explains. Tenter also aspires to have the doormen greet guests with their room key as a way of personalizing and speeding up the check-in process.

ONE

One is actually the third restaurant for chef Mark McEwan, who has already conquered uptown (North 44) and downtown (Bymark). The 250-seat restaurant, which features a private dining area for 80 people and an outdoor patio for 70, also serves as the hotel's 24-hour room service provider. There's no need to settle for a soggy sandwich at 3 a.m. here: Guests can choose from barbecue rib ravioli with miso seared scallops, crab falafel with tahini, chili and coriander or seared foie gras with split-pit peaches.

SILVER PRIVATE SCREENING ROOM

The Hazelton's signature offering is this private cinema, which seats 25. Designed by Christopher Hansen of Beverly Hills' Simply Home Entertainment (read: movie theatre designer to the stars!), the room is equipped with $2-million worth of technology, custom Italian leather seating, 16-foot ceilings and mohair-lined walls for soundproofing. Don't worry about upsizing your popcorn: Mark McEwan's team at One caters for this room as well. The theatre is booked through the film festival, hosting five to seven screenings per day. It's $600 for a two-hour minimum; $2,400 is the all-day rate (eight hours), and there's no Hot Ticket Tuesdays.

SUITES

Guests will be swathed in lush Italian linen from Mascioni (the bedding will be washed three or four times before being put in rooms) and have Bulgari toiletries for use in the oversized soaking tub or separate rain shower. At least one 42" LCD HDTV will be available (those in the executive and luxury suites get an additional set in the washroom). No need to raise much more than your finger for anything else in the room. A control panel near the bed allows guests to open the curtains, for example, at the touch of a button. Press a button on this control panel as well to inform housekeeping that you're not to be disturbed. But if you need more than the 22 hangers provided, you'll have to ask.

SPA

The Hazelton's health club aims to make sweat luxurious. A private elevator will whisk guests to a lap pool decorated with imported mosaic tiles fromItalianfirmBisazza, or time can be spent in one of the spa's four treatment rooms -- the Hazelton is the city's exclusive provider of Valmont, a Swiss skin-care line. The hotel will also offer personalized stretch programs for those needing a break during business meetings.

It looks good. It'll probably end up fitting in better than some of the others going up nearby.

Yorkville1.jpg

Those weren't AWFUL, but this is still perfect for the site. Such an improvement, and one more great investment put into Yorkville.

I totally agree. The Hazelton looks great...I was just walking by it earlier this afternoon and they were setting up what looks to be a very swish wrap-around patio.

they were setting up what looks to be a very swish wrap-around patio.

Indeed. We were downtown last night, the hotel is definitely not open yet, but it looks like it will be very soon. The wrap-around patio is going to be quite large, and should add even more streetlife to the Yorkville scene. Looking through a window of the hotel on Hazelton, we saw what looked like a group of chefs having some sort of meeting..

Yorkville was hopping last night.

Back