News   Jul 15, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

For Kitchener - 162 sm x 2 cars x 62 mikes x 2 round trip x 5 days x 4 trains is a lot of pedalling faster to stand still.
Yeah...my sixth sense and I have been having a long discussion, as the relevance of what Verster presents to the Empire Club wouldn't be put to the general public. And one has to wonder why? And the tentative answer is that it's a *sales pitch* to private backers. 'Look at how healthy our system is, and how rosy the outlook is'. In blunter words: 'What a good investment for you'.

Following those links I provided reveals a plethora of sub-definitions and more usable ones in terms of quantifying utility and value. They all make it even more curious that Verster/ML are presenting 'the story' in the way they are.

More later, must run.

I'm hoping september will see full 15 min service on LSW, perhaps with Weekend service as well.

That or some better service on other lines.. I don't think the infrastructure is there yet for Stouffville or Barrie though to really add that much.

Id like to see weekend service on Stouffville and Kitchener lines asap. Doesnt need new infrastructure.

Id like to see weekend service on Stouffville and Kitchener lines asap. Doesnt need new infrastructure.
This is one of the contradictory loops Metrolinx hang themselves with. Verster is one of the most prolific proponents of late with "It must make a business case" and yet many of the promises on RER don't outside of peak.

Metrolinx and their ©Bafflegab game have a selection of 'Excuse of the Day' get out of jail cards. It all depends on who they're pitching themselves at, and what the Puppet Masters dictate from QP. "Dean French" is nothing to do with learning a language, everything to do with the associated game to ©Bafflegab: ©Gameplan.

Yeah...my sixth sense and I have been having a long discussion, as the relevance of what Verster presents to the Empire Club wouldn't be put to the general public. And one has to wonder why? And the tentative answer is that it's a *sales pitch* to private backers. 'Look at how healthy our system is, and how rosy the outlook is'. In blunter words: 'What a good investment for you'.

One of the most interesting comments Verster said was how people in Toronto planned in the past. You took the technology you loved (subway, rail, LRT, etc) and then found a way for it to be the solution for a transit need. He said that instead they are now looking at the the transit need and then finding the best solution. Which makes sense.

His example was East Harbour. By going subway you are stuck going under the Don River and a 4-6 story interchange between GO and the DRL. Which means fewer people will interchange here and more people will stick with Union. Instead they want an easy interchange. Maybe even cross-platform. So they had to go above the Don River (saves money and there is a good rationale in doing so). And the only way to do that is via a lighter train. Will be exciting to see how they loop the DRL further south so this cross-platform interchange can happen.

His (Verster's) example was East Harbour. By going subway you are stuck going under the Don River and a 4-6 story interchange between GO and the DRL. Which means fewer people will interchange here and more people will stick with Union. Instead they want an easy interchange. Maybe even cross-platform. So they had to go above the Don River (saves money and there is a good rationale in doing so). And the only way to do that is via a lighter train. Will be exciting to see how they loop the DRL further south so this cross-platform interchange can happen.
A number of serious problems with that, starting with "East Harbour GO station". That's FastTrack. Verster committed a faux pas on acknowledging what Metrolinx have been trying to downplay: A GO station at that location.

Secondly: If you have TBMs in deep tunnel, you don't bring them to the surface to put the line over a small river and then send them back down ten storeys again.

Think about it. That depth is exactly one of the reasons for deep-tunnelling to begin with, to avoid challenges like that. The cost of tunnelling is not the boring of the tunnels themselves, that's relatively cheap. It's the launching and purchase of the equipment to begin with. Once in the ground, you might as well dig until the groundhogs come home.

There's also the problem of the cutting head being optimized for cutting through shale, not soft overlay. If it's in one density of medium, you leave it there to continue ahead unless you're forced to accommodate a geologic change.

As to how Verster allowed himself to get coaxed into flaunting that fable is a very telling question. Not to mention there's already a chance to interchange passengers at Gerrard and Exhibition if the touted route is to be believed (which frankly, it isn't, but that's a whole other discussion).

