News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 577     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 878     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Could they have uncoupled the lead unit and have the train depart with one locomotive? Then haul the broken locomotive back to Willowbrook?
Question 1: How do you get an immobile lead unit out of the way so that the rest of your train can depart?
Question 2: Is there a cab car behind your lead unit or what else is going to head your train?

From what I understand, only one is used.
That would be the same as with VIA's Churchill service and having once witnessed one single F40 haul an entire Ocean summer consist from Campbellton to Montreal (after setting off an uncooperative loco), I can appreciate how overpowered a five-to-seven-car consist would be with two F40s on-line...

Last edited:
^Both units will be running, because the startup/warmup process is best not attempted in the heat of the moment.

Whether both units are providing traction, as opposed to running one and leaving the other at idle, I don’t know. But it’s a bit moot because there won’t be all that much throttle usage to keep the train moving west of Kitchener.

- Paul

Could they have uncoupled the lead unit and have the train depart with one locomotive? Then haul the broken locomotive back to Willowbrook?

In theory, yes. But the crew tried a number of different things and none of it was sucessful.

I also don't know if GO allows the crews to handle the MU and HEP connections. They may require a carman to do that, which is a mechanic position rather than a running trade.

It was the cab car that was having issues not the locomotives

No, it wasn't. As I wrote earlier, it was the leading locomotive.

Dan

In theory, yes. But the crew tried a number of different things and none of it was sucessful.

I also don't know if GO allows the crews to handle the MU and HEP connections. They may require a carman to do that, which is a mechanic position rather than a running trade.

No, it wasn't. As I wrote earlier, it was the leading locomotive.

Dan
Ohh i must have gotten confused, wasn't the issue caused by a cable problem (in really simple terms)?

Did the issue occur while still in the yard or while loading passengers at Union Station? I imagine that you can't block a platform track at Union Station forever - especially during PM peak...

Ohh i must have gotten confused, wasn't the issue caused by a cable problem (in really simple terms)?
At this point, I have no additional information beyond what I've already given - i.e. the problem originated within the leading F59.

Did the issue occur while still in the yard or while loading passengers at Union Station? I imagine that you can't block a platform track at Union Station forever - especially during PM peak...
The train had arrived at Union and was ready to start loading passengers. And yes, it did end up tying up a platform track for several hours.

Dan

This is a political promise, and as such could go in the relevant political discussion thread; but as the subject of the promise is a hot topic in this thread, I will drop it here too:

From Stephen Del Duca:

1636384883448.png

This is a political promise, and as such could go in the relevant political discussion thread; but as the subject of the promise is a hot topic in this thread, I will drop it here too:

From Stephen Del Duca:

View attachment 361468
Every 15 minutes during the peak?

Somebody forgot to tell Del Duca that the AM peak service on Milton line was already every 11 minutes when he was transport minister...

Knipsel.JPG

Last edited:
Oh man, so many ribbons to be cut! I'm surprised Del Duca hasn't combusted in delight.

You don't know that 1/2 of it; there's likely to be a Tim Horton's kiosk at every stop that opens after the station, justifying a second ribbon cutting!

From Stephen Del Duca:

View attachment 361468

This guy couldn't even deliver on his own promise of all-day service to Kitchener. His words are not worth the toilet paper it's printed on.

As for the Hwy 413 comment, his party did plenty of their own highway projects like the 407 East extension. Where was all the concern for the environment when they did that?

Back