News   Jul 16, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 824     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 958     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Interesting!

This will turn Lakeshore East into an eastern spurred analog of the Hamilton Downtown GO versus West Harbour GO. So all-day trains to Oshawa, with some peak-directions trains heading down the Bowmanville spur (skipping old Oshawa station) -- like it's already done out in the West?

It's good to see CP and Metrolinx negotiation starting to have fruits on corridor sharing agreements. Around GTHA, I've seen very few Metrolinx projects that involve new GO-funded tracks along CP lines. Down the road, this will need to translate to a solution to the Milton Question.

Here's the news release:

Ontario Expanding GO Rail Service in Durham Region
June 20, 2016

Extension From Oshawa to Bowmanville Will Create Jobs and Drive Economic Growth
Ontario is extending GO Transit's Lakeshore East rail corridor to offer new GO train service from Oshawa to Bowmanville. Extending the GO train network by nearly 20 kilometres and building four new stations will give people in Durham more transit options and help drive economic growth and job creation.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was in Bowmanville today to make the announcement. Through Metrolinx, the province's regional transportation authority for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), Ontario is working with CP Rail on infrastructure and service planning for the extension, a portion of which will use CP Rail's existing corridor north of Highway 401.

Expanded rail service will provide Durham Region with more direct connections to the larger GO transit network, helping to reduce congestion in the GTHA and connecting people to jobs. This will also help minimize greenhouse gas pollution by reducing car trips and improve travel times.

Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years. This is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, the province announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.

Investing in priority transit infrastructure is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.

QUICK FACTS
  • Currently, GO trains on the Lakeshore East corridor go as far as Oshawa, and GO provides bus service between Oshawa and Bowmanville every 30 minutes, with increased frequency at peak hours.
  • Since 2013, Metrolinx has added 171 new weekly GO train trips and 167 new weekly GO bus trips for residents in Durham Region.
  • The new GO rail service is expected to begin by 2023-24.
  • The four new stations will be at Thornton Road in Oshawa, Ritson Road in Oshawa, Courtice Road in Courtice and Martin Road in Bowmanville.
  • Metrolinx is transforming the GO rail network to provide faster and more frequent GO train service across the region, with electrification of core segments of the network. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network are expected to grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 over 10 years.
  • Ontario is investing $31.5 billion over 10 years in transit, roads, bridges and highways, including about $16 billion for rapid transit in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

Here's the news release:

Interesting!

This will turn Lakeshore East into an eastern spurred analog of the Hamilton Downtown GO versus West Harbour GO. So all-day trains to Oshawa, with some peak-directions trains heading down the Bowmanville spur (skipping old Oshawa station) -- like it's already done out in the West?

Here's a photo from the news release. We were speculating as to whether they would keep the current Oshawa GO in operation. I guess this is confirmation?

rg5oZcL.png

The EA planning scenario is full base service only to Ritson Road, and peak service only the rest of the way to Bowmanville. I wonder what the 2024 target is, in light of RER and electrification.

That will make a big difference as to how literally to take the track diagram in the EA. Full 15 minute service to Bowmanville would tie up both main tracks. Of course, CP's traffic is down to about 10 trains per 24 hours, so there may be lots of spare capacity even with full service east of Ritson.

- Paul

Interesting!

It's good to see CP and Metrolinx negotiation starting to have fruits on corridor sharing agreements. Around GTHA, I've seen very few Metrolinx projects that involve new GO-funded tracks along CP lines. Down the road, this will need to translate to a solution to the Milton Question.

Good point re CP. Maybe an interim step in the Milton Question is getting more use out of (or extending) some of the track Drum has mentioned GO paid for but can't use right now.

Did that City of Oshawa document come after the EA? Also, I believe Metrolinx just bought the existing Oshawa GO Station and the info graphic today doesn't show the existing Oshawa station being eliminated so I assume like mdrejhon said they would keep it and have a similar set up to Hamilton where some trains service different stations.

