News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 828     0 

Greater Toronto Transportation Authority Act, 2006

One each for Toronto, Etobicoke, North York and Scraborough? Plain silly.

What about East York and York? Does Etobicoke have to share with York? (take your pick - Doug Holyday, Georgio Mammolitti, or Frances Nunziata). Absurd.

I'm all for an entirely at-large board, with minimal or no political representation - like the TTC Commission used to be before it became all councillors (Imagine! No Howie!). Though I find it hard to trust government of not biasing the result by selecting people to serve based on their stripe or known bias (ie Gordon Chong). I want professionals.

Burlington mayor to lead new super transit agency
JEFF GRAY

With a report from Murray Campbell

Burlington Mayor Rob MacIsaac will be the first chairman of a new provincial body meant to co-ordinate public transit and major roads across the Greater Toronto Area, The Globe and Mail has learned.

A provincial government source confirmed yesterday that Mr. MacIsaac, whose name had been rumoured as a potential candidate, will take the reins of the new Greater Toronto Transportation Authority.

Mr. MacIsaac, who is not running for re-election as mayor, wouldn't comment when asked yesterday whether he has been tapped for the job: "I'm not in a position to talk about that."

But he did say he believes that better co-ordination of transportation planning and growth is a good idea.

Mr. MacIsaac has previously spoken out about the need for more investment in transit, while commenting that automobile infrastructure should be supported at least partly by tolls.

Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield is expected to make an official announcement at an event in downtown Toronto tomorrow morning.

Announced with much fanfare in April by the previous minister, Harinder Takhar, the new body is supposed to: take over the running of GO Transit; implement a smart-card transit-fare system across the GTA and Hamilton; co-ordinate planning and capital spending for public transit and regional roads; purchase vehicles; and make it easier to take public transit across municipal boundaries.

Opposition critics have charged that the GTTA, whose board will be made up of 11 representatives from the region's municipalities, lacks financial powers and will be little more than an extra layer of bureaucracy.

© Copyright 2006 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

i'm still wary of this new agency. until they have actual powers, it's kinda pointless. the major thing they should do is have all the municipal and regional transit systems within their borders dissolved and run them itself. but i'm scared of that because what will happen to service in mississauga under a board run by politicians from throughout the gta? at least mississauga transit is improving (slowly) service within mississauga.

QUEEN'S PARK, Oct. 12 /CNW/ - Minister of Transportation Donna Cansfield today announced the nomination of the Chair and Vice Chair of the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority (GTTA).

"I am pleased to nominate Robert MacIsaac as Chair and Peter Smith as Vice Chair of GTTA. We're bringing seamless and better connected transit to the third fastest-growing urban region in North America," said Cansfield. "Commuters in GTA and Hamilton expect better transit and I am confident that GTTA will deliver."

"My priority is creating streamlined and efficient transportation in the region," said MacIsaac. "I'm looking forward to working together with the province, the Vice Chair and GTTA board members from Durham, Halton, Peel and York Regions, and the Cities of Hamilton and Toronto."

"I look forward to working with Mr. MacIsaac and all GTTA board members towards a quick, reliable and safe transportation system, essential to the prosperity of this region," said Smith.

Robert MacIsaac is the current Mayor of the City of Burlington and has been involved for over 15 years in public transit. Peter Smith is the current Chair of GO Transit. This experience makes them excellent choices to launch GTTA. These appointments are subject to review by the Standing Committee on Government Agencies.

The Fare Card will become the responsibility of GTTA, which will allow commuters to travel from Oshawa to Hamilton using a single card. Once fully implemented, the GTA Fare Card System will:

- Place over two million fare cards in the hands of GTA residents
- Benefit over 800 million transit riders annually
- Provide $100 million in travel time savings to transit customers
- Save transit agencies $20 million per year in operating costs
- Reduce fraud and improve security.

GTTA is responsible for developing a long-range integrated transportation plan for local transit, GO Transit and major roads for GTA and Hamilton.

Also announced today is the selection of Accenture to head up the team of industry leaders that will build and operate the GTA Fare Card System for the next 10 years. It will be introduced initially on four Mississauga bus routes and two GO Transit stations on the Milton line and Union Station for both GO Transit and TTC in mid-2007. It will be fully implemented across the GTA and Hamilton by 2010.

Through significant infrastructure investments, the McGuinty government is delivering better hospitals, schools, transit systems, borders, roads and bridges - all necessary for future growth and prosperity.

The provincial appointees so far could be much worse. MacIssac is probably a good choice for chair. It's hardly a suprise though to anyone who is following the story. Peter Smith, the current Chair of GO isn't that bad a vice-chair choice, and so far, the board's Chongless.

Would want to see how it operates, and who the other reps end up being though before making any further judgements.

From the Star:

New transit chief ready for the ride
Oct. 14, 2006. 07:51 AM
DAVID BRUSER
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

As commuters press in, the GO train doors slide open and a freshly shaved Rob MacIsaac shuffles out of the cold, dark early morning and takes a seat.

It's 6:30 a.m. at the Aldershot station in Burlington, and like so many do every weekday, the new head of the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority is riding into Toronto.

Holding his cup of Tim Hortons, he searches a newspaper for the story about his nomination, made official Thursday.

Grinning, he says, "Remember Cy Sperling, the president of the Hair Club? I'm not just the president but a client?"

A president, of sorts. But will he have any power?

By many accounts in Burlington, where MacIsaac is the outgoing mayor, the 44-year-old former commercial real estate lawyer is a charismatic consensus builder. Even two local politicians battling each other for his current job can't disagree on MacIsaac.

And by all accounts, MacIsaac, a weekend rock singer, will need his charms to make the GTTA a meaningful outfit and his position more than the paper tiger some fear will be shredded by all the competing transit interests that will come under the GTTA umbrella.

