News   Jul 31, 2024
 252     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 477     0 

Green

Actually, Nuclear power is much 'greener' than the other main forms of energy. It is MUCH more efficient than wind power, although i'm not sure how efficient hydro is. And without a doubt, Nuclear is cleaner than coal or oil powered hydro plants.

Actually, Nuclear power is much 'greener' than the other main forms of energy. It is MUCH more efficient than wind power, although i'm not sure how efficient hydro is. And without a doubt, Nuclear is cleaner than coal or oil powered hydro plants.

but we're still left with dangerous waste that needs to be secured for many many years. it's not totally green.

So you are sick of green, green, green when it actually does impact the planet and the economy, but the constant celeb coverage and coverage of sports which has no impact on the future of the world is fine?

but we're still left with dangerous waste that needs to be secured for many many years. it's not totally green.

It is safely disposable if the will is there. Uranium existed naturally in the ground, it was mined and refined then used. The resulting spent uranium is less radioactive than the original and if it was mixed with other materials (unrefined) and put back in the mine it would be possible to create a condition where the result would be less hazardous than the original natural state. It is probably far easier to make nuclear green than supposed "clean coal". The only reason nuclear could never be 100% green is because it is non-renewable.

"clean coal" - see what i mean. it's friggen dirty! think of all the damage that is done mining, same goes for uranium.

they should call it "emmision reduced coal".

Green / not so green: My gorgeous and extremely durable new stair carpet is sisal. Looks like it won't biodegrade for at least 30 years. However, it was glued down with some vile epoxy glue, and the backing was glued down to the wooden stairs with the same stuff ...

My problem with this "over-exposed green green green" talk out there right now makes me to question the motive behind it. Do they talk about green because they REALLY mean it, or they just want to take advantage of it, i.e. the politicians. When Suzuki talks about green, I'm all ears, but someone like Harper or WalMart? I don't think so!

These things always seem to go in cycles anyway. Anyone remember...

captain_planet.jpg

I wonder what politicians would say if Captain Planet was produced today? Likely something along the lines of "brainwashing our youth"...

^ True, they might say that today, but 15-20 years ago, I really think the majority of people genuinely cared...it wasn't a gimmick. I'm sure I was brainwashed - saving endangered species and recycling were drilled into our heads at school. Lots of people do care today, but I feel there's been a bit of an 'anti-Greenpeace,' if you will, stigma, and that Kyoto/Green is a safer bandwagon, safe enough that politicians and corporations have jumped on.

"The current green movement, like all popular counter-culture movements will quickly be co-opted by mainstream big business."

You speak as if it hasn't happend yet. But, again, I don't care as long as something good comes of it. "Green" may soon stop being effective as a branding or marketing device, but something else will take its place that promotes the reduction of waste or pollution or some other 'eco-friendly' trend.

My big issue is that many people talk the green talk but actually know very little about environment. Ask someone about the carbon cycle and be prepared for many blank stares.

"The current green movement, like all popular counter-culture movements will quickly be co-opted by mainstream big business."

You speak as if it hasn't happend yet. But, again, I don't care as long as something good comes of it.
But that's the thing, once it's co-opted by mainstream big business, the impact and good decreases. For example, you'll soon see a "green" branded Ford Expedition, which spews out a lot of emissions, but unless "green" is a regulated term, you can say anything is green.

Even Ikea's going GREEN...

IKEA stores to add green parking spots
Updated Fri. May. 11 2007 8:59 AM ET

Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Shoppers who drive hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicles will be able to park a little closer to the front door at IKEA stores across Canada.

The retailer says it will roll out special Green Parking for energy saving vehicles at its 11 stores across the county at the end of May.

Two parking spaces at each store will be designated as Green and be located directly after the handicapped and family parking spots.

IKEA says depending on the response from customers, and as the trend toward hybrid vehicles grows, more green parking spaces may be added.

IKEA has already adopted an anti-idling policy for customers loading their vehicles in the pick-up zone.

Back