News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

How full are West Harbour trips at present when they depart the terminus? If the answer is: not very, shouldn’t GO contingency have emphasized getting people there (shuttle from Hamilton GO to West Harbour) as much as to Aldershot? Or is the assumption that Hamiltonians would just make their own way?

I would have thought GO Transit would have sent the four trainsets normally stored in Hamilton to Willowbrook - so they could run from Aldershot, at least. That would be up to four express trains in each direction off the Lakeshore West Corridor.

That's exactly what the plans were, should the strike had gone ahead as planned. Those trainsets would have been needed one way or the other.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How would service serve Bloomington GO when it opens next year? Since the Richmond Hill Layover/Yard is south of Bloomington at Bethesda, would trains go north to that station, pick up riders, then go back south, then after it passes the yard, the next train goes north, rinse and repeat? Then the opposite in the afternoon peak? Also, would the yard need to be expanded if 15-20 min peak service were to happen?

As I said in the Bypass thread: In closed session at the upcoming Metrolinx Board meeting, there is an agenda item for "freight operators". Because it's in closed session there's no report (and not clear if it's just a discussion or the agenda item has a report.) I'm going to cross-post this to the GO Service thread.

Barrie Train‏@GOtransitBR
The Union Station 09:40 - Aurora GO 10:31 #GOtrain is 13 minutes late south of Downsview Park after waiting for a freight train to clear.

How would service serve Bloomington GO when it opens next year? Since the Richmond Hill Layover/Yard is south of Bloomington at Bethesda, would trains go north to that station, pick up riders, then go back south, then after it passes the yard, the next train goes north, rinse and repeat? Then the opposite in the afternoon peak? Also, would the yard need to be expanded if 15-20 min peak service were to happen?

The yard exits to the north, so the trains already have to do that to a smaller degree today. But yes, upon the opening of Bloomington GO the trains will have to travel northbound to service the station and begin their revenue trips and then pass southbound, with trains repeating the process in the afternoon.

The yard is currently built with 6 tracks, although only 5 are needed for service now. It is designed to be expanded with a couple more tracks in the future - I think that they have enough property to build up to 10 tracks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

IMG_1470.JPG

Wifi test train on the Lakeshore East Line today. Car 241.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 515
What are the www.speedtest.net and www.fast.com numbers?

I am not sure if Netflix is allowed, so if it is blocked, www.fast.com would then not work. However, www.speedtest.net should work.

They vary a lot in different sections of GO routes for LTE reception, especially on a crowded GO train that simultaneously overloads a celltower as the train zooms by.

What are the www.speedtest.net and www.fast.com numbers?

I am not sure if Netflix is allowed, so if it is blocked, www.fast.com would then not work. However, www.speedtest.net should work.

They vary a lot in different sections of GO routes for LTE reception, especially on a crowded GO train that simultaneously overloads a celltower as the train zooms by.

Honestly I hope Netflix is blocked, or highly provisioned with WISH and QoS. It just kills networks like these.

I imagine it is like VIA's system which disables video streaming IIRC. So no youtube, netflix, etc.

No provisions preventing some good old UT browsing though ;)

Some would argue that allowing video streaming on a 5-10 hour train that costs $150-200 is much more necessary as a low-hanging comfort measure, and just plain up to par with competing services, whereas a 30-60 minute ride does not need video streaming. Via's wifi is terrible...it's very hard for me to defend it

Does it work with any Presto Card? Such that you don’t need to have tapped the card when boarding?
That they are asking for the Presto and email address is interesting. After all, if the product is free, your info is the revenue stream...

Icomera also demand registration on Irish Rail by the look of this page:
http://irishrail.on.icomera.com/form.html?email=

Article from today.

NIAGARA REGIONAL REPS DISCUSS GO TRAINS WITH POLICY STAFF FROM FORD'S OFFICE
11:18 AM

Niagara's Regional Chair says staff from Doug Ford's office maintain the Ontario PC leader is fully committed to bringing Go Transit to Niagara if he is elected in June.

When Ford made a visit to Niagara a few weeks ago, he made waves when he said he would need to 'review' the plan.

Chair Alan Caslin says Niagara Region representatives met with senior policy staff from Ford's office yesterday and walked them through the Niagara Go Business case.

In a release, Caslin says following the discussion Ford's representatives confirmed he his fully committed to bringing Go Transit to Niagara.

Back