News   Apr 30, 2024
 95     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 889     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Is there a
Given the lack of available sidings, you can't go west of Mount Pleasant before the last eastbound GO train has left Georgetown (#3812 at 09:30). Therefore, #3209 (dep. Union at 08:34) would be the first existing westbound train you could extend beyond Mount Pleasant (it currently terminates at Bramalea).

However, that would result in something like a 12:30 arrival into London, which is when your average commuter has already his lunch break. Also, you would now have to find a new trainset for #3414 to depart at 10:40 in Mount Pleasant...
Could you schedule it so that there is a east bound, westbound train at Kitchener?

Is there a

Could you schedule it so that there is a east bound, westbound train at Kitchener?
I'm not completely sure what you mean, but my understanding is that it is not currently possible to have an eastbound and a westbound train serve Kitchener simultaneously, given that there supposedly is only one platform available...

I'm not completely sure what you mean, but my understanding is that it is not currently possible to have an eastbound and a westbound train serve Kitchener simultaneously, given that there supposedly is only one platform available...
Sorry...forgot about that.

No worries, it's beyond ridiculous that such a Corridor has such an absurdly low capacity due to the lack of critical infrastructure...
So I guess to build a second platform they would need to build a wheelchair accessible bridge or tunnel and build a platform on the other side?

So I guess to build a second platform they would need to build a wheelchair accessible bridge or tunnel and build a platform on the other side?
Whatever they need to build, it will inevitably have to come in order to fulfill just a fraction of the intentions hinted by the various Business Cases published by Metrolinx (same goes for Guelph), but it says a lot about this country that it hasn't been built already one or two decades ago...

Last edited:
Is there a

The problem is the close headways (relatively) of the peak trains. To hold the eastbound peak trains at Kitchener until an early morning westbound arrived, you'd pretty much eliminate the peak service. Same in the afternoon in the other direction.

That counter-peak train will need to meet several trains along the way, which means multiple sidings or passing tracks all the way from Bramalea to Kitchener.

- Paul

I know Metrolinx has been doing weekend work on the Guelph Subdivision (replacing bridge spans at least, and I think there is planned work to upgrade crossings as well), but I haven't read about any work adding passing sidings even though I understand it is a prerequisite for all-day two-way service which is at least theoretically supposed to be in the cards. Does anyone know if that's part of the planned work on the line?

Re: a 2nd platform in Kitchener, I expect that will come with the new Transit Centre at King and Victoria.

I know Metrolinx has been doing weekend work on the Guelph Subdivision (replacing bridge spans at least, and I think there is planned work to upgrade crossings as well), but I haven't read about any work adding passing sidings even though I understand it is a prerequisite for all-day two-way service which is at least theoretically supposed to be in the cards. Does anyone know if that's part of the planned work on the line?

Re: a 2nd platform in Kitchener, I expect that will come with the new Transit Centre at King and Victoria.
Guelph Central will be getting a 2nd track and platform. Some of the track is laid but won’t be completed until the Norfolk bridges are replaced.

What I am most impressed with here is the guy actually managed to drive himself out of the pedestrian tunnel by going down the stairs, and then escape out the doors. It's like something from a movie.

image.jpg

Last edited:

What I am most impressed with here is the guy actually managed to drive himself out of the pedestrian tunnel by going down the stairs, and then escape out the doors. It's like something from a movie.

image.jpg

Have they consulted with the Film Permit Office; perhaps Fast and Furious was filming their latest installment and neglected to tell Mx................?

image.jpg
Pft I do this all the time in GTA. Gotta get to the subway tunnel to escape the 5 stars.

This London to Toronto talk hurts my head,

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Metrolinx to begin planning a standalone London GO network with downtown London as the hub? Four lines going in the cardinal directions, with terminus stations at Strathroy, Port Stanley, Woodstock, and Stratford(/Kitchener).

London should be built up as a regional employment centre rather than yet another bedroom community for Toronto.

London should be built up as a regional employment centre rather than yet another bedroom community for Toronto.

London is its own worst enemy. Starts with the voters themselves, electing a Council whose mentality for planning is right out of the 1980's. Transit is still a dirty word. Their roads are incredibly congested. Autocentric sprawl continues unabated. No one seems to notice.

London has enormous potential that cries for better solutions, but no point in forcing these on anyone. Let them eat the opportunity cost.

- Paul

Back