News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 646     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 922     0 

Grumpy Middle-Aged Man on Snowflake Culture

Well, I guess I'm doing something right, because all my woefully game-obsessed pothead friends all have their own places and decent jobs.

They're still man-childs though....I let them know all the time. That's love.
Once you have your own job and home, what you do for fun is all yours. I ride motorcycles, for instance.

Once you have your own job and home, what you do for fun is all yours. I ride motorcycles, for instance.

OK, so me pissing about all through my 20s was well-deserved then, seeing as I had my own home by the age of 18.
I thought so as well. :)

Do you own multiple motorcycles?
What kind?

^Nah because the perpetually offended are pushing deeply questionable laws, regulations and social norms on the rest of us.

Sounds to me like you are the one who is perpetually offended. You are seriously whining about losing your freedom and being persecuted or something. I just think it's hilarious. Somehow you have the nerve to criticized other people are being too safe and sensitive. You are one who is being a snowflake, just like all those old people who get upset about NFL players kneeling for an anthem. You want to set an example for people to stop being snowflakes, you start by not whining and acting like you are under attack. If you are not a snowflake, if nothing bothers you, then STFU. Simple. Same goes for the OP. Don't like snowflakes? Then stop bitching so much.

hahaha...you're like the lads at work when we're all yelling at each other angrily to stfu and calm the fuck down. ^

Sounds to me like you are the one who is perpetually offended. You are seriously whining about losing your freedom and being persecuted or something. I just think it's hilarious. Somehow you have the nerve to criticized other people are being too safe and sensitive. You are one who is being a snowflake, just like all those old people who get upset about NFL players kneeling for an anthem. You want to set an example for people to stop being snowflakes, you start by not whining and acting like you are under attack. If you are not a snowflake, if nothing bothers you, then STFU. Simple. Same goes for the OP. Don't like snowflakes? Then stop bitching so much.

See what's happening in the public school system, universities, HR departments and corporate world at large, and even major institutions of civil society and then get back to me. You have no idea what's going on out there, do you pal? The stuff I've seen up close would made your hair stand on end. I'm not going to STFU when our rights are being trampled. You wouldn't either if you knew any better. It's your choice to stay clueless.
hahaha...you're like the lads at work when we're all yelling at each other angrily to stfu and calm the fuck down. ^

Guy's got his head in the sand (and other places I may suggest).

I’m inclined to agree that the cultural revolution is probably mostly confined to government, the media, and parts of academia like the humanities, social sciences and education. Or “Communications Studies” - whatever that is - at WLU if the Lindsay Shepherd case is any indication. My two twenty-something kids did engineering and commerce. In the former, university was only about mastering really difficult technical material. There was a bit of SJW insanity in the commerce program, but not a lot. They both work in the private sector which consists of, you know, actually working and not denouncing thoughtcrime or banning books. I suspect their experience isn’t that unusual.
The issue is our society is very comfortable right now and I wonder how a lot of these people that are in such safe bubbles will respond to any big changes in society.

IMO, the emergence of an 'educated progressivism' from the late 60s onwards has created a self-perpetuating safe space that has emerged out of a 'progressive consensus' (aka the creation of a homogenized progressive line though across schools and political viewpoints.

These people are hothouse flowers, fed a stream of progfacts during university, and who then remain in associated urban fields (i.e. the media, HR, public office, education, NGOs), which push out studies, journals, articles, and new educators that feed back into academia. As a result, they never meaningfully interact with the 'other side', which appears as a constructed enemy and as the 'establishment'- without any moderation, the consensus only ends up getting louder and more extreme.

This is a feedback loop that's been around for around 30-40 years, that came into appearance in the late 80s, and has only emerged into the large public realm in the late 2000s-early 2010s as social media appeared and these political viewpoints started to be enforced on others (i.e. STEM). The problem is that emerging out of the greenhouse, these people are encountering popular cultural resistance for possibly the first time in many of their lives, resulting in the aggressive cultural warfare we're seeing in recent years. There's also the relatively recent consideration of corporations taking positions and giving legitimacy to either sides, but whether that results from the ongoing spread of the progressive consensus, or pure opportunism remains to be seen.

It's very interesting though, and it's left many classical liberals stranded as the left transforms into an unrecognizable form.

This is one recent example:
A UC Berkeley graduate student and instructor took to Twitter to shame "rural Americans" and those who aren't "pro-city."

Jackson Kernion, who has reportedly taught at least 11 philosophy courses at the California university, made the comments last Wednesday.
"I unironically embrace the bashing of rural Americans," Kernion wrote in a now-deleted tweet. "They, as a group, are bad people who have made bad life decisions...and we should shame people who aren't pro-city."

Kernion started going after rural citizens, saying they should have higher health care, pay more in taxes and be forced to live an "uncomfortable" life for rejecting "efficient" city life.

Last edited:
There's a really good reason why TWITter is extremely toxic, regardless of one's political views.

In other news, TWITter just banned political advertising ahead of the British election. The ban was too late; the damage was already done long before the ban.

I don't know which major advertiser wants to be associated with extremist views.

Wow. I wonder what he eats.

There is a flip side to every story - how many times have we heard those living in rural areas (and their representatives - we have at least one in the Ontario legislature - big bad Toronto blah blah) denigraging urbanites? It is so normalized to the point we don‘t think about it. I mean, recall this gem from a certain ex-urban/rural MPP?

If it was any urban elected-representative making fun of rural constituencies in the times of natural disasters, they'd be rightly skewered by the locals. This is the sort of double-standard in snowflakes that people don't talk about.

That's not to say I agree with what the UC Berkeley prof. said - even if it is true (and it likely is, in Ontario at the very least) that the urban economy props up the rural one. That's the price of living in a mixed polity - and it is fairness given the inherit worth of a person no matter where they live.

On the other hand, in the US at least some traditional conservative commentators have taken aim at the whole "rural = real America; the coasts = fake elites" mythology - Tom Nichols is one that pops up in mind:

AoD

Last edited:
The issue i have about the 'snowflakes' from both sides is they use the power of government to not only restrict but compel certain type of speech as well.

Back