News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 961     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Was this for the fully-sold-out Canada-Brazil soccer game last evening? The other games that didn't involve Canada was much quieter.

How full was the train when it arrived at West Harbour?
The train was pretty empty by West Harbour. I think most people had gone to events at Exhibition and were using the train to get home.

There's now a temporary 5:50pm express (nonstop) train from Union to West Harbor. The train makes no stops before West Harbor GO.

Supposedly, it arrives at 7:00pm but I'd love anecdotes if it sticks to schedule or races ahead of schedule -- given there's little incentive for the train to slow itself down because of lack of intermediate stops, and the benefit of having a safety margin due to making sure people arrive at the soccer game ahead of time.

I will catch that train sometimes to get home, so it shall be very interesting to see how well this particular train is used, during the minor games, versus during the quarterfinals/semifinals.

Was this for the fully-sold-out Canada-Brazil soccer game last evening? The other games that didn't involve Canada was much quieter.

How full was the train when it arrived at West Harbour?

Aren't tickets for soccer at the Pan Ams sold (as they were for the Women's World Cup) for double headers? So that Panama match v Peru was technically sold out ...just that not everyone arrived until the Canada match against Brazil.

Aren't tickets for soccer at the Pan Ams sold (as they were for the Women's World Cup) for double headers? So that Panama match v Peru was technically sold out ...just that not everyone arrived until the Canada match against Brazil.
Oh right, that's true. Good point.

Did anyone catch a later train? I was wondering how busy the train immediately before the Canada-Brazil game was.

The "inconvenience" is that express GO trains that previously bypassed Danforth Station during rush hour are now stopping there in order to accomodate riders riding these passes, adding several minutes to the commute.
There's not one word in the report whether on what the usage of that stop is. I've certainly seen people boarding those trains. The report that canarob replied to was about purchase of integrated fare - not about ridership.

The train was pretty empty by West Harbour. I think most people had gone to events at Exhibition and were using the train to get home.
A lot of people got on at the Ex. But I was surprised at how many people were getting off at West Harbour. 50 to 60 maybe? Perhaps more.

I will catch that train sometimes to get home, so it shall be very interesting to see how well this particular train is used, during the minor games, versus during the quarterfinals/semifinals.
I think it's going to be quite empty. The one I took on Sunday was carrying more people to/from Ex ... though I was sitting at the west end, where all the Ex traffic running for the train end up.

I'm on one of the weekend trains to West Harbour right now. There were a few hundred people on the platform at exhibition. Looks like lots of people are using transit to get to Pan Am events.
Took the train home from Exhibition last night. Thousands of people on the platform waiting for a train, but for some reason GO was running 10-car trains instead of 12-car trains. It was packed like the Yonge Subway during rush hour.

Took the train home from Exhibition last night. Thousands of people on the platform waiting for a train, but for some reason GO was running 10-car trains instead of 12-car trains. It was packed like the Yonge Subway during rush hour.
The back car was packed like that or the whole train?

Because what seems to happen, is a lot of people (heading east) stand at Exhibition west of Car 12, and all have to push onto car 12 ... so when it's a 10-car train, there's a huge number of people getting on at one end, but few at the front end.

There's not one word in the report whether on what the usage of that stop is. I've certainly seen people boarding those trains. The report that canarob replied to was about purchase of integrated fare - not about ridership.

Sorry, I should have quoted this specifically:

In the five months between the pilot project’s launch Feb. 1 and the end of June, only 338 commuters bought the special Metropass stickers giving them GO privileges. Of those, 134 were sold in the first month of the fare integration experiment.

The Stouffville line already connects to Line 2 at Kennedy and when they started this pilot they added a few extra minutes to the total trip. I really think the focus should be on making trips faster given that most riders are heading to Steeles and points north.

seems the first westbound train after every TFC match is a 10 car train also.

Have contacted GO/ML about this and they give me the stock answer about how it is the luck of the draw, there are 10 and 12 car trains in operation and it really depends on the time of day and use elsewhere what size train you get.

I find the answer totally unacceptable. Most TFC matches are Saturdays when only the Lakeshore lines are running trains......and the games (be they Jays or TFC) are the biggest use drivers of the day......if it is beyond them to look at their scheduled and say "let's make sure that the 19:20 westbound is a 12 car train.....and work back from there"....if that is not possible for them then I have doubts that they have the right people scheduling the trains for the day.

I agree. The first westbound after ever TFC match is a complete cluster-fuck.

They have also yet to modify the construction signage at all, despite that fact that once the platform is crowded by the entrance, it is impossible to see the signage that tells you to move eastwards.

Sorry, I should have quoted this specifically:

The Stouffville line already connects to Line 2 at Kennedy and when they started this pilot they added a few extra minutes to the total trip. I really think the focus should be on making trips faster given that most riders are heading to Steeles and points north.
That only indicates how many riders are buying the new pass. Clearly most Danforth riders are not buying the pass. There's no indication one way or another what the ridership change at Danforth has been because of the service improvement there; and that's the test for whether Stouffville trains should stop there, not pass sales.

The one time I tried to jump on a Stouffville train into Union at Danforth, I just missed the train (the doors were closed when I ran onto the platform). But I was surprised as there were clearly people who had got off this train at Danforth (rather than Kennedy or Union). Not sure what purpose - to connect to Oshawa trains?

I've also noticed more people than I'd have suspected getting off trains from Oshawa at Danforth in PM rush - I haven't observed where they go though (subway, walk away, trains to Stouffville ...).

seems the first westbound train after every TFC match is a 10 car train also.

Have contacted GO/ML about this and they give me the stock answer about how it is the luck of the draw, there are 10 and 12 car trains in operation and it really depends on the time of day and use elsewhere what size train you get.

I find the answer totally unacceptable. Most TFC matches are Saturdays when only the Lakeshore lines are running trains......and the games (be they Jays or TFC) are the biggest use drivers of the day......if it is beyond them to look at their scheduled and say "let's make sure that the 19:20 westbound is a 12 car train.....and work back from there"....if that is not possible for them then I have doubts that they have the right people scheduling the trains for the day.

And what if there are other trains that warrant a 12-car train, and moving it around takes that trainset away from them?

It's not a zero-sum game. They schedule the trains the way they do for a reason.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And what if there are other trains that warrant a 12-car train, and moving it around takes that trainset away from them?

It's not a zero-sum game. They schedule the trains the way they do for a reason.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Lake shore west, Lake shore east, and Barrie are the only lines that run on weekends. There should be more than enough 12-car trains. I get that it's hard to plan service for the end of a Jays game (because the end time is uncertain). With a TFC game or event at the CNE, it should be more predictable to plan for the spike in demand.

But how many of those 12-car trains are available at Willowbrook for the weekend? Aren't quite a few of them parked at the Hamilton yard, plus some at Milton or Kitchener and Whitby? I don't know how many trains are stored at the ends of the lines on weekends, but I suspect that not a large number return to Willowbrook at the end of Friday's service, which is where the weekend service is generally crewed from I believe.

But how many of those 12-car trains are available at Willowbrook for the weekend? Aren't quite a few of them parked at the Hamilton yard, plus some at Milton or Kitchener and Whitby? I don't know how many trains are stored at the ends of the lines on weekends, but I suspect that not a large number return to Willowbrook at the end of Friday's service, which is where the weekend service is generally crewed from I believe.
why would any of them be parked in Kitchener? the Kitchener line is all 10 car trains.

Back