News   Aug 28, 2024
 268     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I have mixed feelings right now, on one hand I’m happy they posted all that stuff about GO ALRT that I previously didn’t know about, on the other hand I’m sad because I just finished redoing 19 of my GO ALRT maps a few months ago, and now they’re all inaccurate:View attachment 591628

I would have to assume your awesome visuals are pretty close in terms of the alignments. Just think of this as an ongoing project and there's no immediate rush the specific lines in these exact locations with this particular technology isn't under construction :)

If you can show a work address within the City boundary you can get a library account.
Or if you go to university in Toronto. (or own property in Toronto or live in a first nation). Or are homeless.

If the books are on the shelves, you can just look at them. But most of these seem to be in the stacks, and you'd have to order them up in advance. Which does require a card.

Apparently you can get a visitors card, if you are just visiting Toronto - but I'm not sure if that lets you to order material in storage.

Or you can pay to get a card. $50 for 3 months or $150 for 12 months.

Interesting discussion

Interesting, yes, plenty to agree with. Some of which is indeed being advanced. But it is presented inside out. As usual with enthusiast articles, the thing obsesses about fleet and EMU's and electric locomotives - which most agree are the right direction, but are not the silver bullet they are always presented as.

The bigger need is for track, wires, signals, and platforms in the right places. Fleet comes later. First, decide on the mission. GO historically did not address movement within the 416. There has been considerable motion to change that. But GO cannot be hijacked to be the 416's transit solution. And if it were, how well does it meet regional and intercity needs? It has to balance the two, and the capacity for both must be built into the design. Pushing the pendulum too far by adding too many 416 stations risks undermining the longer distance throughput - yes, electrification will allow more stops within the same footprint, but only to a point.

I compare it to a 80 storey condo or office tower. There will likely be express elevators, because nobody wants to stop 78 times on the way to the top floor. One can analyse ridership and note that the express elevators only benefit half the riders, because half the residents get off below the 40th floor. Doesn't mean the express component is wrong. A good designer will be astute in where the crossover floors are. Switching to elevators that move faster doesn't change the agony of stopping at all 79 floors. So some express component has to fit in the design.

I may trigger a bit quickly when discussion focuses on electric fleet, but I see lots of frustration and complaining because posters think ML isn't moving fast enough to procure same. (As if switchgear and power control components can be ordered online and arrive by courier). We can't string wires until we have the track built and the signals activated. We need more common understanding of the system design.

- Paul

I may trigger a bit quickly when discussion focuses on electric fleet, but I see lots of frustration and complaining because posters think ML isn't moving fast enough to procure same. (As if switchgear and power control components can be ordered online and arrive by courier). We can't string wires until we have the track built and the signals activated. We need more common understanding of the system design.
To be fair, I think it is objectively true that progress to date on GO expansion has been very slow. This is compounded by Metrolinx's lack of transparency. We are promised that the development phase will be completed in the next few months. I, perhaps cynically, don't expect that ML will reveal their plans at that time.

To be fair, I think it is objectively true that progress to date on GO expansion has been very slow. This is compounded by Metrolinx's lack of transparency. We are promised that the development phase will be completed in the next few months. I, perhaps cynically, don't expect that ML will reveal their plans at that time.

Completely agree. The slow pace is compounded by ML's internal lack of project discipline, bad staging and habitual redesign. And politics.
The steady drip drip drip of gleeful PR is egregious considering that ML will not engage in any meaningful discussion of timelines or tcd's. Lots to be dissatisfied about.

- Paul

Back