News   Jul 15, 2024
 136     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Good gay-friendly doctors in Toronto

All they do now is give you tiny paper slips with Maple Leaf Clinic and Sherbourne Clinic's contact information. And of course, no doctors here are accepting new patients. So I'm out of luck. Just going to stick to the university health service I have. It would have been nice to have my own family doctor I could trust though. Ah welllll. ;)

I think if you have any sort of younger family doctor they should be fine. I find most younger people in medicine are quite open in terms of not being racist/sexist. If you specifically want a gay doctor that will be much harder to do, but I'm virtually certain most younger doctors wouldn't mind having a gay patient and would also be very objective.

To put into perspective, a male doctor would probably have more 'in common' with a gay male patient than a female patient.

Yeah, fuck it, I'll stay with any doctor that's good... they don't need to be gay and finding that would be impossible anyway. I just had a few pressing questions that I figured only certain doctors could properly answer.

Last edited:
I think most young family doctors would be pretty good. Medical training these days is very inclusive. I used to work at a clinic in Montreal that deals with a lot of this stuff (CLSC Metro), most of the doctors there are gay, and I learned a few things. So for what it's worth, here's the Ganja Rule Book on gay sex.

1. Always use condoms unless you're in a long-term relationship, you've both been tested, monogamous, yada, yada...
2. Condoms protect you against bugs that live in bodily fluids (HIV, Hep B), but they don't protect you from infection that may live in lesions in the periphery, eg. HPV virus in genital/anal warts (which may be outside of the condom covered geography), herpes simplex virus that may live around the mouth, or around the genitals (again, lesions may be outside of the area protected), and of course good old syphilis which is making a comeback. Syphilis ulcers may or may not be covered by condoms.
3. Many sexually transmitted illnesses are curable, usually bacterial infections (chlamydia, gonorhhoea, syphilis, trichomonas - a parasite, not a bacteria), most viral infections are not curable and you have them for life (HIV, HPV, Herpes, Hep B). If you're the kind of guy who has difficulty with commitments, beware before you commit to catching one of these livelong bugs.
4. Many people don't take HIV seriously any more. HIV is still not curable, although people are living longer with it.
5. Anal sex is riskier than vaginal sex because of the risk of microlacterations that could expose you to blood.
6. There is no such thing as safe sex, only safer sex. There is always a risk, one must try to minimize that risk.

chippendale_dancer.gif

Hahaha, I know all that stuff, and I'm a very responsible individual. I just had some random questions here and there. It's all sorted though :) as I said I am sure I'll be fine with the doctors I've got.

I think one issue that I've heard so many different answers is the area of oral sex and ingesting semen - some say it's "no" risk, other say it is relatively low risk, and yet others say "it depends". I believe that's an area which should be clarified.

I could be wrong, but I believe you can get free HepA/B vaccination for free as a high risk population.

AoD

Last edited:
Well there is a risk. I believe 1 in 10 000 for HIV infection. But it's so minimal that many people say not to worry about it.

To reduce risk further, one shouldn't floss or brush their teeth right prior to oral sex due to potential minuscule tears, etc.

There is always a risk pretty much, including when performing oral sex.

Oh I know, there is just so much misinformation about this particular topic. Technically speaking one should be using a condom, but of course, it's unlikely for this particular practice. I can't stress that HIV isn't the only STD out there...what's safe practices for that isn't necessarily safe for other diseases.

AoD

I could be wrong, but I believe you can get free HepA/B vaccination for free as a high risk population.

AoD

Yes, many (but not all) GP's will arrange the shots with advance notice or simply go to the Hassle Free Clinic for the injection & booster shots.

Try Dr. Wei-Lam Chan, a straight doctor in a small walk-in practice in Scarborough. He doesn't mind looking after the gay population but I think he prefers looking after tops mostly because he prefers not collecting fecal matter for testing. N.B. This is not a cruising spot!

My GP shut down his Family Practice in July to focus on Psychotherapy only. I remember a clinic opening last year on Church St. s. of Wellesley where the Xtra! offices used to be so I went by, went up to the Family Practice unit and they were taking new patients. That was August. If you live or work in or near downtown, try here to see if they are still taking new patients. I like the clinic because it has a variety of services - physio, Naturopathy, a pharmacy, a dental clinic, a walk-in clinic and more. I really like the young (30-something'ish) GP that I got too, I felt at ease right away. It was known as "Yonge-Wellesley Medical Clinic", now "Church St. Health Centre" located at 491 Church St. (second floor) above Pusateri/Byzantium.

My GP shut down his Family Practice in July to focus on Psychotherapy only. I remember a clinic opening last year on Church St. s. of Wellesley where the Xtra! offices used to be so I went by, went up to the Family Practice unit and they were taking new patients. That was August. If you live or work in or near downtown, try here to see if they are still taking new patients. I like the clinic because it has a variety of services - physio, Naturopathy, a pharmacy, a dental clinic, a walk-in clinic and more. I really like the young (30-something'ish) GP that I got too, I felt at ease right away. It was known as "Yonge-Wellesley Medical Clinic", now "Church St. Health Centre" located at 491 Church St. (second floor) above Pusateri/Byzantium.
I go to this office. They're great there.

Back