Let me flip this over: Can someone show me an example of where a deep tunnel has been brought up from the depths to go over a bridge to then dive down ten storeys again, in the name of saving cost?

There is one aspect of this that might make sense, but if so, then why the hell doesn't Verster cite it: Emerging for the purpose of attaining a storage/maintenance and track interconnection to the GO mainlines, and then diving back down to deep tunnel.

I'm seriously starting to question Verster's sense of engineering...not that it matters much when you're a puppet.

Let me flip this over: Can someone show me an example of where a deep tunnel has been brought up from the depths to go over a bridge to then dive down ten storeys again, in the name of saving cost?
Who says it dives down at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it elevated, and propose running a monorail down Richmond Street or something.

Who says it dives down at all.
They do. Check Verster's latest claim on it. It's bizarre.
Many references available for the route, albeit it's all nebulous, but to hold 'them' to their word:
It will then follow the path that the City of Toronto has already approved for the line to Pape Station and then head northward to end at the Science Centre Station on the under-construction Eglinton Crosstown LRT line. The line would mostly be underground other than for an elevated crossing of the Don River, likely in East York, but details are slim and that isn't completely clear.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/04/ontario-government-lines-new-toronto-transit-plan

Verster's (gist) "East Harbour Station adjacent to the Eastern Av bridge" (Which is where the SmartTrack 'Harbour East' station was projected to be) is further fantasy when one views the published map:
The Ontario Line, part of the larger transit expansion announcement, Toronto
The Ontario Line, part of the larger transit expansion announcement, image, Province of Ontario

Last edited:
Crossing the Don above grade makes a ton of sense to enable a friendlier at-grade connection to GO, the proposed Broadview extension, and for the happy sheep working at First Gulf's new "business district". But look at the lay of the land there...the Lakeshore East rail corridor is on an embankment and everything around it is at a lower grade.

How will the Ontario Line drop quickly enough to make it back under both Eastern Avenue and the rail corridor? It can't. So, are we talking about another Davenport or Scarborough Junction fly-over? That'll never fly in this part of the city, for a slew of reasons.

Study, study, report on it, study some more....who benefits from all of this? The same consultants that are benefitting from delaying the GO Expansion (RER) program for the past 5 years, due to indecision and inaction.

Apologies for repeating what I wrote on another thread but I really feel people should know what's happening with our tax dollars (and maybe an investigative journalist might see it?):
Money spent to date on GO Expansion: $4.2+ billion
Completion date: it used to be 2024, it's now 2030+++

And I'll just leave this here again:

How will the Ontario Line drop quickly enough to make it back under both Eastern Avenue and the rail corridor? It can't.
It can, but with massive handicaps, not least gradient and passing through different soil and bedrock strata and still taking lengthy approach trenches before attaining a bridge...through established neighbourhoods. WTF?

What astounds me is that Verster mimes this and no-one is calling him on it! For someone who has a rail background in the UK, surely...*SURELY* he knows the basics behind the Crossrail engineering principles?

Welcome to ©Bafflegab @bbanner102097 ! The Metrolinx game where they try to fool you by usiihikuwb sljhekhfl ;omyijy yrpo terms they expect you not to understand. It works on a lot of folks!

This is one of the most asinine things he's claimed yet, and it's wrong on so many counts. Plus it will cost *multiples more* than remaining in deep tunnel in the strata the TBM is equipped for (The cutting head being one of many items optimized per the shale challenge).

You'll note, and you'd think even non-techs would understand, that the proposed route alignments don't allow for this, let alone operational height/depth difference of the two lines.

I'm waiting for Verster to declare:

0:39
Titanic 3D | "I'm the King of the World" | Official Clip HD

20th Century Fox UK
YouTube - Mar 16, 2012

In all deference to Verster and his mindless mantra minions, I think they're all afraid for their jobs:
Stockholm syndrome is a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity.
Stockholm syndrome - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Now if we only had Stockholm's transit system...

