News   Jul 03, 2024
 45     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 695     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.2K     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows that I have always been an proponent/advocate of a GO station in Liberty Village.

I know that the more knowledgable folks around here have explained the technological difficulties in making a station fit/work there but if we are going to more frequent, but shorter, trains then I would put it into the "imperative" category.

One of the great successes of the AD2W service on the Lakeshore lines is how well received/used they are for event attendance. Events at Rogers Centre and BMO Field, the Ex and Molson Ampitheatre draw big crowds to the line(s). I know, at least in the west end, not all of those people are folks who live near the line...often people better served by Milton and Kitchener make the drive down to their nearest LSW station and take the train to avoid the traffic, parking, exiting hassles.

The nature of people though (particularly infrequent/occasional users) is that they will consult the schedule and take the last train in that gets them to their event on time and plan on being on the first train home after the event. I know, for example, the train that gets to BMO Field before kickoff is standing room only and the first train departing Exhibition stadium after the match is also standing room only. If those trains were not 12 car units but, now, 6 or 8 car units there would be people left on platforms (making them late for the match or aggravated on the way home) and that is with a 22k stadium....it will only get worse when that stadium is increased to 30k next year. Similar comment regarding shows at amphitheatre.

If we shorten trains, albeit with increased frequency, and the feeling people have is that you can't get on a train then they will revert to driving.

A station at LV (maybe called LV-Ex North) that draws away from the Lakeshore line the people who drive to LSW from other lines' catchment areas will alleviate this problem greatly......and, I think, has now become a crucial technological problem to solve.

As I stated in the past, the only spot for a station for Liberty Village is at King St on the west side that can be use by any type of train, but better suited for short trains. There is no room on the east side for any type of train.

As I stated in the past, the only spot for a station for Liberty Village is at King St on the west side that can be use by any type of train, but better suited for short trains. There is no room on the east side for any type of train.

Yes you have been clear, and informative, on the tech challenges (appreciated BTW) but I think with the change in how the service is going this has become an imperative.

When you say "west side" where is that? West of what?

Yes you have been clear, and informative, on the tech challenges (appreciated BTW) but I think with the change in how the service is going this has become an imperative.

I think he means on the portion of the line north of King, or to the west of the King Overpass. I'm still not clear why east wouldn't work for a 6-car train. There's at least 150m of space between the King St overpass and the proposed bridge connecting Western Battery to Douro. Is the grade there that steep that a platform can't be built?

I think he means on the portion of the line north of King, or to the west of the King Overpass. I'm still not clear why east wouldn't work for a 6-car train. There's at least 150m of space between the King St overpass and the proposed bridge connecting Western Battery to Douro. Is the grade there that steep that a platform can't be built?

Thanks.....I think the location of the station is less important than the existence of a station in the area.

Thanks.....I think the location of the station is less important than the existence of a station in the area.

I agree that this would be important. Huge amount of people living there, there are companies/offices there. Traffic I hear is terrible. Transit is either King streetcar or Dufferin bus, both I hear are bad or over-capacity.

Come on, the west side of the corridor. Geee!!!! There is an area over King St that can support 3 car train and up to 5 cars with a narrow platform to the south. I posted a photo of it and the area and you can find other photos for the area on my site.

Come on, the west side of the corridor. Geee!!!! There is an area over King St that can support 3 car train and up to 5 cars with a narrow platform to the south. I posted a photo of it and the area and you can find other photos for the area on my site.

Not on this thread :)

Not on this thread :)
Of course I haven't and will not, as it under the other threads for the corridor. Don't have the time and not spoon feeding people for all the info.

My apologies for, seemingly, upsetting you with that question....that was the farthest thing from my intent.

I have said for years that Toronto already has a great rapid transit system already built if only they would use it.

Now it looks like Metrolinx is finally getting serious about what will be the best use of it`s funds and serve many more people and destinations with true rapid transit than any tiny subways expansions will ever do.

The only problem is a damn big one..................GO costs too damn much! GO could run trains every 30 seconds and electrify the whole system and it wouldn`t make a hoot of difference to most people in the city of Toronto, it will still remain to expensive for them to take. Fare integration îe subtracting the amount paid for your local transit service from your GO fare, is only the start and still will entice only a few to take a RER type system.

Ideally, a local fare within your local service area should cover ALL types of transit offered whether that be streetcar, bus, subway, SkyTrain, GO bus or rail. You should only pay extra fare for anything when you leave your transit service area suchas the city of Toronto or York Region with 2 zones.

If that proves to be a bit too much financially there should still be a VERY affordable add-on Metropass like a Metropass-plus which for an extra $30 gets you unlimited travel on GO service within the city of Toronto itself.

They can electrify all they want and have subway type frequency but for the transit dependent particularaly working poor, seniors, disabled, and students which makes up the majority of TTC patrons, all the extra service will mean nothing if it is still beyond their financial means.

I have said for years that Toronto already has a great rapid transit system already built if only they would use it.

Now it looks like Metrolinx is finally getting serious about what will be the best use of it`s funds and serve many more people and destinations with true rapid transit than any tiny subways expansions will ever do.

The only problem is a damn big one..................GO costs too damn much! GO could run trains every 30 seconds and electrify the whole system and it wouldn`t make a hoot of difference to most people in the city of Toronto, it will still remain to expensive for them to take. Fare integration îe subtracting the amount paid for your local transit service from your GO fare, is only the start and still will entice only a few to take a RER type system.

Exactly.

Unrelated, does anyone know why it seems that we're not considering third rail electrification? I caught an article with someone from Metrolinx saying that they'd need to bring all sorts of people in to consult on electrification as it's a relatively unknown process here. It strikes me that we should have knowledge of third rail systems, as that's what the subway is. That seems to work fine for the Overground in London, and likely a few other systems.

Probably not the greatest idea if you are in a region with lots of snow - and I am guessing that above ground power is probably cheaper/easier to maintain?

AoD

Back