News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 557     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Milton will be the next one to the bat in terms of major GO upgrades - but the current capital program as it stands is already quite massive so only so much is possible at once. I imagine we'll see more talk about it soon.

And this could add to the 'soon' factor. Milton by-election coming.

That's over a fairly long time frame. Sure, Milton deserves to be in the mix.... but do you want the existing projects to proceed more slowly so some of the money available flows to Milton (and not getting that job done all that quickly, given that smaller slice) ? Better to get the already-committed projects moving and complete as fast as humanly possible and then more of the cash flow can be directed to Milton.

The saving grace is that once some of the RER lines do achieve that 2WAD performance, the public pressure to add the Milton line to the system will be that much greater. If any of the existing politicians are still around, they will feel the heat from that.

- Paul
As much as i mock deferred spending which derailed transit city I think it would be nice once in a while to hear that they are working on it and it is a priority. It maybe years away but hearing nothing makes one wonder if they are content forever with what they can offer.

^ and as was suggested in 2014 with a previous report, a potential rail under rail grade separation near the Humber River.

That bridge carries the CP as well as GO/UP. Surely such bridges should have sacrificial structures in advance of them when the clearance is only 4.0 meters
Disruption during rush hour but it was just over 1.5 hours. 7:25 am to 9:00 am. They might've needed time to inspect, get rid of debris on the tracks.

How much can Metrolinx upgrade the line when they don't own the tracks?
It depends on the arrangement. On some level money is going to transfer from govt to CP. I note that in Virginia some of the improvement works for rail service into DC involve purchasing 50pc of the ROW from CSX so they can own the resulting asset, as opposed to the third track VIA added on the Kingston sub which is now a CN asset. Depends on the situation and what the current owner is willing to consider.

This happens on Line 2 as well, although much less of an issue because of frequency. The clear solution is to either increase the frequency of the trains, build more housing where delivery drivers are working, or both! :)
It reminds me of the story of how Rosedale residents wanted the bike lanes on Yonge removed for whatever reason despite the fact that it was some of the busiest sections of bike lane in the city. Wonder where all those food deliveries are going!

Metrolinx should just move all their bike coaches to the Kitchener line. I always see the bike coaches on the way to Niagara. Do a lot of cyclists use the bike coaches to Niagara?
I think so in the summer at least, can't say how it is in the winter.

Metrolinx should just move all their bike coaches to the Kitchener line. I always see the bike coaches on the way to Niagara. Do a lot of cyclists use the bike coaches to Niagara?
Recreational cyclists looking to do a chill century on a quiet country road take the Niagara train. Joe job cyclists looking to make minimum wage delivering food take the Kitchener train. Well, both can take both, but in different proportions and at different times

Back