News   Apr 23, 2024
 154     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 652     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

... High Speed Rail compatible (concrete ties, tighter catenary tolerances)...

Just to nip this one in the bud...

In Canada, the only restrictions from operating at higher than 100mph are cab signalling and full protection for the ROW from automobile intrusion (i.e. no grade crossings). There is nothing that indicate how the track is constructed (other than to still-higher tolerances) which prevents it from running at higher speeds.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just to nip this one in the bud...

In Canada, the only restrictions from operating at higher than 100mph are cab signalling and full protection for the ROW from automobile intrusion (i.e. no grade crossings). There is nothing that indicate how the track is constructed (other than to still-higher tolerances) which prevents it from running at higher speeds.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The threshold is 110 mph (177 km/h) for grade separation. I think that cab signaling is quite affordable compared to bridges and tunnels, so the latter would be the main cost constraint.

So....anyone know if there was any mention about timing and amount of service changes on the KW line after the GTS is complete in the spring?.....I know there has been speculation about a September start date but nothing "official"...was wondering if anyone on the board thought to ask "what are we doing once we have spent the last of that $1.3B we authorized?"

Today I made a comparison table for the frequency of Canadian commuter rail lines as of January 2015.

(Link to Google Spreadsheet)

A few things that surprised me:

- Many AMT lines have some minimal off-peak and counter-peak service. It seems a bit odd to me, I don't see much point in operating urban/suburban services at anything less than 1 train per hour. Regional/Intercity services are a different question of course - I'd like to see the 4 trains-per-day summer weekend services to Barrie and Niagara upgraded to year-round.

- The most frequent service in Canada is obviously the GO Lakeshore West line as measured by total trains. But since many are express or short-turn services, the line with the highest effective frequency is actually the GO Milton line, with full length all-stops trains almost every 10 minutes in the AM Peak.

- I've always thought of the AMT Deux-Montagnes line as a proper AD2W service, but it turns out I was massively overestimating it. Weekday service is sporadic with gaps as long as 75 minutes, and weekend service is pathetic with only 11 trains on Saturdays and 6 trains on Sundays. I blame single-level EMUs for distorting my perception of the service.

- The West Coast Express is a joke, falling behind even the most primitive services elsewhere in Canada. It is, however, the only service with an on-board café.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Milton line, a couple times on weekends I've seen GO trains around Erindale. I think the last time was last weekend, and maybe a month or two before that. I cannot say if the train was actually in service or not since I was driving. But is there any reason an out-of-service GO train would be running on the Milton line during a weekend?

Excellent table. It would be interesting to compare American commuter rail as well. I wonder how well Toronto compares to Boston and Chicago for example.

Thanks! I'm a sucker for statistics like this.

I actually have a spreadsheet from last year doing that. I'll upload it sometime this week.

Speaking of the Milton line, a couple times on weekends I've seen GO trains around Erindale. I think the last time was last weekend, and maybe a month or two before that. I cannot say if the train was actually in service or not since I was driving. But is there any reason an out-of-service GO train would be running on the Milton line during a weekend?

There must be a reason, because there's no weekend service on the Milton line. Similarly, I see a westbound GO train fly through Danforth Station every weeknight at 23:53 even though there's no express service at that time.

Last edited:
Mostly New Crew Training and some changing of equipment since CP didn't renew their contract to operate the trains on their line.

image.jpg

Hamilton James North GO station, photo taken less than an hour ago, December 20th, 2014. GO track laying hasn't arrived yet at the station. There probably seems to only be one pedestrian overpass to the northern platform at PanAm opening. Wonder which direction, incoming/outgoing to Union, gets the "convenient" platform, and which one requires the overpass. Fortunately, we'll have an elevator (but not sure if that one is by PanAm?).

May also drive to the Centennial Parkway overpass within the next few weeks to see how much work has been done at the mess neat Walmart towards Confederation GO station (Hamilton's eastern GO station that would probably open by 2017 due to the low lying apple factor and lewis yard) That new overpass being built has room for a platform built in, and they now own the land for the new station, bus and parking. Would be a rounding error in Metrolinx annual budget, for remainder work, once they have to park trains at Lewis anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 836
Last edited:
Ah, that's some interesting news! I don't recall reading that here before.
So it'll be going to Bombardier crews then? Whew, gotta keep up that hiring.

