News   May 03, 2024
 96     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 420     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

so this is just them taking over the maintenance from alstom?

whats the "2nd proposal" from the development phase? the actual construction contract?

so this is just them taking over the maintenance from alstom?

whats the "2nd proposal" from the development phase? the actual construction contract?

They are taking over the final phase of construction, plus all maintenance, plus all operations.

First thing they will need to accomplish is laying the tracks and installing the signals for the expanded lines. I imagine they can add a few services right away, but lots will depend on adding those tracks. So the biggest changes won't happen on Jan 1 2025.

And, they will start to electrify - but again that's a multi year project. I wonder how long it will take to procure the distribution hardware... you can't get transformers or switchgear from Uline or Amazon.

- Paul

Sure. Bring a couple $ Billion to the table, and then we can talk.

- Paul
I could accept that thought process if it was applied to other places. Rather in Scarborough it’s subways or nothing even if we’re burning money and there are cheaper options.

It's interesting they already accepted ONxpress’ proposal for operations and maintenance before the end of the 2 year development phase. I wonder if they'll finalize the construction portion early too.

I could accept that thought process if it was applied to other places. Rather in Scarborough it’s subways or nothing even if we’re burning money and there are cheaper options.
I suggest you stop complaining about Mississauga not getting enough transit and Scarborough getting a subway. This is probably the thousandth time you have said this and this is simply trolling. This won't get you better transit in Mississauga. Complain to the MPs instead instead of derailing every other thread.

PS - Scarborough got the surface LRT portion of Line 5 while Etobicoke is getting it underground. Eglinton East LRT is also an LRT as the name suggests, so it is far from subway or nothing.

I suggest you stop complaining about Mississauga not getting enough transit and Scarborough getting a subway. This is probably the thousandth time you have said this and this is simply trolling. This won't get you better transit in Mississauga. Complain to the MPs instead instead of derailing every other thread.

PS - Scarborough got the surface LRT portion of Line 5 while Etobicoke is getting it underground. Eglinton East LRT is also an LRT as the name suggests, so it is far from subway or nothing.
There are literally Scarborough residents in the crosstown thread today predicting and hoping the line is obsolete and replaced.

All the milton line residents are asking for is all day two way service. It’s not as if there’s another option and we’re demanding the most luxury transit option. The go option is the cheapest option.

Last edited:
Aecon Group Inc. (TSX: ARE) (“Aecon”) announced today that ONxpress Operations Inc. (“OOI”), a member of ONxpress Transportation Partners (“ONxpress”), will serve as the new operations and maintenance partner for the GO Transit system in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Area over a 23-year term commencing January 1, 2025.

23 year term?

also that tells me we wont be seeing detailed plans until the end of the year. Small dissapointment

Aecon also holds a 50% interest in the project’s civil construction partnership with FCC, which is advancing work to finalize another contract by the end of 2024 for the design and construction scope of the OnCorr project. Early construction activities are ongoing and the development phase will conclude upon finalizing this contract.

^ end of 2024 matches what Metrolinx told CityNews in the clip below. So just based on this and what has been said publicly there is no official change in the timing. That could change in the future, of course.

Not quite.

They are taking over maintenance, operations and staffing from Alstom. But they are also taking over scheduling and some other activities from Metrolinx themselves.

Dan

Would it be safe to assume they would use most if not all of the existing employees from Alstom? Do people have to re-apply for their jobs?

Would it be safe to assume they would use most if not all of the existing employees from Alstom? Do people have to re-apply for their jobs?

Union staff will have successor rights and job security rights in their collective agreements.
- Teamsters local 660 for train operations and maintenance staff
- ATU Local 1587 for bus operators and maintenance personnel,
- Machinists & Aerospace workers 235 for GO Customer Service staff

Management staff? It's always interesting what happens to existing staff when a "takeover" happens. No guarantees, I imagine, and one would think that the new consortium may have people they want to bring in from their other organizations to help out.

This raises something I haven't had my eye on - what happens to GO bus operations when OnCorr arrives? Does ML retain this business, or does it go to the consortium also? To date we have heard a lot about OnCorr running the trains, but not much about how the bus operations might be affected. I may be the last to hear on this.

- Paul

Back