News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Are they already running a bit behind? To be done in 2014 they would need to do a pair of tracks every 6 months or so wouldn't they?

True... the first couple of tracks will take longer as there is more prep work not to mention it's the first one they're doing so it's all new. I expect they'll pick up the pace as future sections get done... hopefully. :)

from today
2011016034.jpg

I'm curious, is that gap in the middle of the train shed on the south side the start of the new glass enclosure thats part of the Union Station revitilization?
That hasn't always been there has it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies that this is off topic (from what I've read on these forums it's quite the sin haha)..
But I'm curious, is that gap in the middle of the train shed on the south side the start of the new glass enclosure thats part of the Union Station revitilization?
That hasn't always been there has it?

That gap was not there before according to Google and Bing satellite images so I think you are correct in suggesting that this is the beginning of the new glass enclosure.

Yep, that's it. Because of how slow it's been going, I think we're still quite aways from seeing the roof start to go up. :(

That is the location of the new skylight roof. There is a lot of work to be done below and out of sight before you see the steel go up.
Shot Jan 19
5373102092_a21cbb416b_b.jpg

5372503393_28d76be60a_b.jpg

They started removing the hoarding on platforms 24+25. The central section where the glass shed will be located is now hoarding-free.
I also noticed they've started working on the next platforms already (19+20?)

I would have thought they would install a glass roof section before moving on. Maybe there isn't enough space to properly support the new roof section without moving onto the next tracks.

Maybe there isn't enough space to properly support the new roof section without moving onto the next tracks.

I believe that they actually need to put up about half of the new roof in one fell swoop, so it will actually be a little while before we start to see it going up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The document is an interesting read, but I still can't see it being anywhere close to the renders. The old shed is hideous, it should of been demolished in my opinion (they call it 'heritage' but I don't see anything heritage about it when compared to the old circa 1872-1888 station).

Last edited:

Back