It was mentioned a while back but I don't blame you for not noticing it since many of the threads here have become more rife with speculation and off-topic discussions. Not that I mind it that much, I just wish that it could all be properly categorized into separate threads so we don't lose sight of the topic(s) on hand.

Hunter Harrison, CP's CEO, decided a long time ago(when he took over in 2012) that CP wasn't going to be in the passenger train business anymore since it wasn't profitable enough for him and the shareholders. Since then they've dropped not only the Milton contract, but Vancouver's west coast express prior to that and in 2016 they will no longer have Montreal's AMT contract. For more details on that see here; http://cpeast.teamsterscanada.ca/20...ity-cut-costs-improve-timetables-three-lines/

I should add that GO & AMT were both looking for a cheaper and more flexible operator, so their parting from CP was/will be mutual, not sure about the west coast express though. GO has become increasingly frustrated will CP's lackluster quality of service especially in contrast to that provided by Bombardier on all the other lines and they're always looking for contract unification. Just in the last few weeks alone there have been multiple Milton train cancellations.

Operations of the small service that is the west coast express was taken over by Bombardier last year, but the new provider for CP's 3 lines on the AMT has yet to be decided. Train operations for ATM's 3 other lines, including the new one, are provided by CN. Bombardier will of course be in the biding as always.

Bombardier is gaining new contracts like that all the time across the world including in north America. The crews they use for each new service are almost entirely provided by local service(s). The vast majority are usually people who were already running the trains for the previous provider or from other local railroads, though that's not always the case. For GO most(about 55-60% front end crew) of the new people were hired "off the street" meaning no prior experience in the industry. But this was largely because of the vast size of GO's service compared to most other NA commuter services and because CN used punitive measures to prevent more people from leaving when Bombardier took over in 2007. New openings are non the less always advertised in Toronto. There's no need to get too worried though. For instance the total amount of people that transferred over last year to BC's west coast express was zero. Prior to that Bombardier took over Orlando's commuter service and the total transferred was one(afaik). If Bombardier takes over AMT's contract, which is not assured yet, Montreal would obviously result in the largest drain by far. Since not only is it close, but there are many bilingual people in the service currently. But that is something to worry for in 2016.

As for the Milton line, the Bombardier crews have all already been assigned - 8 engineers & 8 conductors(no CSA's). Some of whom have been training for months now hence all the train spotting on the weekend going back into the fall time on the Milton line. While the crewing requirements maybe less(2 per train vs 3), it is offset by the fact that the those trains cannot be operated this way on any other line. At least not without adding a CSA upon arrival at union station, which certainly wouldn't be a normal or regular occurrence. Meaning they won't be using those trains for any other flips after they completed their Milton run unlike many other out post lines where crews will do additional flips on other lines after their initial one. Plus the CSA is the easiest position to fill, they keep on hiring bunches of them all the time. It was simply a cost saving measure.

Last edited:
One thing about the increased service frequency to Milton that ought to get more profile: this line is clearly well used, but it's inherently uneconomic, because every one of the nine (and soon to be ten) trainsets make only a single round trip each day.

With this intensity of service, one would hope that GO could double back two or three trainsets each rush hour for a second run. The problem, obviously, is track capacity: the Milton line is mostly a two track railroad, and the existing one-way GO service ties up one track completely. If GO trains were doubled back, there would be no capacity remaining for freight trains at rush hour. CP is unlikely to find that acceptable.

Consider this, however - a single GO trainset is a capital investment of somewhere around $15M-$20M, plus maintenance costs. If GO could double back three trainsets each morning and afternoon, the ten trips could be operated with three fewer trains. This would free up close to $60M in capital. That money might be better spent adding track capacity instead of just buying trains. The yard in Milton is maxxed out too....if GO has to stick with 10 single-trip trains, perhaps one or two ought to carry on to Cambridge, if for no reason other than to find space to park them overnight.

- Paul

Isn't it only going from 8 to 9 in January? Or is there an additional bump up to 10 trains that I'm not aware of?

Back