News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 756     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Ah Wikipedia - the encyclopaedia that anyone can write!

And yet other Wikipedia articles put the upper end of heavy rail at 40,000 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_terminology#Comparison_of_types

If you say that 30,000 is light metro, that makes many London deep tube lines and older Paris Metro lines light metro. Not to mention the Sheppard subway! :)

You said that before, get a diffrent line.
It is describing all the MCS rail systems that each describe themselves as having that capacity and are similar systems in the sense that they have greater cornering ability and use just a fundamentally diffrent form of rolling stock. Many of them also are automated. I think you just really can't get the term "light" or "medium" out of your mind.

As for old lines go, setting aside the fact that some of them most certainly are light metro, as I have already described, but saying "oh well this old ass line from the 1800s has this capacity and it's called a Metro line, so a new line with diffrent technology is somehow classed in the exact same way because it just happens to have similar or even higher capacity" is like saying "well back in the old days a 20 story building was called a skyscraper, so let's keep calling it that regardless of changing definitions and construction practices / technology!"

It's easy to throw out numbers when you seem to not realize what it actually entails.

Is 20 tph on any single track possible in Union Station as it sits now, and after all of the planned improvements? No and no. Not possible. Subway systems can do it because they use all of the same high performance rolling stock, and have engineered their fixed plant to work only with them. So long as GO trains have to mix with VIA and freights, that isn't possible.

Blow it all up and start again? Then it *might* be possible. But that's asking a lot of the fixed plant, to say nothing of the equipment.

You realize that this isn't Europe, right? And you realize that "curvy" is an extremely relative thing.

Dan
GO Trains do not need to and generally are not frequently mixing with freights in the USRC, and eventually that will be the case across most of the network. The post you quoted also quite literally refers to having better single level trains. There is no reason that we need to have 4-5 minute dwells at Union, and assuming we can even regularly beat that you are already well over 10tph. There are plenty of systems with mixed rolling stock that do high frequency - even with locos - and GO is pretty darn close to an entirely uniform fleet already, at least performance wise! Better performance does not require blowing things up, it means dumping old ops practices that are impractical on a modern high frequency railway like last minute platform announcements.

I am indeed aware that Toronto is in North America, I am also aware that curvy is relative, speeds can still go up especially for the south tracks! We should be aiming to be much more like Europe and thats why we are doing things like adopting ETCS among many other things behind the scenes.

Reactions: PL1
GO Trains do not need to and generally are not frequently mixing with freights in the USRC, and eventually that will be the case across most of the network. The post you quoted also quite literally refers to having better single level trains. There is no reason that we need to have 4-5 minute dwells at Union, and assuming we can even regularly beat that you are already well over 10tph. There are plenty of systems with mixed rolling stock that do high frequency - even with locos - and GO is pretty darn close to an entirely uniform fleet already, at least performance wise! Better performance does not require blowing things up, it means dumping old ops practices that are impractical on a modern high frequency railway like last minute platform announcements.

I am indeed aware that Toronto is in North America, I am also aware that curvy is relative, speeds can still go up especially for the south tracks! We should be aiming to be much more like Europe and thats why we are doing things like adopting ETCS among many other things behind the scenes.
I wonder in Europe how much of the network is rolling out Level 1 ETCS vs 2 or 3. Level 1 is supposedly what GO will be getting. (Will it be L1 LS or L1 FS is another question.)

Ah Wikipedia - the encyclopaedia that anyone can write!

And yet other Wikipedia articles put the upper end of heavy rail at 40,000 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_terminology#Comparison_of_types

If you say that 30,000 is light metro, that makes many London deep tube lines and older Paris Metro lines light metro. Not to mention the Sheppard subway! :)
further, if 30k is light metro, I guess the entire toronto subway network is light metro today!

Remember that Line 1 until this week with the completion of ATC had an effective upper capacity limit of 26-28,000 PPHD.

Why are they lifting this track? It’s very far away from where the rest of the construction is going on.
14A483E4-AFEF-4986-A60F-E3F81C993FEF.jpeg

They are not”lifting” track. They are installing new crossties.

One rail has been lifted to make the changeout of the crossties quicker, as the platforms prevent the more common method which slides the tie in from one side. The rail will be replaced after the tie work is complete.

- Paul

This is a little off topic, and I know this would be a lot of work, but I think something that would make the transportation threads a little easier to understand was if there were urbanToronto database entries for them. In particular, with all of the different projects at Union, it's very hard to know what exactly is being built and why. Wikipedia is helpful, but also sometimes vague or out of date.

And I wouldn't even be asking this if the government communicated clearly about the projects. It's kind of bananas that large infrastructure projects like the work at Union are poorly communicated to the public (and that no journalists/news sites even attempt to do an "explainer" on this). We only get news updates about budget, or delays in opening, but not about what's being done.

well technically the 3 threads of union we have are actually completely separate.

the train shed/glass roof and track upgrades are very different than the "union station revitalization" which is the project that brought us the new concourse.

the same with the new USEP which is now a different project than the other 3.

I do agree it's about time we merge the threads

Back