News   Aug 27, 2024
 864     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 557     0 

Gun Crime Capital of Canada? NOT Toronto.

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
This doesn't come as news probably to most of us, but it just shows how horrendously the media blows crime in Toronto out of proportion, and subsequently tars the city's image across the country as an "unsafe" place. Being from Edmonton, I can easily say I feel a lot safer walking around downtown Toronto than I do in Downtown Edmonton. ... and not that I don't love my hometown.

City leads country in gun slayings
Rate more than double Toronto's

Trish Audette and Jamie Hall
The Edmonton Journal

Thursday, October 18, 2007

EDMONTON - Edmonton has the worst record in Canada for firearms homicides, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday.

Fifteen of the area's 39 homicide victims died by gunfire last year, giving the city and surrounding area the highest rate among Canada's largest cities.

The figures were included in a report that showed a 10-per-cent drop in the national homicide rate in 2006 after two years of increases.

While Greater Toronto had 34 shooting deaths in 2006, the numbers are based on population, which makes Toronto's rate less than half that of Greater Edmonton.

The finding comes on the heels of a provincewide gun amnesty last year that allowed Albertans to hand over unregistered firearms without punishment.

Edmonton police Chief Mike Boyd said the service may discuss offering another such amnesty with the province.

"I'm concerned about every single homicide we have in this city," Boyd said.

He noted that the City of Edmonton had 36 homicides last year compared with 39 in 2005. At this time last year, city police reported 11 gun-related homicides, compared with eight victims of fatal gunshot wounds this year.

Boyd also said the jump in gun-related murders is due partly to a triple slaying at a downtown nightclub last November.

"We're going to be continuing to work on our gun violence and all of our violence," he said, adding the city police force maintains close ties with nearby RCMP detachments in fighting organized crime.

According to the Statistics Canada study, handguns were used in homicides more often than shotguns and rifles in 2006. And the majority of firearms recovered from homicides were not registered with the Canadian Firearms Centre.

Despite the statistics, shooting deaths were actually down overall, and knives overtook guns as homicide weapons.

Over the past 20 years, shootings and stabbings across the country have each accounted for about a third of all homicides.

The report also showed that Edmonton is no longer the murder capital of the country, a fact first revealed in July in a StatsCan report on overall crime figures. That dubious distinction, held for 2005, now belongs to Regina, which had nine homicides in 2006, or 3.97 per 100,000 population. Edmonton was second highest, with 36, or 3.68 per 100,000.

The rate of killings by offenders 17 and under was at its highest ever last year, at 18.

taudette@thejournal.canwest.com

jhall@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

just becuase were not the worse does not mean its not a serious issue.

Gun homicides are the worst, because there's the possible of stray bullets. In other news, we might surpass 1991's record number of homicides (which was 88). But was that for the entire 416, or just the old city of Toronto?

It's a serious issue, but as usual the city has been negatively stereotyped and it isn't even the worst spot in the country for that specific crime.

What, Alberta? Go'wan, you're kidding me. Here's a feather, knock me over with it. :)

Actually, the only thing that surprises me is that it's Edmonton and not Calgary.

Gun homicides are the worst, because there's the possible of stray bullets. In other news, we might surpass 1991's record number of homicides (which was 88). But was that for the entire 416, or just the old city of Toronto?

It was for the 416.

were at 68 this year, rather high i think but it was not majority gun related.

Really if people stab each other we would not care, because the chance of a third party getting injured is impossible. Not the case for gun at all, and thats why we all become more serious about it.

Stabbings are messy, close-range, and require a higher degree of physical effort than shootings, so I think we would care - or at least take note - if they became more common.

Provided you stay out of trouble, Toronto's always been a safe place. Many of our homicides, however caused involve those involved in gangs, drugs or other criminal behaviour. This is why the average person living in the 416 sees the disparity of shootings and violent crime in the news, but rarely sees any themselves.

I live in Cabbagetown, and have, in my memory, had at least two gangsta's shot and killed within blocks of my house. Meanwhile, I tend my garden, and raise my kids in the area, and never experience (knock on wood) any violent criminal activity.

I'd bet that if you removed the gang on gang shootings, you'd find that our gun-related homicide rate was very low.

Even your place is not the crime city capital it doesn't mean that you're safe. I think every place is not safe.

What a dreadful, cowardly philosophy with which to view life. I have never felt unsafe in Toronto and I have no intention of letting some thug with a gun make my decisions for me.

What a dreadful, cowardly philosophy with which to view life. I have never felt unsafe in Toronto and I have no intention of letting some thug with a gun make my decisions for me.

Do you make a habit of locking your door when you leave your place of residence? Then you're not exactly feeling 100% unsafe.

Just being "smart" there.

Back