News   May 03, 2024
 539     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 339     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 193     0 

Harper's Management Style and Lebanon

The point isn't necessarily who is elected in what numbers. The government shouldn't do things that the vast majority of the Canadian population opposes, unless it has a very good reason.

A minority government that tries to ramrod an agenda through using political brinksmanship isn't behaving in a way that is conducive to a stable and healthy democracy. You seem to be suggesting that any government, once elected, could do anything and everything it wanted, regardless of the will of the people. They'll be judged at the next election, anyway, right? That seems foolish to me. That is how things are, to some extent; not the way things should be. Sometimes we need governments that are willing to ignore polling and do what's 'right' or good for the country. But for the most part they shouldn't go too far beyond what the electorate wants.

Liberal hegemony was a phenomenon resulting from a divided "right"

Then it was hardly hegemonic from that perspective. However, since parties are voted in, if the Liberal's were hegemonic, it would be so by virtue of the people's electoral choice.

"The point isn't necessarily who is elected in what numbers. The government shouldn't do things that the vast majority of the Canadian population opposes, unless it has a very good reason"

This is a complete contradiction: the popular vote *is* an indication of what the majority of Canadians want.

"A minority government that tries to ramrod an agenda through using political brinksmanship isn't behaving in a way that is conducive to a stable and healthy democracy"

Neither is a dictatorial majority government for that matter. Still, I find the concept of a minority government 'ramroding' anything to be foolish beyond belief. In a minority situation all parties are implicitly playing this 'brinkmanship' strategy you mention. It's par for the course.

"Sometimes we need governments that are willing to ignore polling and do what's 'right' or good for the country. But for the most part they shouldn't go too far beyond what the electorate wants."

This is a beautiful sentiment, but who's concept of what's 'right' for the country are you personnally advocating? Tyranny of the majority perhaps? Election result mandates that don't represent the popular vote results?

Yes, obviously tyranny of the majority! That's the whole point of a democratic system. The majority, however determined, chooses which policies to implement. Most democracies also have a constitution to protect minorities from excessive infringement of their rights.

"This is a complete contradiction: the popular vote *is* an indication of what the majority of Canadians want."

I don't know what country you think you live in, but in Canada, the popular vote is irrelevent. A party could be elected with a majority with 25% or less popular vote (theoretically, if not in practice).

"Neither is a dictatorial majority government for that matter. Still, I find the concept of a minority government 'ramroding' anything to be foolish beyond belief. In a minority situation all parties are implicitly playing this 'brinkmanship' strategy you mention. It's par for the course."

There are many countries that manage to have minority governments that actually govern through consensus building rather than the largest party saying 'My way or the highway'.

"Election result mandates that don't represent the popular vote results?"

No they don't. That's partly why FPTP needs to be abandoned.

Wow. Kenney's a dick - not exactly breaking news, but I guess Harper's loosening the gags on his caucus, or not paying attention.

And can I invoke Godwin's Law WRT Hezbollah and the Nazis?

^I like how Kenney speaks as if he gets to decide on negotiating anything with Hezbollah.

Open negotiations up and suddenly everyone's conduct is on the line. You either look reasonable or you don't.

Back