News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 639     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

To be fair its going to be 45mph (70km/hr) by the end of the year
Below the corresponding blog post:
Earlier this spring, Metrolinx also conducted tests of improved signalling systems through the City of Guelph that will allow trains to safely travel at higher speeds.

Thanks to all that work, starting Oct. 25, 2021, GO train speed limits will start incrementally increasing, with three-week intervals between every increase:

• Increase from 10 mph to 20 mph starting October 25

• Increase from 20 mph to 30 mph starting November 15

• Increase from 30 mph to 45 mph starting December 6

To prepare for this, Metrolinx also recently completed upgrades at level crossings that will result in the cross arms, lights, and sounds responding to approaching trains much sooner.

Quick order-of-magnitude benefits of this new raised speed limit for the 1 mile (1.6 km) zone through Guelph:

1 mile @ 10 mph = 6 minutes
1 mile @ 45 mph = 1.3 minutes

Net time savings: 4.7 minutes

The trains of course need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph within Guelph, but that should approximately cancel out with the time they used to need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph west of Guelph (en route to 70 mph).

Kitchener Station - Guelph Station travel times assuming a conservative 3-minute improvement:
Current: 21 minutes (63.6 km/h average)
December: 18 minutes (74.2 km/h average)
By comparison, Google Maps estimates the car driving time at 29 minutes without traffic.

Once Kitchener Central Station opens (providing easy access to GO trains from across Waterloo Region) and Guelph Station gets its second platform (allowing hourly all-day train service), I expect that GO will capture a sizeable chunk of the Kitchener-Guelph travel market.

A 3-minute improvement would reduce the Kitchener to Toronto travel time to 1h38 for express trains (63 km/h average) and 1h46 for local trains (58 km/h average). We've come a long way from the 2+ hour travel times when the service was first introduced.

__

On a semi-related note, I happened across this description of speed limits on the Guelph Subdivision (London-Georgetown) in a TSB report on a derailment in 2004:

The Guelph Subdivision is designated as Class 4 track,Footnote3 with maximum allowable operating speeds of 70 mph for passenger trains and 55 mph for freight trains.

The Guelph Subdivision extends in an east-west orientation from Mile 30.0 (the junction with the Halton Subdivision) to Mile 119.9 at London. At the time of the occurrence, temporary slow orders (TSOs) were in effect at all locations where jointed rail was used. These TSOs (Mile 51.0 to Mile 58.8, Mile 64.0 to Mile 78.0, and Mile 91.0 to Mile 116.0) restricted passenger train speed to 60 mph and freight train speed to 40 mph. These TSOs have been in effect since 1996.
So it sounds like welding the rails would indeed be a prerequisite to getting the Kitchener-London speeds back up to the historical 70 mph (112 km/h), up from the current 30 mph (50 km/h) and 40 mph (64 km/h) speed restrictions.

Last edited:
Quick order-of-magnitude benefits of this new raised speed limit for the 1 mile (1.6 km) zone through Guelph:

1 mile @ 10 mph = 6 minutes
1 mile @ 45 mph = 1.3 minutes

Net time savings: 4.7 minutes

The trains of course need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph within Guelph, but that should approximately cancel out with the time they used to need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph west of Guelph (en route to 70 mph).

Kitchener Station - Guelph Station travel times assuming a conservative 3-minute improvement:
Current: 21 minutes (63.6 km/h average)
December: 18 minutes (74.2 km/h average)
By comparison, Google Maps estimates the car driving time at 29 minutes without traffic.

Once Kitchener Central Station opens (providing easy access to GO trains from across Waterloo Region) and Guelph Station gets its second platform (allowing hourly all-day train service), I expect that GO will capture a sizeable chunk of the Kitchener-Guelph travel market.

A 3-minute improvement would reduce the Kitchener to Toronto travel time to 1h38 for express trains (63 km/h average) and 1h46 for local trains (58 km/h average). We've come a long way from the 2+ hour travel times when the service was first introduced.

__

On a semi-related note, I happened across this description of speed limits on the Guelph Subdivision (London-Georgetown) in a TSB report on a derailment in 2004:

So it sounds like welding the rails would indeed be a prerequisite to getting the Kitchener-London speeds back up to the historical 70 mph (112 km/h), up from the current 30 mph (50 km/h) and 40 mph (64 km/h) speed restrictions.
So that would apply for the Kitchener west portion as well. If they could get it to 45mph it would be a huge investment.

Is there currently a summary available of current speed enhancement projects on the GO network?
Not that I'm aware of, but off the top of my head I can only think of two:

As part of this same project, GO has said they will build a new mainline platform at Georgetown station to raise the speed limit from yard speed (10 mph?) to mainline speed (70 mph). However that should have been tendered a year ago yet I haven't heard about any shovels in the ground.