Last edited:
I think all of you are overreacting just a bit. He mentioned that it was an engineering impossibility to tunnel under the don river and come back up to fairly shallow depths. This was in reference to talking about east harbor and how the transfer there would be difficult if the people would have to climb 6 flights of stairs. I don't agree with the way he worded things, it certainly is confusing, but that's what I generally got from his statement.

Just to clarify, I am in no way in support of the design of the Ontario line and would much rather see a completed Relief Line South first.

He mentioned that it was an engineering impossibility to tunnel under the don river and come back up to fairly shallow depths.
That's not what he said at all. I'll quote him word for word...better yet, I'll link it and let you listen again:
Vid@ 34:20 he starts talking about East Harbour (What he says is fantasy "Union Station of the East" but I'll argue that some other time).

He states "cross the Don" @34:52. A few more seconds in, he states: "stations side-by-side""just cross the platform". I don't know how you interpret that, but slowly some are waking up to what's actually being said. It's about time.

I suggest you view it.
https://www.mediaevents.ca/empireclub-20190502/

In the opening of the vid, Verster can't bend over far enough to accommodate the "Yurek Philosophy". It's almost farce it's so lubricated...

I had a lot of faith when Verster burst on the scene, and praised him as being refreshing and informed. I quoted the two interviews by Jonathan English in the UT. I admit, I was fooled...

The man now calling himself Phil Verster is not the same one as in those interviews...

Last edited:
So........

I've been leaving this Ontario Line discussion alone for a bit waiting for some dust to settle to see what we are actually talking about, as opposed to speculating about.

That said, I've been reading people's thoughts.

Some of those thoughts got me to looking at the existing alignment proposal (TTC, EA); and then the discussion about crossing the river above ground, as well the suggestion of how that would relate to the new Broadview/East Harbour Stn.

A few observations.

The existing proposal for the underground alignment has the subway going underneath Corktown Common park on an angle across the upper portion of the park.

Assuming it were otherwise possible to surface a train/track on this proposed alignment, it would shadow a meaningful portion of said park, have to pass over a flood protection berm without disturbing its stability in the short or long term............

That alignment would also pass over the existing historic Eastern Ave bridge and associated gas infrastructure.................and would have to pass within proverbial spitting distance of the existing BMW building.

Alternate alignment options are equally problematic, they would all pass over Corktown Common Park, unless you took the train south to the USRC/LSE corridor and brought it up there..

However, that option requires changing the alignment of the King/Sumach Station, and creates another problem...you can't bring the train up under Cherry w/o disrupting the streetcar, or closing Cherry to cars..............

That leaves very little room for a tight curve and rising to meet the level of the rail embankment before the River.

Meeting the embankment on the north side of the corridor would mean coming up after the 2 tracks for Bala curve north, and before the river. Very tight.

Meeting the embankment on the south side of the corridor means pinching tracks from the Don Yard, but will also run very close to the Gardiner Hybrid Option ramp infrastructure.

The above notwithstanding, I'm not going to pre-judge that there isn't a good option here; but I confess to not seeing it at first blush, and to contemplating a fairly massive revision to existing designs that would surely delay, rather than accelerate this project.

As for someone suggesting the train will be elevated down Richmond Street.............good luck w/that. That requires support piers.........which can't possibly fail to take away at least one lane of traffic, maybe more, there is no engineering/EA work on such an alignment or idea, so that's a from scratch re-start, the property impact issues would be enormous..........granted the impossible happens every so often.........but I'm thinking the safe bet on this idea is 'non-starter'.

Other random note. The suggestion there's a super deep dive under the river, relative to where the station box would be anyways, assuming it came in under the existing sewer............well, I'll let the diagram speak for itself.

From the EA for the Relief Line: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/relief-line-epr/appendix/Appendix 3-1_Relief Line South Horizontal and Vertical Alignment.pdf

Last edited:

Back