News   Jun 25, 2024
 658     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 693     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Hakim Optical - Dundas Square

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The local market is going to be flooded with new hotel capacity, and that might make a developer put up something half-ass.

I disagree. A tower with thought would look too out of place at Dundas & Victoria. Build Now!

The purpose of keeping the original brick on the bottom was? (It was just too beautiful to tear down?) Who thought that was a good idea and why?

The people responsible for all aspects of this building need glasses.

The purpose of keeping the original brick on the bottom was? (It was just too beautiful to tear down?) Who thought that was a good idea and why?

I think there was some discussion of this earlier in the thread (or elsewhere?) and the consensus seemed to be that by making this a 'renovation' rather than a new building they could avoid problems with the City. One assumes that for a renovation you must leave something of the old building in place. It really is THE most inappropriate and slow 'developent'!

^ My mistake. It's Toronto Public Health. Anyhow, their intention is to move to another site and sell the land of that building to a hotel developer. It's too valuable to have it being used as office space for the city and has a lot more potential as a hotel.

Actually, im pretty sure Ryerson is in talks with the City to take over that space. Its listed as an expansion property under the master plan. Ryerson was thinking of using some of the density for office space and student housing.

Back to the Hakim building. OMG LOVE IT! Why can't we have more of these all over the city?

Last edited:
Jan 20 Visited

It looks like the current wall will be finally in place by month ends.
IMG_jan-20-10-0051.jpg

IMG_jan-20-10-0055.jpg

IMG_jan-20-10-0057.jpg

The building you guys all hate to love, or is it love to hate? :p How can you go wrong with a brick base and a glass box? I thought you guys all loved your blue/grey/green glass boxes? lol

[video=youtube;hBBuyuiGFPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBBuyuiGFPQ[/video]

It looks like the current wall will be finally in place by month ends.
IMG_jan-20-10-0051.jpg

I checked for progress here since Drum's last update on Jan. 21st, it's moving slow. I'm now convinced the Yonge & Dundas area cursed.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I think it's looking quite nice actually. I'm glad they kept the old brick at the base... it gives it a bit of urban grit to contrast the shiny new glass.

Are we going to see this projected completed this year??

Finally, all the current wall is up with 2 broken sections.

Hakim continues to hobble along.
I went into their store that's still open across the street looking for "cheaters". I asked lady "when does your new store open across the street"? Nice woman rolls eyes and shrugs shoulders.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

This dreary building continues to move on and today they are installing the glass in the windows on the ground floor so I think the fencing will FINALLY be removed - several pieces were gone today but they might reappear or simply have rotted!. From what I could see, the ground floor is as ghastly as the rest so we may all soon have to petition to get the construction fence back. What a total waste of effort and, I assume, money.

Walked by today. The steel fin on the top has been covered in silver cladding, looks a lot better than it did months ago. Yet I still don't understand why it hasn't opened yet. Entire civilizations have been built before this thing has even gotten off the ground.

Back