From the City of Oshawa website, it wouldn't make sense to keep both.

GO_locationMap.jpg

Will this extension be electrified?

Great question. I didn't see anything in the announcement about that. I guess someone could ask Metrolinx. Is it safe to assume it would be since building new electrified track is cheaper than upgrading existing track? I wonder if the agreement with CP allows for it.

Did that City of Oshawa document come after the EA? Also, I believe Metrolinx just bought the existing Oshawa GO Station and the info graphic today doesn't show the existing Oshawa station being eliminated so I assume like mdrejhon said they would keep it and have a similar set up to Hamilton where some trains service different stations.

I agree having the existing Oshawa GO and the Thornton's Corners stations doesn't make sense. While it is an interesting comparison to Hamilton, here are come characteristics:
  • Hamilton:
    • Population: 519,949
    • Station distance: 1.5 km
    • Locations: city centre/waterfront
    • Current land uses: low to high density residential, commercial
  • Oshawa:
    • Population: 149,607
    • Station distance: 1.0 km
    • Locations: city edge/highway adjacent
    • Current land uses: agricultural, industrial, commercial, low density residential
If the geography was there to justify it (like Hamilton), I wouldn't be so concerned. But I am based on this.

Considering CP runs double stacks on the line, I suspect it may be diesel east of Ritson Road. That jives with the original proposal being peak-only to Bowmanville.

- Paul

Great question. I didn't see anything in the announcement about that. I guess someone could ask Metrolinx. Is it safe to assume it would be since building new electrified track is cheaper than upgrading existing track? I wonder if the agreement with CP allows for it.

I expect this section will be either 30 minute, hourly, or even rush-only diesel service with running express between Oshawa and Union. The current Oshawa station will terminate 15 minute electrified RER service. The mix of high-frequency core service and low-frequency/rush-only express tail service seems to be a common goal for GO on most lines.

The only mention of electrification is for "core" sections of the network. They mention greenhouse gas reduction due to vehicles removed from roads; not from electrification.

Last edited:
The RER BCA Appendix A.8.2 lists two "Options for Further Study":

• All day from Bowmanville, one train per hour D1BL8.

• Electrification to Bowmanville, express from Oshawa (service TBD).

- Paul

Reactions: rbt
I expect this section will be either 30 minute, hourly, or even rush-only diesel service with running express between Oshawa and Union. The current Oshawa station will terminate 15 minute electrified RER service. The mix of high-frequency core service and low-frequency/rush-only express tail service seems to be a common goal for GO on most lines.

The only mention of electrification is for "core" sections of the network. They mention greenhouse gas reduction due to vehicles removed from roads; not from electrification.
Yeah....here's the CP newswire release on this:
GO Train service to Bowmanville by 2024

BOWMANVILLE, Ont. — GO Transit will extend its Lakeshore East train line by 20 kilometres from Oshawa to Bowmanville, with service scheduled to start in 2024.

The plan is to have four GO trains each morning and four each afternoon in and out of Bowmanville when the service starts in eight years.

Premier Kathleen Wynne announced the huge construction project at the site of the new Bowmanville GO train station, one of four stations that will be built on the extended line.

Wynne did not say how much the project will cost.

The new GO stations will be built at Thornton Road in Oshawa, Ritson Road in Oshawa, Courtice Road in Courtice and Martin Road in Bowmanville.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca says one of the biggest components of the GO expansion will be construction of a new train bridge over Highway 401 in Durham Region.

By The Canadian Press
http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story/6731462-go-train-service-to-bowmanville-by-2024/

For the reasons Paul states, I suspect this is sharing the single track, which flies in the face of the need expressed by many in the area that 'all-day service' is needed to bring industry and commerce back to the area. Ostensibly that could occur later, the RoW certainly has space for another track.

Edit to Add: A telling sign for the future of present Oshawa station will be if the bridge over 401 is single or double tracked.

Last edited:

Back