News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 720     0 

Good Toronto ISP (Internet Provider)?

go with teksavvy.

if you want to get by the throttling you can do it by having a WRT54GL router w/ Tomato firmware.

there's lots of discussion about it on dslreports.

Thanks a lot. I will wait for Oct 31 and see then if I need to switch to Teksavvy and buy that router. I don't even use P2P that much but I am sick of this throttling BS.

^... Techsavvy and other providers that were reselling Bell's DSL had bandwidth restrictions and ports capped ... Those companies were threatening legal action... I don't know if anything came of it

i think they are still fighting the battle against bell.

to be honest telus+cityplace internet feels almost too good to be true.... i keep thinking there's gonna be a catch... but there hasnt been so far.. its been a year +
Isn't your upload capped at 5Mbit?

you use Utorrent if you want to by pass the holds.

utorrent is just a client that implements the bittorrent protocol. It's what I use, it's simple, powerful, and resource efficient (not a bloated monster like Azureus).

Using protocol encryption helps with bt traffic (stops the ISP from reading the packets), but they still clamp down on bt-like traffic, which has caused some problems with VPNs.

Encryption doesn't work against throttling because they throttle encrypted data as well (which screws over non-P2P uses as well).

Toronto Area Internet Service Providers

I'm experiencing a very frustrating time recently with finding an ISP that I can rely on for consistent online service and speed.

I've been using Rogers for the last 7 to 8 years, but recently, I've been unable to get the kind of speeds for which I'm subscribed to. I pay for 10mbps but often, that falls to a useless 1mbps.

I tried giving Bell a chance, but their WiFi modem takes forever to connect when I open up my laptop and in my area (Queen + Strachan), the speed ceiling is 5mbps. Still, I often get 3mbps. Bell is installing fibre optic service throughout Toronto that would allow up to 18mbps , but unfortunately, my building hasn't been retrofitted.

I know that Telus provides service for certain developments like CityPlace and also does WiMax. The former doesn't apply to me, and the latter is slow.

I know there are smaller services that use Rogers and Bell's lines, however, I'm in the dark on that and could use some advice.

Can we discuss those services, which ones you use and your experiences with your ISP?

I've heard of them. I'll give them a look, thanks. :)

To clarify my needs, I run an internet photo business so upload speed is just as important as download.

I'm also very happy with 1and1.com that provides me server space, ftp, domain and email services.

I'd love to find however, a local business oriented ISP that could get me a very fast uplink speed and the services provided by 1and1.

I'm quite technical but I don't understand networks as much as I'd like. A common issue that I have is that when uploading to my FTP, even though I might be seeing 900kbps from my ISP, the FTP uplink rarely goes above 100kbps. I'm assuming that's a limitation of the FTP provider. Is there such a thing as a 1mbps upload to FTP?

Back