News   Jul 15, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

There is no fix to the flooding problem - that ship sailed long ago when the bottom of the Don River was channelized. All that can be done now is mitigate the damage when it does happen.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Wouln't the don mouth naturalization partially mitigate the flood risk, or is that mitigation only for the Port Lands and not the river channel?

Wouln't the don mouth naturalization partially mitigate the flood risk, or is that mitigation only for the Port Lands and not the river channel?
Under the 50/100 year flood cycle, there will be flooding even with all mitigate work taking place today, but having a far less impact on the area. The flood plain covers far more area outside this area.

The
mitigate working taking place now will deal with what took place last year, but still years off until the channel in the Portland is built. Until then, GO will have to deal with the flood issues and hope not to see last year repeat.

That is why the LS line bridge as well all the bridges are being rebuilt higher to help to reduce a log jamb when a flood take place.

Haven't seen a discussion here (sorry if it is elsewhere) about the possible/pending GO strike starting Monday anyone on the "inside" speculating if it will/won't happen or what the impact might be if it does?

I don't see why naturalization matters. The DVP and Richmond Hill Line would be in the floodplain no matter what. It's called a "floodplain" for a reason.

Haven't seen a discussion here (sorry if it is elsewhere) about the possible/pending GO strike starting Monday anyone on the "inside" speculating if it will/won't happen or what the impact might be if it does?

The impact is no bus service, train service would operate as normal.

Yes I understand that on the surface but aren't ticket sellers and maintenance people included in the strike? Does that (if the strike is protracted) not impact train service?

That said, does the loss of bus service have an impact on the number of cars on the road....are we headed for a period of even longer commutes if there is a strike?

IMHO, the current effort to raise the tracks in the DVP/Gerrard area is welcome, but it doesn't solve the problem of flooding in the Eglinton area. The train that got flooded last year was stopped because the flooding was first reported in the Eglinton area, and was about to turn back when hit by the second flood. Even if the mitigation was already there for Gerrard area, the train would still need to go back.
The move of the service to Don sub and the new tracks paralleling CP line as proposed above would very likely solve the flooding problem at the area near Eglinton, as well as allow one or maybe two useful in-city stops and faster service, so I'm very much in favour of this development. It just all comes down to financing this project which is obviously not a low-hanging fruit.

Not quite. There also would not be any weekend Barrie or Niagara Falls trains, and stations would be managed by nonunion staff so you might have some operational issues caused by people doing jobs they are not used to doing.

Bus maintenance people would also be on strike, but without bus drivers, that would not pose any immediate issues, though it might affect restoration of service. Train maintenance is done by Bombardier, and so would not be affected.

The official word is here:

http://gotransit.com/public/en/aboutus/labour_negotiations.aspx

Last edited:
Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1587, the union that represents approximately 1,850 GO Transit bus drivers, GO station attendants, maintenance personnel, transit safety and some office staff.

Noticeably absent from that list of employees is the GO ticket enforcement folks.....are they with a different union or is their being left out an indication that GO is trying not to encourage fare evasion in the event of a strike?

Noticeably absent from that list of employees is the GO ticket enforcement folks.....are they with a different union or is their being left out an indication that GO is trying not to encourage fare evasion in the event of a strike?

"Transit safety" are responsible for fare enforcement. I presume that management staff will be doing their best to handle enforcement during any strike.

Last edited:
I was looking at the 2013 capital plan from Metrolinx, and came across this little snippet:

In 2014-15 and 2015-16 GO expects to be able to provide additional peak service and start to
introduce two-way off-peak service on several corridors

I wonder if they are indeed considering starting all day GO service on Kitchener when Georgetown south is completed? Maybe taking a bit of their annual capital budget ($200 million a year IIRC) and spending some cash on the stouffville line to upgrade it? (strong off peak ridership, extremely cheap to upgrade compared to other lines, requiring only 13km of new track and 5 station rebuilds)

Last edited:

There is a detailed strike contingency plan in place on the train operations side. Much in the same way as there was for the last strike threat which was cancelled thanks to an eleventh hour settlement. For the obvious reasons, I can't elaborate any further beyond that on a public forum, sorry.

As I said above, there are plans in place to prevent/mitigate any problems but it's still possible some train crews may be delayed in departing their initial station/yard because of picketers which would result in train delays and possibly even cancellations.

Of all the times to threaten a strike...

Hudak would be smart to promise to make GO, if not all public transit, an essential service if they do strike. They wanted to do this when YRT went on strike a few years ago, actually.
I don't know if it would have much teeth against the Liberals, who have shown no hesitation about stopping and banning strikes. More so against the NDP I suppose. I'm not sure there's much to be gained at GO where there hasn't been a strike ever before ... as then you just take away the government's power to negotiate. You'll notice at the TTC that the one union that now no longer has the right to strike has a much better negotiated settlement than any of the other unions.

Hopefully the union has the sense to not start a strike during the election ...

Back