News   Apr 19, 2024
 849     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 659     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Great Fried Chicken Thread

When I lived in downtown, my go-to places for fried chicken sandwiches were PG Clucks on College, and less often but still great, Porchetta & Co.

The former does an excellent Nashville hot chicken sandwich with one hell of a kick, and homemade fritters, which admittedly, I have yet to try.

I should not have stumbled across this thread during lunch time...

Yes, it's good. I used to love Popeye's but it went down in quality. Church's is better.
I’ve walked by twice in the last week on a weekday around noon and the place was dead, when the old Tim Hortons would have been jammed. My guess is this place closes down before the end of 2022.

Mary Brown's in Parkdale still hasn't opened (was supposed to open in June). There's also another MB's coming to Korea Town on Bloor, where the KFC used to be.

I just tried Torisho down in the Beach; a place offering Kaarage (Japanese style fried chicken)

I pronounced myself pleased, its one of the better Kaarage or 'fried chicken' places I've tried.

I had the following:

1657571174858.png

1657571197186.png

For $5 extra, you can get it as a combo, which I did, with Tempura Green Beans and a pop.

The beans come with a dipping sauce; if you ordered just the chicken, you would have to buy it for $2 extra.

I chose the Tonkatsu Mayo

But they also have:

Sweet Chili (Sweet and Spicy)
Perilla Flavoured Ponzu and Soy (Citrus Soy)
Hot Sauce

Comments: The chicken, which comes with a small condiment side of tomato and edamame could be a small lunch in its own right; as could the green beans, together a quite filling portion.

The chicken was juicy and flavourful, particularly the thigh meat. The batter to meat ratio was good, the batter was not excessive at all.

The green beans were crispy but cooked through, on their own, they might be a bit bland, but w/the dipping sauce were quite nice.

My only marginal critique would be that I might enjoy a bit more heat; but otherwise I felt all the seasoning was good; and the heat might be addressed if they just had a hint of Wasabi Aioli on the side.

One other note, they don't have straws, which I found somewhat irritating, I'm not huge on drinking from the can............i get the avoiding plastic straws, but there are paper ones......

But I'm nitpicking!

Oh, a final note, there really isn't much in the way of eat-in space at all, its essentially a to-go operation. Works out great if you go eat your meal, as I did in Kew Gardens.......but perhaps less ideal in cold weather or on a rainy day.

On balance good value for money at just over $19 for the combo. I will return for more.

Last edited:
I was impressed by Dave's Hot Chicken. Pretty good for fast food chicken, and quite a nice spice blend (more complexity than simple heat).

I just tried Torisho down in the Beach; a place offering Kaarage (Japanese style fried chicken)

I pronounced myself pleased, its one of the better Kaarage or 'fried chicken' places I've tried.

I had the following:

View attachment 413156
View attachment 413157

For $5 extra, you can get it as a combo, which I did, with Tempura Green Beans and a pop.

The beans come with a dipping sauce; if you ordered just the chicken, you would have to buy it for $2 extra.

I chose the Tonkatsu Mayo

But they also have:

Sweet Chili (Sweet and Spicy)
Perilla Flavoured Ponzu and Soy (Citrus Soy)
Hot Sauce

Comments: The chicken, which comes with a small condiment side of tomato and edamame could be a small lunch in its own right; as could the green beans, together a quite filling portion.

The chicken was juicy and flavourful, particularly the thigh meat. The batter to meat ratio was good, the batter was not excessive at all.

The green beans were crispy but cooked through, on their own, they might be a bit bland, but w/the dipping sauce were quite nice.

My only marginal critique would be that I might enjoy a bit more heat; but otherwise I felt all the seasoning was good; and the heat might be addressed if they just had a hint of Wasabi Aioli on the side.

One other note, they don't have straws, which I found somewhat irritating, I'm not huge on drinking from the can............i get the avoiding plastic straws, but there are paper ones......

But I'm nitpicking!

Oh, a final note, there really isn't much in the way of eat-in space at all, its essentially a to-go operation. Works out great if you go eat your meal, as I did in Kew Gardens.......but perhaps less ideal in cold weather or on a rainy day.

On balance good value for money at just over $19 for the combo. I will return for more.

Toronto Life with some coverage on Torisho:

Had a chance to try the Korean fried chicken chain BBQ Chicken. It is hands down one of the best non-traditional fried chicken places.

Had a chance to try the Korean fried chicken chain BBQ Chicken. It is hands down one of the best non-traditional fried chicken places.

Describe please. ie. What did you order, what did it come with, look, taste, texture, value for money.

Describe please. ie. What did you order, what did it come with, look, taste, texture, value for money.
Placed an order of salt and pepper with bone in and an order of honey garlic bone in (honey and freshly chopped garlic). The chicken is very juice and freshly made, I think Korean fried chicken is also double fried so its crispy as well. Not greasy at all. I ended up splitting with a coworker and that was a good decision as we could try other flavours. The order came with pickled daikon radish on the side. It's a bit pricey for a half chicken so it's better to split cost with a few people, came out to around $17 per person.

Placed an order of salt and pepper with bone in and an order of honey garlic bone in (honey and freshly chopped garlic). The chicken is very juice and freshly made, I think Korean fried chicken is also double fried so its crispy as well. Not greasy at all. I ended up splitting with a coworker and that was a good decision as we could try other flavours. The order came with pickled daikon radish on the side. It's a bit pricey for a half chicken so it's better to split cost with a few people, came out to around $17 per person.

Excellent, thank you.

I thought this one sounded the most interesting:

1666318281777.png

The Lemon Fries also sound intriguing though more than fully priced if ordered on their own:

1666318349436.png

Yes about a month or so ago. It was average, i wouldn't go out of my way to eat at a Church’s again. I would rank it above KFC but below Mary Brown's, Chick-fil-A, Popeyes.

The place was empty and it was lunch time on a Thursday, i can't see this chain lasting in Ontario. We got too many other better chicken chains around.
I wish that Tim Hortons had become a proper cafe chain. Cabbagetown does not have a single ground-level cafe where one can sit and enjoy a coffee.

Anything with a ceramic cup in this group would do https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/any-canadian-owned-chains-of-coffee-shops.21531/

Back