News   Jul 17, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 697     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 608     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Wouldn't a wye/switch need to be built at the track intersection at Islington and Steeles? Far as I know there is no way currently to switch tracks there.

York never really says why they choose that preferred route in that document and I really wonder why they would choose that route. Toronto, if they were ever to get involved in GO planning, should certainly raise issue with this routing as it eliminates the opportunity to create a station at Finch (connect to Finch W LRT), and even Wilson/Albion. Which could go some ways to relieving some of the demand on the rest of the TTC system coming from the West.

Wouldn't a wye/switch need to be built at the track intersection at Islington and Steeles? Far as I know there is no way currently to switch tracks there.

York never really says why they choose that preferred route in that document and I really wonder why they would choose that route. Toronto, if they were ever to get involved in GO planning, should certainly raise issue with this routing as it eliminates the opportunity to create a station at Finch (connect to Finch W LRT), and even Wilson/Albion. Which could go some ways to relieving some of the demand on the rest of the TTC system coming from the West.
Yes, a connecting track would need to be built: http://binged.it/T4l41S Looks doable, question is whether you would expand the Islington and 407 single track bridges or build additional structures - could depend on grade differentials between the lines and so on.

Like others have mentioned, it seems to make a lot more sense to run it through the Wilson/Albion area, and then have a connection at Finch West.

Realistically, a Sheppard West Subway (west of Downsview I mean) will never be built, but running this line through there would be a pretty welcome substitute, and in a lot of cases would actually be more useful. Especially if it's a DMU stub that ends at Eglinton-Black Creek (connections to the Brampton-Markham REX and the ECLRT), there can be a few more stops put onto the line.

I'm thinking something like this: Eglinton-Black Creek, Weston, Wilson, Sheppard, Finch, Steeles, Highway 7, terminating at Langstaff. If it's running O-Train style DMUs, the platforms can be relatively small and inexpensive to build. The O-Train Pilot Project was done (vehicles included, plus 5 stops), for $21 million. I would imagine a similar project could be done for about $50 million (longer + more stations).

York never really says why they choose that preferred route in that document and I really wonder why they would choose that route.

Maybe it's to avoid conflicting with all the other services that are planned to eventually use the Georgetown corridor? (ARL, local GO, express GO, VIA) I realize that it's probably going to be a very long time before all the service projected in the Big Move actually happens, but if they were taking the Big Move at its word...

This document from the City of Vaughan seems to confirm that: "The preferred option avoids the majority of capacity constraints on the Weston Subdivision" (page 3). It also says the infrastructure cost was lowest for this option.

This document from the City of Vaughan seems to confirm that: "The preferred option avoids the majority of capacity constraints on the Weston Subdivision" (page 3). It also says the infrastructure cost was lowest for this option.

Which is why it would make perfect sense to make it a spur line that ends at Eglinton-Black Creek :p. But I doubt that option will be seriously explored. It is also dependent on GO REX being implemented on the Brampton-Markham line.

Maybe it's to avoid conflicting with all the other services that are planned to eventually use the Georgetown corridor? (ARL, local GO, express GO, VIA) I realize that it's probably going to be a very long time before all the service projected in the Big Move actually happens, but if they were taking the Big Move at its word...

That would only apply south of West Toronto Diamond though, since a service coming down CP MacTier would be totally separated from the CN/VIA/GO traffic before then. There would be the option of routing those services into a station at Dupont or Summerhill but then that's a whole other can of worms.

(EDIT: hmm... just looking at the intended layout of WTD - not sure where the CP line could connect to the CN to pass through WTD toward Union.)

Last edited:
(EDIT: hmm... just looking at the intended layout of WTD - not sure where the CP line could connect to the CN to pass through WTD toward Union.)

There is a signalled connecting track at Keele (sb Weston to sb Mactier/nb Mactier to nb Weston) which is immediately north of the bridge over St. Clair. There is also an unsignalized connecting track between Lawrence and Denison (nb Weston to nb Mactier/sb Mactier to sb Weston) which could be realigned for better speeds and signalized should the need arise. And of course, there is no reason why they couldn't be moved either.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is a signalled connecting track at Keele (sb Weston to sb Mactier/nb Mactier to nb Weston) which is immediately north of the bridge over St. Clair. There is also an unsignalized connecting track between Lawrence and Denison (nb Weston to nb Mactier/sb Mactier to sb Weston) which could be realigned for better speeds and signalized should the need arise. And of course, there is no reason why they couldn't be moved either.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Hi Dan, thanks as always. I see the tunnel is north of Lawrence so presumably there should be no impacts to that switch in the short term.

The article here says something to the effect that Greyhound has moved it's operations to Industrial Road in Cambridge from Sportsworld although it is currently unknown whether or not Greyhound will continue operations at Industiral Road. It is honestly my hope that Greyhound would decide to move out of it's current Cambridge location and attempt to strike a deal with GO/Smartcentres to operate from the existing GO/Route 200 stop just off the highway instead of making a 10-20 minute detour into Cambridge off the 401.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cambridge bus station eventually moved to the SmartCentres area in time. It makes more sense to put it near the highway than down in Galt.

This is a change like seeing the Kitchener train leaving CNE on Sat
[FONT=&quot]TORONTO, Sept. 7, 2012 /CNW/ - GO Transit is running extra GO Train service on and around September 15 in support of Hamilton's popular annual art festival, SUPERCRAWL. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Those looking to travel to and from Hamilton can take the special Lakeshore West GO Trains or regular GO Train and Bus service serving Hamilton GO Centre. One special Toronto-bound train will accommodate passengers experiencing the art crawl on the Friday evening, departing Hamilton GO at 12:20 a.m. in the early hours of Saturday, September 15. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saturday festival-goers can take a special GO Train from Union Station at 6:20 p.m., arriving at Hamilton GO at 7:42 p.m. The return trip will depart Hamilton GO at 12:20 a.m. in the early hours of Sunday, September 16. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The special trains operating for SUPERCRAWL, as well as a regular train departing Union Station at 6:35 p.m. on Friday evening will include the Art Train Conductor No. 9. The artsy GO railcar, Art Train Conductor No. 9, allows GO passengers to travel to their destination comfortably while experiencing a unique and interactive public art project. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For more information on GO Transit services, the public can call 416.869.3200, 1.888.GET ON GO (438.6646), 1.800.387.3652 TTY, or visit gotransit.com. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SUPERCRAWL is an annual event that celebrates the diversity of James North, Hamilton's multi-disciplinary arts community, and the incredible spark that results with our unique mix of cultures, businesses and creative people. Supercrawl is heading into its 4th year in 2012 with the hopes to continue to grow the event into the downtown premier event of the year. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GO Transit is Metrolinx's regional public transit system linking Toronto with the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area. GO carries about 62 million passengers a year in an extensive network of train and bus services that spans more than 11,000 square kilometres. Metrolinx is an agency of the Province of Ontario. Follow GO on Twitter and Facebook. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For further information: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Media enquiries - Malon Edwards, (416) 874-5945, or Mark Ostler, (416) 874-5975.[/FONT]

Back