News   Apr 18, 2024
 659     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

GTHA Regional Transit Amalgamation Discussion: Superlinx/Subway Upload

Didn't realize that 'spring' meant 'this week'. Some interesting tidbits on other legislation being introduced.

Ontario to introduce Toronto transit legislation Thursday
Ontario is set to introduce legislation Thursday allowing it to take over the new parts of Toronto’s transit system as it expands.
As telegraphed in recent weeks, the province is starting by taking over control and ownership of new transit projects. This scenario is akin to the Eglinton Crosstown light-rail project in midtown Toronto, which the province is building and will own.
The transit upload powers are to be part of a bigger piece of legislation that includes the possibility of higher speed limits on 400-series highways and a look at the rules around bicycles and electric scooters. The question of how or if to take over the city’s existing subway infrastructure – a more difficult matter, given questions of value and maintenance costs – has been deferred to a later date.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s the province’s proposed amendments to the Metrolinx Act. They would allow the province to designate “new rapid transit projects or rapid transit expansion projects” as “the sole responsibility of Metrolinx.” City and TTC would be “prohibited from continuing work” on them. <a href="https://t.co/qNnweiritn">pic.twitter.com/qNnweiritn</a></p>&mdash; Ben Spurr (@BenSpurr) <a href=" ">May 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s the province’s proposed amendments to the Metrolinx Act. They would allow the province to designate “new rapid transit projects or rapid transit expansion projects” as “the sole responsibility of Metrolinx.” City and TTC would be “prohibited from continuing work” on them. <a href="https://t.co/qNnweiritn">pic.twitter.com/qNnweiritn</a></p>&mdash; Ben Spurr (@BenSpurr) <a href=" ">May 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good. Weve seen what the city and TTC have done to rapid transit over the last 2 decades...little to none due to political infighting. At least now the decision can be made without flip flop bickering every election cycle and we can hold metrolinx
solely responsible if anything goes wrong. Ive always pictured metrolinx in charge of all gta transit and subdivided based on region (ML central=TTC ML north= YRT etc)

Ford's revenge against the city of Toronto. What about the other cities outside of Toronto?

I do love these pictures. You never see full subway cars in New York City or Tokyo or Paris or London. No, World Class Cities (TM) have SO many subways that they never have capacity issues or full trains. No pushing and always a spare seat!

Here's an idea, Toronto - recognize you're a huge city and that means traffic and a crowded transit system and, boo hoo, sometimes you can't get a seat because someone lives north of you or works south of you or whatever and get on with things.

^
download (1).jpg
download.jpg
Tokyo subway trains are never full?!

Good. Weve seen what the city and TTC have done to rapid transit over the last 2 decades...little to none due to political infighting. At least now the decision can be made without flip flop bickering every election cycle and we can hold metrolinx
solely responsible if anything goes wrong. Ive always pictured metrolinx in charge of all gta transit and subdivided based on region (ML central=TTC ML north= YRT etc)

More like Queen's Park that'd be solely responsible if anything goes wrong. And unless you live under a rock it's pretty darn obvious there will be plenty of flipflopping. That's all that ever happens when a new party comes in, and it's literally happening right now: screw those old plans, boy howdy we got some better ones. Heck it even happens when the same party stays in place like we saw with the previous gov't.

Might not be much bickering since party members obviously toe the line. But things will be a whole lot more political. A reprieve could be a minority government situation, but probably not much getting approved then.

I do love these pictures. You never see full subway cars in New York City or Tokyo or Paris or London. No, World Class Cities (TM) have SO many subways that they never have capacity issues or full trains. No pushing and always a spare seat!

Here's an idea, Toronto - recognize you're a huge city and that means traffic and a crowded transit system and, boo hoo, sometimes you can't get a seat because someone lives north of you or works south of you or whatever and get on with things.

Many cities in Canada need to act like real cities.

Huge cities tend to have huge rapid transit systems. Toronto's rapid transit system isn't even big, let alone huge. If Toronto is a huge city then it needs to start acting like one and build a transit system to match.

(I mean Toronto in the general sense, not the city government specifically)

Huge cities tend to have huge rapid transit systems. Toronto's rapid transit system isn't even big, let alone huge. If Toronto is a huge city then it needs to start acting like one and build a transit system to match.

(I mean Toronto in the general sense, not the city government specifically)

Yes. This is true as well. I'd never say our current system is adequate, just that people whining about how crowded a platform is or how they couldn't get on the first train because it was full have obviously never been to a "World Class City," where I've had that happen to me multiple times. NYC having a huge rapid transit system doesn't mean people can get on a train in midtown Manhattan at rush hour and expect a seat. The trains fill up heading south, just like they do here. But here everyone gets all, "It's not fair that I got on at Eglinton and couldn't get a seat!" It is fair. Because the system serves more than just you and you're in the middle of a long, crowded line.

And when the system gets huger, and the Crosstown opens, it'll probably get worse. It's a Catch 22, at best.

Yes. This is true as well. I'd never say our current system is adequate, just that people whining about how crowded a platform is or how they couldn't get on the first train because it was full have obviously never been to a "World Class City," where I've had that happen to me multiple times. NYC having a huge rapid transit system doesn't mean people can get on a train in midtown Manhattan at rush hour and expect a seat. The trains fill up heading south, just like they do here. But here everyone gets all, "It's not fair that I got on at Eglinton and couldn't get a seat!" It is fair. Because the system serves more than just you and you're in the middle of a long, crowded line.

And when the system gets huger, and the Crosstown opens, it'll probably get worse. It's a Catch 22, at best.

To a point. Ridership on GO Transit has gone up and continuing to go up. Especially on the Barrie GO Train corridor, which went up 21% by November, 2017 to 2018. See link.

Dude, you whine about Toronto's subway like all the time. That's almost all you ever do. Stations too ugly, stations too dirty, architecture is shit, it's ran into the ground, stations too small, etc. Guess curious why overcrowding is the one thing you're more than okay with when everything else clearly not.

Back