"Trying to co-ordinate, keeping that balance, is probably going to be the greatest challenge," says Burlington mayoral candidate Joan Lougheed, who, along with MacIsaac, appeared in 1991 as a rookie Burlington councillor. "It's going to be a tough job."

But perhaps one fit for a man whose ideal Saturday plays out like this: "Go out in the morning, grocery shop, get all your ingredients, spend the day sort of preparing your meal and have guests in for dinner. That's fun."

The agency is a central body whose job is to co-ordinate the GTA's mix of public transit systems, such as operating a region-wide fare-card system, plan highway expansion, and to help prepare construction plans.

Earlier this year, when the Toronto Star identified MacIsaac as the front-runner for the GTTA job, both provincial and municipal officials said they were impressed by MacIsaac when he chaired the provincial Greenbelt Task Force, which paved the way for a 728,000-hectare greenbelt, ringing Toronto from Niagara to Peterborough. He also chaired a so-called smart growth committee created by the former Conservative government.

MacIsaac says he won't start his new job until December and can't predict every move the nascent GTTA will make. In part that's because it is still unclear what powers the agency will have long-term.

"I know there has been a lot of criticism that maybe it doesn't have the power it requires. This is going to be an evolutionary process. What we start out with is just fine," MacIsaac says. "Our initial task is really about developing a plan and a vision about what the transportation system can be ... Let us walk before we run."

As the train rumbles toward Union Station and the car fills up, the nine-year mayor of Burlington does, however, give a few hints of where he's heading and some major challenges that await.

He wants the agency to wield more power in the future, saying it's likely the GTTA will someday take over GO Transit. (For now, MacIsaac says, the GTTA cannot "issue directives to local transit systems.") He also wants the agency's head office to be at GO headquarters in downtown Toronto.

Aligning with GO makes sense, at least symbolically, since GO is a region-wide transit system using rail and highway routes, and often feeding commuters to other transit systems. MacIsaac's second-in-command will be GO's current chair Peter Smith.

Transit riders may take cold comfort in the fact that MacIsaac, though he is still negotiating a contract that will probably include a car, plans to take mass transit from his home in Burlington to the agency's head office. The car would help get him throughout the region when visiting various transit stakeholders. He drives a Ford Explorer provided by Burlington but has to turn it in next month.

The GTTA will also preside over the implementation of a fare card system that can be used on any transit system in the region, from Hamilton to Oshawa. The so-called smart card system, which should be up and running by 2010, will be built by Accenture, a firm awarded the 10-year, $250 million design contract this week.

`You have to be prepared to think in big terms ... What we're building is going to last a long time'

New GTTA head Rob MacIsaac

But the TTC is not yet on board, with an official saying a couple days ago that the commission may have more pressing needs than replacing its fare system.

Enter the consensus builder, not yet sure how he's going to win the support of the TTC.

"They're one of the stakeholders in the room that I'm going to work hard to bring to the table," he says. "I don't know exactly how it's going to happen. I just know I have to do it."

Longtime friend Gord Forstner, the director of public relations at Hamilton steel giant Dofasco, thinks MacIsaac has the skills to pull it off.

"He's not divisive. At the same time, he can make a decision. He's not a ditherer."

MacIsaac has been on record as supporting toll roads, saying taxpayers can no longer be expected to foot the bill for new highways. He also entertains the idea of tapping the private sector to improve an "inadequate" transit infrastructure in which "roads, bridges, buildings are crumbling."

"There are massive pools of private capital out there looking for projects and not able to find them," he says. "You have to be prepared to think in big terms. You can't be scared off by big numbers. What we're building is going to last a long time. It's going to be amortized over hundreds of millions of riders."

As for the money that will fund the GTTA, MacIsaac says the provincial ministry of transportation will fund the start-up as it hires a secretary and CEO, but after that the agency will submit a budget for approval on an annual basis.

Meanwhile, MacIsaac, on his way on this day to a conference near the University of Toronto, admits to the normal kind of anxiety anyone has when starting as new job.

"You know, you're unsure of the path forward, exactly how it's all going to work out," he says, but the father of two adds he expects nothing more challenging than serving as mayor of Burlington.

"My life's been a public appearance for nine years. Being mayor is really a 24-7 job. You can't buy a cabbage at the grocery store without somebody approaching you. People have been really good to me. I'm not complaining about it."

While one Burlington political colleague cautions MacIsaac to resist feeling too much loyalty to Burlington and treat all players in the region equally, MacIsaac wants the new agency to recognize the importance of the suburbs and cities that have built up around Toronto. "416ers have to recognize the importance of 905," he says, adding the agency might consider recommending "a more aggressive approach to HOV lanes."

MacIsaac has a dramatic 416 debut planned, at the Canadian Urban Transit Association conference next month  "live from the Royal York."

"I have a band," he says. "It's a rock 'n' roll band. I sing. It's all 1970s. We cover like Van Morrison, Rolling Stones. It's a garage band. We play charity stuff."

Dubbed Slow Monday  no, not an expression of sympathy to commuters starting their work week gnashing teeth in QEW traffic  the 10-piece band plays charity events and rehearses weekly in a strip mall music school.

Friend and bandmate Forstner explains the sobriquet:

"It's more to do with the fact that we rehearse on Sunday nights and sometimes that makes Monday morning difficult," he says.

"Rob is not a pretentious guy," adds Forstner, who plays bass and guitar. "He didn't have any musical background, but he assembled a group around him. He throws himself into not just work but life. People respond to that."

Slow Monday features MacIsaac on vocals, though three other bandmates sing, too.

"Believe me," says the consensus builder as his train rolls into Union Station, "I need the back-up."

AoD

Back