News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

100% battery electric version of the GO double deckers someday?

It is the same manufacturer as our double deckers!

Same company demoed a 1,100 mile range (far more than needed for all day bus service) on a single charge with a different bus.

Maybe after Ford?

4829645D-ABE9-4293-9A8F-35CBF4463A36.jpeg

Attachments

• 4829645D-ABE9-4293-9A8F-35CBF4463A36.jpeg
    4829645D-ABE9-4293-9A8F-35CBF4463A36.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 438
I mentioned a few posts back the conflict of the GO Transit Bylaw with the UPX Bylaw on dogs on leash, and how this discussion had come up with a Provincial Offences Officer on a GO train, and he was very understanding of the need for GO to honour the UPX regs when riding through onto GO with a dog on leash (two by UPX regs). He encouraged me to bring it to the attention of management, as he knew that if he wrote a ticket, given what I could present, it would be tossed from court.

Well:
GO Transit is going to the dogs sometimes … provided the hounds are on leashes
By CLARE RAYMENTStaff Reporter
Thu., July 12, 2018

Dog owners everywhere can travel easy knowing that dogs on leashes are now allowed on GO Trains.

Up until now, all animals travelling on GO Transit had to be in enclosed carriers, including dogs, no matter their size.
This made travelling via GO Transit inconvenient for some, as they weren’t able to carry their large dogs in carriers.

This was something that GO Train passenger Kimberly Fleming took to heart, because she wasn’t able to get her miniature Australian Shepherd, Tess, on the train. So she decided to do something about it.

In August 2017, Fleming started an online petition to ask GO Transit to review its pet policy.

The petition was a huge success, getting 25,485 supporters of its goal for 30,000 people in just two weeks.

“This is for all the people that use public transit as a means of transportation instead of a car, or they want to leave their car at home, and now it’s all linked seamlessly,” Fleming said, referring to the fact that the GO Transit policy now falls more in line with TTC and other transit policies in Toronto and the GTA.

Metrolinx spokesperson, Anne Marie Aikins, said in an email to the Star that an extensive review of the pet policy was done after the petition came out, and they compared theirs to other transit agency pet policies (locally and internationally) as well.

Following their research, they have made changes to their policy, allowing dogs on leashes to ride, with some specifications, of course.

The pilot project will run from July 20 to October 15, with plans for it to continue if it runs with no incidents, Aikins said.

Travellers will be allowed a maximum of two leashed dogs on weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. and from 6:30 p.m. until the end of service. They are allowed on all day on weekends and holidays.

“During rush hour when GO & UP are very busy, the policy remains unchanged: we welcome your dog on board, but they must be in a pet carrier that can fit on your lap or under your seat,” Aikins said in the email.

Some other rules include:
  • You and your leashed dog must use the lower level of trains.
  • In the case of accidents, please pick up after your dog, but do not dispose of their waste in train garbage cans (it may really stink up the train if left for too long).
  • Be considerate to others and keep your dog off the seats.
  • Keep your dog with you at all times for his safety and the safety of others.
  • Give those with accessibility needs priority when bringing your dog onto the accessible coach.
  • All other ‘pets’ — that includes birds, rodents or reptiles —must be in a secure carrier at all times while on board.
Aikins said that there will be no changes to the service animal policy, and these animals are welcome with proper identification as usual.

Fleming said she is extremely happy with this policy change, and that she’s grateful to Aikins and Metrolinx for their eagerness and support for this matter.

“I really want to give [Metrolinx] credit for taking an issue that really was important to so many people in the GTA and actually doing something about it. I think that’s fantastic,” Fleming said.

Aikins said that Metrolinx will be monitoring and collecting feedback from customers during the trial run, and will be letting the public know later this summer if any permanent changes will be made to the pet policy.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...imes-providing-the-hounds-are-on-leashes.html

There's a fair bit more to this story than the GO Transit PR. Look for a lot more regs to be *officially* merged across the divisions of Metrolinx. And that includes the right to transfer at regular GO fares through Pearson Airport from connecting buses and vice-versa.

