News   Jul 12, 2024
 886     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 795     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The CTC system on the Barrie line from mile 20.7 to 30.1 was put in service this weekend and there's a new controlled location at mile 30.1(just north of Aurora station) called "Machell", for those interested.

The CTC system on the Barrie line from mile 20.7 to 30.1 was put in service this weekend and there's a new controlled location at mile 30.1(just north of Aurora station) called "Machell", for those interested.

Good to know. Awsome location name too :). Is the line north of machell still OCS?
I assume that CN RTC desk YB will be dispatching the line now that it is CTC. I believe it used to be desk B when that part of the line was OCS.

Caught the new 8130 in new colours on Wed and looks better on it than the buses, but still a poor design and colours.
12983773143_8f0aa4613e_b.jpg

12983774923_95c658cd8f_b.jpg

Premier Wynne is in Waterloo right now and is apparently announcing all-day two-way service between Waterloo and Toronto as per a CTV news reporter's tweet: @MarcVenemaCTV Premier Wynne about to announce two-way, all-day GO train service between Waterloo Region and Toronto

Just confirmed.

I’m thrilled to announce we’re committing to bringing two-way, all-day GO train service between the Waterloo & Toronto Regions. #WRawesome

-Wynne on Twitter

apparently it will be brought up to 6 peak hour trains by 2016 and presumably when Brampton gets AD2W Waterloo will as well.

Unfortunately it sounds like she's not announcing a time frame. You have to think there's a lot of work on the tracks that need to be done before this is realistic.

Edit: I've been proven wrong, she's said by 2016.

Last edited:
Just confirmed.

apparently it will be brought up to 6 peak hour trains by 2016 and presumably when Brampton gets AD2W Waterloo will as well.

So, if I understand this correctly, this is really a false announcement. She did not announce AD2W service...she announced that Waterloo Region would get an additional 4 peak direction trains in 2016 and at some undetermined point in the future when Brampton gets bi-directional service it will go all the way to Waterloo Region.

As someone who has gotten a bit cyinical over the years and hears these announcements through the ears of a Bramptonian....you could also take this announcement this way "Sorry Brampton, you are not getting your AD2W service until we can also provide it to Waterloo".

It will presumably be with all the other AD2W projects in planning for the big move.. Brampton will be getting AD2W in the coming years regardless. 2016 won't be the AD2W introduction, that will be the date for the new peak trips. AD2W has no official timeline, but provided that this gets passed so will the transit taxes which means AD2W will presumably have funding. (the additional costs will probably be funded by adding KWC to the tax area)

It will presumably be with all the other AD2W projects in planning for the big move.. Brampton will be getting AD2W in the coming years regardless.

The point is, as was discussed in the Georgetown South thread, AD2W service could be introduced to Mt. Pleasant at the end of 2015 without any additional infrastructure cost....just completing the work currently underway.

Beyond Mt. Pleasant there is a fair amount of work to be done. By promising Waterloo Region that they will get AD2W at the same time Brampton does.....the province has just advised Brampton that they can't have it until that additional work is done. Sneaky.

no, it couldn't. we established this, another track would need to be built. Its pretty minor work, but it would be needed to be done, as well as adding double platforms to a lot of the train stations. There will only be 5 tracks constructed under current plans (1 for each GO line and 2 for the UPX), but you would need to add an additional track to introduce AD2W. You can't run AD2W on a singular track. it may be a separate project to bring it to waterloo as well, I was just guessing how they are planning it. they gave no specific date on when it will actually happen, only that they will be adding 2 additional trains by 2016.

Last edited:
no, it couldn't. we established this, another track would need to be built. Its pretty minor work, but it would be needed to be done, as well as adding double platforms to a lot of the train stations.

Maybe we were in a different discussion but the consensus seemed to be that hourly AD2W service is possible at the conclusion fo the current work.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...n-Express-(Metrolinx-U-C)?p=834270#post834270

Which stations between Mt Pleasant and Union don't have two platforms (I can only think of Etobicoke north but that is being rebuilt).

They gave no specific date on when it will actually happen, only that they will be adding 2 additional trains by 2016.

I understand that in her remarks the Premier committed that KW would get AD2W at the same time as Brampton.

True, but the Halton Sub sees more freight trains than the Kingston and Oakville Sub see VIAs.

don't think that is confirmation. Smallspay is saying that The heavy freight traffic may make it unrealistic. (especially given freight trains size and slower speeds)

don't think that is confirmation. Smallspay is saying that The heavy freight traffic may make it unrealistic. (especially given freight trains size and slower speeds)

Being a little selective in your quoting there. That comment was in response to my comparison of the line to the Lakeshore line and is a minor correction to my point.

The key part was ShonTron said:

If GO was serious about it, it would technically require zero additional infrastructure to run all day two way, hourly service to Mount Pleasant (plus current and some additional peak-direction trains) once the work on the Weston Sub is finished. This fact needs to be pushed and pushed hard.

And Smallspy replied

You're absolutely right

Back