News   Aug 16, 2019
 2K     8 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 798     1 
News   Aug 16, 2019
 933     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Andy_in_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Lakeshore East Rail Corridor – Bowmanville Extension Update Meetings (Reminder)

Metrolinx to Significantly Increase Trains to Bowmanville

One of our goals is to find a way to get more rail service to communities beyond Oshawa as quickly as we can, and to do so with an all-day service. The original plan from a few years ago was for limited service in the morning and evening peaks only. Theoptions we are now considering are based on operating train service throughout the day. You are invited to attend one of our community meetings to learn more about thefour options we are considering to extend GO service beyond Oshawa. You can review the options here.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You can tell Metrolinx is angling for Option 3 4. While I don't hate it as it retains existing infrastructure at Oshawa GO and will most likely result in significantly higher speeds for the trip to Bowmanville, Missing the planned Ritson station is pretty poor land use planning. That station would be a boon for access to Downtown Oshawa, which actually has quite a few active development applications right now and seems to be really turning a corner in a lot of ways.

I think it's easy to forget that half the purpose of the Bowmanville Extension was to improve service to Oshawa, and Option 3 4 removes a lot of those benefits.

Regardless, It's exciting to see that they are now planning for all day service. I always found that to be a pretty major issue with the old plan.

Last edited:

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Regardless, It's exciting to see that they are now planning for all day service.
The fine print still doesn't make sense according to what's being touted:
Electrified GO Expansion services will terminate at Oshawa station.
- Option 3

Go figure...(Best I detail as it will be missed by some: System-wide planned RER electrified is the prerequisite for "15 min all-day two way" since present stock numbers are woefully inadequate to do so) In the event, I take anything coming out of the Metrolinx Fantasy Fiesta with a grain of magic dust. It's going to be three and half years until anything believable or concrete happens from ML. And then the following regime will have the legitimate excuse: "The Ford Tories left the cupboard looted and bare. It will take years to rebuild the plans to expand".

Btw: I notice that the 'Get Out of Promise Free' card has been expunged from a number of ML docs. The (gist) "contingent on the Immaculate Leader's whims' clause.

I'll reference later, must run.

Last edited:

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
You can tell Metrolinx is angling for Option 3. While I don't hate it as it retains existing infrastructure at Oshawa GO and will most likely result in significantly higher speeds for the trip to Bowmanville, Missing the planned Ritson station is pretty poor land use planning. That station would be a boon for access to Downtown Oshawa, which actually has quite a few active development applications right now and seems to be really turning a corner in a lot of ways.

I think it's easy to forget that half the purpose of the Bowmanville Extension was to improve service to Oshawa, and Option 3 removes a lot of those benefits.
And similarly, look at where the station in Bowmanville will be relocated to under Option 3. Man, Durham region just continues to be an epic failure in land use planning.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The fine print still doesn't make sense according to what's being touted:

- Option 3

Go figure...(Best I detail as it will be missed by some: System-wide planned RER electrified is the prerequisite for "15 min all-day two way" since present stock numbers are woefully inadequate to do so) In the event, I take anything coming out of the Metrolinx Fantasy Fiesta with a grain of magic dust. It's going to be three and half years until anything believable or concrete happens from ML. And then the following regime will have the legitimate excuse: "The Ford Tories left the cupboard looted and bare. It will take years to rebuild the plans to expand".

Btw: I notice that the 'Get Out of Promise Free' card has been expunged from a number of ML docs. The (gist) "contingent on the Immaculate Leader's whims' clause.

I'll reference later, must run.
My understanding is that they appear to be planning 15 minute service to end in Oshawa still, with hourly express trains running to Bowmanville. A similar setup to the planned service to Hamilton on LSW.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Ritson South GO station on the CN line is not horrible - it's not far from where the old CN station was, actually. It's a much easier connection to downtown by transit or by active transportation than the current station, though I'd really like the electrification to extend there, if by expropriation if necessary. Ritson South should have a bus terminal, but limited parking, as access to Highway 401 isn't great, despite the proximity.

Hopefully the old Oshawa Railway bridge can be rebuilt over the 401 for an extension of the multiuse path south to Ritson.

But the new Bowmanville Station would be awful if trains remain on the CN line - and again, if that's where it ends up, its too bad the rail spur bridge over Highway 401 was recently removed - it would have made for a nice path towards Downtown Bowmanville.

DonValleyRainbow

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Ritson South GO station on the CN line is not horrible - it's not far from where the old CN station was, actually. It's a much easier connection to downtown by transit or by active transportation than the current station, though I'd really like the electrification to extend there, if by expropriation if necessary. Ritson South should have a bus terminal, but limited parking, as access to Highway 401 isn't great, despite the proximity.
I have to agree. The CP Ritson Road station is still a good click and a half southeast of Oshawa's core, and nestled in low density housing (even if there are new developments in the pipe. Moving it south wouldn't make a huge difference in that regard. What I would like to see is a different bridge location, however. A station by Bloor St was envisioned as part of this extension, that'll be nixed with Option 4 unless you shifted the 401 bridge north. Then again, a new station and a new mid-to-high density community north of the 401 between Prestonvale and Townline Road wouldn't be so bad.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Option 2 is best, with 4 an ok'ish choice.

Given the higher costs of 2, I would argue strongly for phasing, and going only to Courtice.

This would still be much more convenient for passengers arriving from further east, provide downtown Oshawa w/a station nearby, and allows easy future expansion to Bomaville, while keeping the bills under control.

Picture from the Metrolinx material of the routes.