News   Jul 17, 2024
 119     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 722     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 617     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Well assuming the Blue Jays win the division and do not have to play in the wild card game on Oct 6, there's one conflict removed. The next Argos games are Oct. 17,23, and 30. The 17th and 23rd are games 2 and 6 of the ALCS, and since IIRC, MLB plays a 2-3-2 playoff format only one of those dates would conflict with the Argos. Finally Oct 30 is scheduled to be played in the NL ballpark.

So out of 4 dates really there would be only 1 or 2 conflicts. (Unless MLB wants exclusive control of the stadium during the playoffs... I wonder how this was handled in 92/93...)

I know the Argos are not big on marketing.....but would you really want to wait until October 4th (last day of regular season in baseball) to tell your fans where to go on October 6th?

It also would not surprise me at all if MLB had "blackout" dates at stadiums around game dates to allow for on the spot re-scheduling caused by fall weather....not an issue in Toronto specifically but game dates may be affected by rain outs in the other city and there just may be a blanket "rule" around all of this stuff.

Are 14-16 car trains being plan for the Milton Line once 647 returns as well the new 10 due in 2016???

647 has been rebuilt to tier 4 standards as well been modify and is longer. It is now rated at 5,400 HP that will handle 16 car trains as well considering the current ones can do 14. With this HP, the new locos could be assign to the Milton Line since it lacks running rights for more trains without 4 tracking the corridor that is on the back burners these days.

If GO started to run 14-16 cars on the Milton Line, getting out of parking lots is going to be a lot longer, let alone at Union. Then the stations will have to be lengthen to handle the longer trains. Its the only way getting more seats on the line.

Time to bit the bullet for going to 4 tracks on the Milton Line since the day dream 407 route is well down the road and may never built.

More info can be found here
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=543753&nseq=154

Holy cow. That thing is huge! I'm surprised they aren't distributing the power over more axles.

But I wouldn't count out a freight bypass, Metrolinx may well be playing a strategy to minimize capital expenditures until it becomes a reality.

12-car consists are ((25.9m * 12) + 20.7 m) = ~332m long. With a longer MP-40 and 4 additional bi-levels, you're looking at about 110 extra metres of length. Quickly glancing at Milton line stations, it looks pretty feasible. Streetsville looks like the most trouble.

I know the Argos are not big on marketing.....but would you really want to wait until October 4th (last day of regular season in baseball) to tell your fans where to go on October 6th?

It also would not surprise me at all if MLB had "blackout" dates at stadiums around game dates to allow for on the spot re-scheduling caused by fall weather....not an issue in Toronto specifically but game dates may be affected by rain outs in the other city and there just may be a blanket "rule" around all of this stuff.
Allow me to be a Blue Jay fan for a moment.... The Blue Jays magic number for clinching the AL East is 17, so by Sept 23 they could know that they will not have to play in the Wild card game.

I thought about the possible black out of all post season dates.

Back to your regularly scheduled Go Transit discussion

I traveled to West Harbour on the train last night. There were more people arriving on the train than in the past. I estimated about 40-50 traveled all the way there.

Two unrelated passengers who both had intended to go to the Hamilton GO Centre were quite confused and didn't know what to do. That the station basically is closed when the train arrives makes it worse: the doors are locked for exit only, and there is no attendant on duty. I explained to them where they were, but I don't think it helped them much. I hope they figured a way out.

Allow me to be a Blue Jay fan for a moment.... The Blue Jays magic number for clinching the AL East is 17, so by Sept 23 they could know that they will not have to play in the Wild card game.

Sure it could happen by then....but I guess the question is how long do you wait if you are the Argos...and, on topic, if the plan was to use GO Transit to move thousands of Argo fans to Hamilton, how much lead time does GO need to review/plan/implement that service.

Sadly, another fatality tonight...this time on the KW line as the 5:50 from Union passed through Brampton, around John Street (I think).

Sure it could happen by then....but I guess the question is how long do you wait if you are the Argos...and, on topic, if the plan was to use GO Transit to move thousands of Argo fans to Hamilton, how much lead time does GO need to review/plan/implement that service.
We now know how long they would wait....today seems to be it....as for getting Argo fans there by GO Train....which line goes to Ottawa anyway?

upload_2015-9-16_17-44-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-16_17-44-13.png
    upload_2015-9-16_17-44-13.png
    655 KB · Views: 561
Bah. They passed over Hamilton? Or did we have a stadium conflict...

Ticketmaster only shows TiCats games on the 2nd and 9th.......nothing on the 6th....my bet is they figured that ticket sales would only happen if one of the teams was local to the stadium so they just moved the Argos home game against Ottawa to Ottawa.

Would a simple unsheltered Exhibition-style Gage GO platform (3 blocks from the new Hamiltonn Stadium) have helped tip the scales? The city owns land next to the railroad.

gagego-png.54964

The current stations are not that far from the stadium....how many stadiums does Hamilton need in such close proximity?

The current stations are not that far from the stadium....how many stadiums does Hamilton need in such close proximity?
Obvious.

Neither are within walking distance. Gage GO would be only 3 blocks away from the stadium.

I'm talking about a simple platform -- a sub-$1M station (shelterless, overpassless, underpassless, garageless, unmanned, pedestrian only, kiosks only) that serves only events, within 5min walking distance of the stadium.

There is already a city-built parking lot there, that was used for PanAm. Some of it is going to become a soccer field.

A basic unsheltered asphalt platform, that is open only during events. TiCats, Argonauts, Grey Cup, Gage World Music Festival, etc. Considering one of our city councilors just today raised a motion to host a Grey Cup game.

Due to its events-only nature, we don't even need platforms on both sides of the railroad. Just the south side. A bidirectional siding (or spur) would access the platform. So, only one platform. This could, in theory, be cheap enough, to be funded locally.

Also, are you aware that West Harbour GO and Gage GO (3.5km) are further apart than Union and Exhibition GO (3.2km) ??!?

In fact, Exhibition GO used to be an events-only station. It would be Hamilton's equivalent.

Same thing.

Last edited:
Additionally...

I must also hereby point out that station spacing between West Harbour GO and Stoney Creek GO (9.2km) almost double the distance between an average pair of Lakeshore West stations (varies between 3 - 7km).

This further strengthens the case for a basic unsheltered events-only Gage GO platform, here.

Last edited:
Ticketmaster only shows TiCats games on the 2nd and 9th.......nothing on the 6th....my bet is they figured that ticket sales would only happen if one of the teams was local to the stadium so they just moved the Argos home game against Ottawa to Ottawa.
Only 17,000 or so bothered to go to downtown Toronto for the last Argos game - against the Tiger Cats - I bet many were away fans. Ottawa's been drawing 24,000 at home. Clearly that's where the $ is - and what else matters Braley now that he' already sold the team with the Argos near the back of the standings.

Back