And then look for GO Transit PR stating (in-as-much-as): "We always meant to do that, we did it to be nice, and do you a favour".

Last edited:
Don't know how direct the comparison to GO transit is, but this no-parking premise for a suburban REM station is interesting.

The new GO/ST stations in the inner parts of Toronto won't have parking, but Kirkland is further out from central Montreal - definitely in car-dependency territory.

- Paul
Isn’t REM more like our planned LRT routes than it is our GO routes? Is there parking planned for (m)any stations on, say, the HuLRT?

how would you do that - given the poor frequencies? getting off at each station would be a pain, making it literally impossible to do many of those routes. You would have to wait at least 30 minutes each time for the next train. Unless you are planning on driving?

how would you do that - given the poor frequencies? getting off at each station would be a pain, making it literally impossible to do many of those routes. You would have to wait at least 30 minutes each time for the next train. Unless you are planning on driving?

I tend to agree....just doing the LSW would take a huge chunk of the day.....if you left Union at 6:13 on the first WB train of the day.....and stopped at every other stop...got out for a short while and caught the next train...repeat that until you get to Aldershot then work your way back east in the same fashion....it is after 1 pm before you can now turn your attention to any other line.

upload_2018-7-16_16-32-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-16_16-32-39.png
    upload_2018-7-16_16-32-39.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 421
So as some may know a while back I visited every TTC station in the span of a few hours, next up planning to visit every GO/Mlinx Station on the AD2W Network in one day i.e.

LSW -> Aldershot
LSE -> Oshawa
STO -> Unionville
BAR -> Aurora
UPX -> Pearson

If anyone is interested in participating/helping to plan send me a message.

Set up a GoFundMe to help with the fares ;)

unless you zig-zagged.. i.e up two stations, back one, up three, back one. might save some waiting.. By doing that you could get Lakeshore west done by 11:46. Both East & West and back at Union by 4:22.

Union > Mimico
Mimico > Exhibition
Exhibition > Port Credit
Port Credit > Long Branch
Long Branch > Oakville
Oakville > Clarkson
Clarkson > Appleby
Appleby > Bronte
Bronte > Aldershot
Aldershot > Burlington
Burlington > Union.

The only 30 minute wait would be at Burlington this way.. But some of those stops are maybe 3 minutes long.. you would only have time to run to the other platform more or less.

I don't want to know the fare cost of this. Though I guess you could buy a two way ticket which gives unlimited travel between Aldershot and Union, at least from what a fare inspector would be able to tell.

The most you could maybe do is Souffville (ride the morning rush hour trains progressively southbound), then the two lakeshore lines, then the UPx. I don't think you would be able to do Barrie.

Last edited:
unless you zig-zagged.. i.e up two stations, back one, up three, back one. might save some waiting.. By doing that you could get Lakeshore west done by 11:46. Both East & West and back at Union by 4:22.

Union > Mimico
Mimico > Exhibition
Exhibition > Port Credit
Port Credit > Long Branch
Long Branch > Oakville
Oakville > Clarkson
Clarkson > Appleby
Appleby > Bronte
Bronte > Aldershot
Aldershot > Burlington
Burlington > Union.

The only 30 minute wait would be at Burlington this way.. But some of those stops are maybe 3 minutes long.. you would only have time to run to the other platform more or less.

I don't want to know the fare cost of this. Though I guess you could buy a two way ticket which gives unlimited travel between Aldershot and Union, at least from what a fare inspector would be able to tell.
It's an interesting question, as if he is able to do it within a three hour time frame, or two of them (total six hours), by the algorithms GO charges by, his fare would be calculated from between the first tap-on and last tap-off within that three hour frame. Add to that that if he stays completely on trains, technically he doesn't have to tap on and off as he changes trains. In fact, in some cases where the system glitches, GO Customer Service recommend not to tap between train changes (there were issues with the UPX Union GO Presto machine with this) and so various options present themselves.

This is a bit like what Geoff Marshall of Londonist fame likes to do with his fare method and sequence calculations. See his vids on Youtube.

Back