As part of the Union Station Enhancement project the three southernmost tracks of Union Station will be rebuilt to allow a speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) through the approach tracks and platforms. If I recall correctly, trains are currently limited to 30 mph (50 km/h) in the approaches and 5 mph (8 km/h) in the platforms.

It would make sense if there were speed upgrades included in the current double tracking on the Stouffville line between Kennedy and Agincourt, and the Davenport Diamond grade separation, but I haven't heard of any. Both of those segments have unusually low speed limits.

As part of the Union Station Enhancement project the three southernmost tracks of Union Station will be rebuilt to allow a speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) through the approach tracks and platforms. If I recall correctly, trains are currently limited to 30 mph (50 km/h) in the approaches and 5 mph (8 km/h) in the platforms.
Trains are currently allowed 45mph on the east side of the USRC heading outbound, 30mph heading inbound. This is from the ladders east to the Don.

Trains are limited to 30mph on the west side of the USRC until the subdivisions start, which is a couple of hundred meters east of Bathurst.

The ladders are all currently limited to 15mph.

Once the signalling system is complete, trains will be allowed to run at 60mph within the USRC from its outer limits to the ladders, 25mph diverging on the ladders and 45mph on the straights until they reach the trainshed.

Dan

Trains are currently allowed 45mph on the east side of the USRC heading outbound, 30mph heading inbound. This is from the ladders east to the Don.

Trains are limited to 30mph on the west side of the USRC until the subdivisions start, which is a couple of hundred meters east of Bathurst.

The ladders are all currently limited to 15mph.

Once the signalling system is complete, trains will be allowed to run at 60mph within the USRC from its outer limits to the ladders, 25mph diverging on the ladders and 45mph on the straights until they reach the trainshed.

Dan
When's the signaling upgrades planned to be completed again? 2022 right? The combined time savings impact on travel times will be massive as it will effect literally 90% of GO customers. From what I recall it's supposed to cut travel times by about 2 minutes on LSW/Milton/Kitchener/Barrie trains and ~3 minutes on Richmond Hill/LSE trains, right?

I thought the plan had been to upgrade the ladders themselves, first to 30 mph, and then to 45 mph. (or was it 45 km/hr ... though this was posted here some years ago now).

When's the signaling upgrades planned to be completed again? 2022 right? The combined time savings impact on travel times will be massive as it will effect literally 90% of GO customers. From what I recall it's supposed to cut travel times by about 2 minutes on LSW/Milton/Kitchener/Barrie trains and ~3 minutes on Richmond Hill/LSE trains, right?
The first stage of the cut-over - the Cherry Tower - was supposed to be November of last year. But obviously that didn't happen.

At this point, I have no clue as to when it is all scheduled to occur. They're still installing new signals and running wires, so I suspect that it's some time away.

There will be time savings, but the real improvements will be in the capacity to the system.

I thought the plan had been to upgrade the ladders themselves, first to 30 mph, and then to 45 mph. (or was it 45 km/hr ... though this was posted here some years ago now).
The ladders all had their hardware - tracks, switch machines, etc. - upgraded several years ago.

The issue now is that the signal system to protect and operate them needs to be completed, and until that happens, it says as status quo.

Dan

We have told you why to take the train, to get to Kitchener at around 7:30, before many jobs startup around there. If you refuse to listen what people tell you, why are you here?

Also GO commuter rail lines leaving the city in the morning? They do: See early morning train service to Kitchener and Barrie.
I agree with the general point, but just want to note that these cities are not nearly as far as London. Even Peterborough is closer.

I agree with the general point, but just want to note that these cities are not nearly as far as London. Even Peterborough is closer.
Agreed, but it's also worth noting that London-Kitchener is slightly shorter (94 km) than Kitchener-Toronto (101 km) and quite a bit shorter than Niagara Falls-Toronto (132 km) - or (since you just mentioned it) Peterborough-Toronto (124 km)...

Another thing with Peterborough vs. London: Peterborough is a) significantly smaller than London. And b) there is NOTHING between Peterborough and Toronto. The Peterborough Line is something I never see happening. Compared to London-Kitchener which has some people along it. Not a massive amount, but enough to make it morw worthwhile.

Another thing with Peterborough vs. London: Peterborough is a) significantly smaller than London. And b) there is NOTHING between Peterborough and Toronto. The Peterborough Line is something I never see happening. Compared to London-Kitchener which has some people along it. Not a massive amount, but enough to make it morw worthwhile.

Return of passenger rail service to Peterborough projected for 2030

Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra announces procurement process for intercity high frequency rail service will begin this fall​

From link.
Two worlds collided Thursday morning (July 8) in Peterborough as the future of passenger rail service in southern Ontario was unveiled at the site of one of the Ontario’s most historic Canadian Pacific rail stations.

Federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, joined by Peterborough-Kawartha MP Maryam Monsef and Peterborough Mayor Diane Therrien, announced Ottawa’s commitment to develop intercity high frequency rail (HFR) service in the Toronto to Quebec City corridor.

With completion of the project forecasted for 2030, and with $500 million already set aside in the federal budget for the early stages of the procurement process, the HFR line will feature stops at a number of communities along the corridor, Peterborough among them.
As a project that has been considered, reviewed, reconsidered, lobbied for and outright promised for years, there’s now a light at the end of the train tunnel.

Being done in conjunction with VIA Rail — the passenger rail service’s president and CEO Cynthia Garneau was also on hand — the project represents the largest transportation infrastructure initiative undertaken in Canada in decades.

The new dedicated rail line will result in shorter travel times and faster trains that will reduce average trip times significantly. For example, as much as 90 minutes will be shaved off the average Toronto-to-Ottawa trip.
The dedicated passenger rail track would allow for train speeds in the 177 to 200 kilometres per hour range.

Other benefits include more reliable on-time performance (up to 95 per cent from the current average of 67 per cent), more direct routes with improved connectivity between communities as well as to other modes of transportation, and new rail service for a number of communities including Peterborough.

The procurement process for the project begins this fall. That will include engaging Indigenous groups and communities for feedback, working with the private sector to determine capacity as well to gather opinions on the best possible delivery model, and starting a dialogue with partner rail companies to negotiate for dedicated routes both in and out of communities situated along the corridor.
“A phased approach will help ensure the success of this project,” said Minister Alghabra.

“A significant amount of work has been done since 2016. We’ve been working closely with VIA Rail and the Canada Infrastructure Bank to make progress in the design and planning stages. Our government plans to select a delivery model prior to the request for proposals that will launch this fall. We want more reliable and cleaner travel options for Canadians and we want it to be done right.”

Terming the announcement “a historic moment for the people of Peterborough, for the people of Ontario and for the people of Canada,” Alghabra acknowledged the restoration of passenger rail service to Peterborough “has been talked about for years.”
In her remarks, MP Monsef echoed that, crediting “leaders in Peterborough-Kawartha who believed this was the right thing to do for our community — who brought others along and did the due diligence. This moment, this celebration, is for you.”

“In post-pandemic Canada, we are all aware of how vital our connections are,” Monsef added. “Whether it’s our internet connections, whether it’s our connections by water, whether it’s our connections by air, whether it’s our connections through land transportation opportunities, these connections are vital.”

Mayor Therrien, meanwhile, shared that her mom told her stories about taking the train to Peterborough when she was a kid.
“This project has been talked about and studied … to know that things are moving forward is exciting,” Therrien said. “I know we still have decisions to make, like where the new station is going to go — this spot (the historic CPR station that houses the Peterborough Chamber of Commerce) looks pretty great to me — but that’s to be decided.”

Afterwards, Therrien talked about the impact the new passenger rail service will have on the city.

“There are a lot of people that live in Peterborough that work in the GTA,” she noted. “It will help alleviate traffic on the 115. There are a lot of people working remotely that might want to live here but still want easy access to not just Toronto but Ottawa and Montreal.”

“We know we’re trying to move people out of their cars as much as possible, so any form of public transportation is a good thing.”

As for the location of a new train station, Therrien said the downtown is her preference.

“Historically, there was a reason this stop was downtown. That would really be a boon to our economy.”

An interested observer of the announcement, who was acknowledged for his behind-the-scenes work lobbying for passenger rail service to the region, was Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Mayor Jim Martin.

“We’re hoping we’re going to be a part of it … we have almost 100 acres right in the middle of town (Havelock) that’s all rail yard,” Mayor Martin noted.

“Whether it’s cleaning the trains or servicing them, and also perhaps a (train) stop, Havelock is a railway town. A lot of things have changed but it’s kind of coming back. Maryam (MP Monsef) has kept things rolling, as did (former Peterborough-Kawartha MP) Dean Del Mastro in the past. It’s my hope that we remain in the conversation.”
Hosting the announcement was Peterborough Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Stu Harrison, who has also been a key player in the lobbying process for a return of passenger rail service to the region. He noted there’s another local benefit to the service.

“There’s a significant amount of freight business that comes through this area,” Harrison pointed out. “But it’s a 10-kilometre-per-hour speed limit all the way into Toronto — a 16-hour trip.”

With passenger trains using the HFR line during the day, freight trains could run on the line at night.

“That freight would now be allowed to run at night at dramatically faster speeds,” he explained. “That’s going to be transformative. It will literally save freight service in this area and save us putting a lot of trucks on the road if we lost the line.”

Back