News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.2K     9 

Great Films! Comment or Suggest Some....

I don't know if you noticed but "Misfits" is shot in a few of the same locations that "Clockwork Orange" was filmed on nearly 40 years ago. Cool eh?

That must be why I like the feel of the show. I didn't notice this. I haven't watched A Clockwork Orange in years. I should watch it again.

thanks for the thread..

I downloaded some of the mentioned films..

my favorites are sci-fi films hinting at reallity, these are some that I remember now:

Orwell's 1984.. the 50s bbc production was best (available at archive.org)

fahrenheit 451

matrix.. the first one was the best even though the second had great scenery.. (red pill is always a good choice)

equilibrium.. the idea of the film was much better than the martial arts

V for Vendetta.. awesome, yet I disagree with some deviancy the filmmakers try to propagate.

my appreciation for all of the suggestions

One of my favorite anime directors, Kon Satoshi, died recently at the age of 46. You all know the movie Inception, but what you may not know is that Inception is a rip-off of Kon's last film, Paprika, which was released in 2006. My favorite movie of his though is probably Tokyo Godfathers but all his films are worth checking out. Sad he died so young, he only made a handful of movies, all of them great.

Perfect Blue/Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Passes Away (Updated)
posted on 2010-08-24 15:12 EDT
Award-winning anime director of Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent

Jim Vowles, a member of the Otakorp Board of Directors for the Otakon convention, has announced on Tuesday that director Satoshi Kon has passed away. Kon was 47. The staff of Otakon confirmed his passing with MADHOUSE studio founder Masao Maruyama. Maruyama had wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday night in Japan that an important director of the studio had suddenly passed away. However, Maruyama declined to name the director at the time.

Kon began working as a manga creator on such works as Kaikisen (1990) before deciding to delve into the anime industry with the art design of Hiroyuki Kitakubo and Katsuhiro Otomo's Roujin Z video in 1991. He then worked on the script and art direction of "Magnetic Rose," a segment of Otomo's 1995 science-fiction anthology film Memories.

Kon first drew worldwide attention with his feature film directorial debut, the psychological suspense film Perfect Blue, in 1997. He would follow that with a string of critically acclaimed anime projects: Millennium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003), Paranoia Agent (2004), and Paprika (2006). At the time of his passing, Kon was working at MADHOUSE on a new feature film called Yume-Miru Kikai.

ANN interviewed Kon in 2008 as he was beginning work on Yume-Miru Kikai.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-24/award-winning-director-satoshi-kon-passes-away

there were are great many films at TIFF last month. some notable films that I saw include

- The King's Speech
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/kingsspeech
"The King's Speech tells the story of the man who would become King George VI, the father of the current Queen, Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ‘Bertie’ VI (Colin Firth) reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded nervous stammer and considered unfit to be King, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush). Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country into war."

- The Housemaid
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/housemaid
In this erotic thriller, the housemaid of an upper-class family becomes entangled in a dangerous tryst. A satirical look at class structure, reminiscent of the work of Claude Chabrol, this sexy soap opera is a story of revenge and retribution."

- Aftershock
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/aftershock
"The most successful Chinese movie of all time, Aftershock is based on the novel of the same name by Chinese Canadian author Zhang Ling. An intimate epic, the film sweeps across three crucial decades in recent Chinese history and explores the resilience of a family devastated by 1976 Tangshan earthquake."

the latter two films are available on DVD and Blu-ray from yesasia.com

I watched Aftershock at TIFF. I agree, it was really good! Quite different from most of the chinese movies I've seen in the past (which were either historical kung fu flicks or Triad/gangster shoot-outs)

I finally got around to seeing "The Social Network" today, one of the year's best films. I've been a huge fan of David Fincher for years, he sure doesn't disappoint here. I predict major Oscar nominations will come it's way next February, I'm thinking 6 or 7 nods including best picture.

I finally got around to seeing "The Social Network" today, one of the year's best films. I've been a huge fan of David Fincher for years, he sure doesn't disappoint here. I predict major Oscar nominations will come it's way next February, I'm thinking 6 or 7 nods including best picture.

I was a little disappointed with it... not because it was a bad movie, but because I hated the character of Mark Zuckerberg so much. ARGH. I wish I could punch him in the face. (My feelings towards the Zuckerberg character ended up being transposed over the movie as a whole)
And yes, I did put my thoughts into a fb status update. The irony of it all!

I watched Citizen Kane again on the eve of the US midterm election. The film is timeless, not only in its delivery but also in its content: the social commentary of America is as relevant today as it was then. What is remarkable is that Orson Welles directed and starred in this masterpiece when he was just 26 years old.

I saw Battleship Potemkin at Lightbox last week and thoroughly enjoyed it - not least because of Shostakovich's soundtrack. But, honestly, what a lot of fuss about a few maggots in a side of beef. And that stupid bitch rushing up the steps with a baby in her arms towards the firing line - what was she thinking?

Jean Renoir's The Name Of The Game was also delightful, the farce spirited, and the clothes gorgeous - especially those tweedy outfits during the bunny hunting scene.

Tomorrow, La Dolce Vita, with Metropolis on Wednesday and The Seventh Seal on Saturday. Gotta catch up with my classics.

Back