News   Jul 15, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 406     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Per the above, I'm all for experiments so I'd say go for it. I do wonder if there are any obstacles to doing this? Enough buses? The overlap of having two services arrive at the same time (obviously in different locations - train/bus). Are there any factors to consider folks are aware of when GO makes the decision of removing buses in favour of trains? It would be interesting to know their rationale for what they did for the Stouffville Line.
if they have enough buses to run half hourly service before the train introduction....pretty sure they would have enough buses to run hourly service once the trains are introduced...no?

if they have enough buses to run half hourly service before the train introduction....pretty sure they would have enough buses to run hourly service once the trains are introduced...no?

Yes that would make sense. Unless their approach for other lines is to reallocate the buses once train service is introduced. I really don't know and am only guessing. Given how close we are to an election it'll be interesting to see if the local MPP's efforts are successful in the Stouffville case.

What boggles my mind is allowing a 52 minute layover at Unionville, when the trains could go a couple further stops up the line and still have time to reverse and come back on their time. The signalling upgrade to allow that is pretty cheap and easy.

- Paul

Hmmm.. I wonder why trains aren't running up to Mount Joy. 15 minute turnaround and back again. That would be similar to the Kitchener Line running to Mount Pleasant. Trains pass each other between Malton and the end of the Metrolinx-owned territory just east of Bramalea (at optimum operation). Turnaround time at MP is 11-18 minutes. Hourly service to Mount Joy might be easier for people to deal with.

Go Transit has simple gone about this all wrong and it's grinding on different people.

-Fill in the service Gaps.
-Maintain bus service for those farther out

The buck stops at Del Duca.

This. No reason you can't squeeze a train in between the half hourly bus service.

I've noticed some lines don't follow exactly the same routing when bus/train. For example the Newmarket/Aurora go bus route 65 travels down the 404 (logically) while the train travels (on the Barrie line) out to the west hitting King, Maple, etc. Maybe this is the reasoning for separating the Train and Bus services?

As it happens I had business in Markham today, so I checked out the new GO train.

Ridership was encouraging. One thing that was obvious is that 90% of the passengers boarding at Unionville came directly off connecting buses. This sure made me wonder why the train doesn't proceed further. My destination was walking distance from Markham GO, and the train would definitely have saved me a few minutes.... the bus route has many turns and lights so it isn't a quick ride.

Unionville station is locked up after 09:00, and there is not a single sign with the train schedule on it around the outside of the station. Definitely unhelpful.

While work on the double tracking seems to have progressed a touch since my last visit, I saw only a handful of people at work. There's not much going on, but the track foremen are on scene to guard the tranquility. That's a waste of money.

- Paul

Just saw the special train schedule for The Caribbean Carnival tomorrow. I'm curious as to what would prompt the reduced service on the Barrie line's north end I.e. All trains originating and ending at Aurora Station with no train service further north. Don't all the trains come from the Allandale Yard anyway? According tot the schedule, equivalent bus service meets are an hour earlier!!

Just saw the special train schedule for The Caribbean Carnival tomorrow. I'm curious as to what would prompt the reduced service on the Barrie line's north end I.e. All trains originating and ending at Aurora Station with no train service further north. Don't all the trains come from the Allandale Yard anyway? According tot the schedule, equivalent bus service meets are an hour earlier!!

Didn't the info page about that closure say it was due to track construction north of Aurora? They can deadhead two trains down to the Kirby siding tonight.

Edit: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#barriereductions says "GO Buses will replace train service between Aurora and Allandale Waterfront GO Stations the weekend of August 5-6th as we work toward bringing two-way, all-day service to the Barrie corridor." Yep, that would mean track/station construction.

Didn't the info page about that closure say it was due to track construction north of Aurora? They can deadhead two trains down to the Kirby siding tonight.

Edit: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#barriereductions says "GO Buses will replace train service between Aurora and Allandale Waterfront GO Stations the weekend of August 5-6th as we work toward bringing two-way, all-day service to the Barrie corridor." Yep, that would mean track/station construction.

I see. Didn't see the construction segment. Linked to the schedule directly from Transit Toronto. Thanks

Article on the GO train service to Niagara by also brief references to the Kitchener-Waterloo and Bowmanville extensions:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/08/04/niagara-still-going-for-go

Quotes respecting service:

“The point is, the service is already there,” said Caslin in a Wednesday interview with The Standard about the status of GO Niagara. “Absolutely, that could be done.”

Metrolinx, however, said the situation is not as cut and dried as some people might like.

Aikins pointed out that Metrolinx does not own the rail lines in Niagara’s transit corridor. Those lines are owned by CN, and negotiations with Metrolinx are ongoing.

“So, like similar extensions to Kitchener-Waterloo and Bowmanville, the expansion plan requires extensive collaboration with our rail partner and the region. We’re continuing our work,” Aikins said.

There are other logistics that could impact the GO timeline.

In May, Erin Moroz, director of communications and community relations for Metrolinx, told The Standard that a Niagara commuter service is not just about who owns the tracks. It is also about trains.

Moroz said Metrolinx needs to expand its fleet of trains to meet the growing demand for GO services in Ontario.

AMA quoted as saying there will be an update in the fall. The next ML Board meeting is September 14 - I wonder if there will be any news released then.

- Paul

AMA quoted as saying there will be an update in the fall. The next ML Board meeting is September 14 - I wonder if there will be any news released then.

- Paul

Good catch. I somehow missed that reference. Full quote:
“We are aware of the request to launch service by 2021 instead of 2023 as promised, but it’s too early to say at this point,” said GO spokeswoman Anne Marie Aikins, adding Metrolinx is going to provide a full update on GO expansion in the fall."

Hopefully this includes communications in respect to Hamilton's role in the Niagara service, including West Harbour GO station.

Back