News   May 06, 2024
 417     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 651     1 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

It wasn't me that brought the hydrogen discussion back up.

My point is that studying it was not a waste of money. Seriously $7 million of a $13 billion budget is pennies on pennies on the dollar. They have learnt a lot about the shortcomings and strengths of an emerging technology and knowledge is never a bad thing whether you decide to use it or not. It's always better to make an informed decision on all potentials than simply make them on preconceived notions.

While I certainly appreciate that Metrolinx studied hydrogen as primarily a delay tactic so they can continue to make no decisions on anything, the puny $7 million was not a waste but rather a bargain.

If ML doesn't want hydrogen for RER then fine but that doesn't mean it is not {nor will not become} a viable option in the future. Obviously the number of hydrogen trains is going to grow exponentially over the next couple decades especially as our entire transportation, manufacturing, and agriculture sector transfer over to zero emissions and, except for cars, commuter rail, and short range delivery trucks, expecting batteries to be able to do it is truly laughable. This means not only will the technology grow immensely but so will the needed infrastructure including CN & CP.

It may not be any use to them now but in 20 years when they need to expand service to other areas which must be done with zero emitting vehicles but where the high costs of catenary cannot be justified, then hydrogen will seriously be considered. What ML has learned can also provide vital information to other commuter services in Ontario and especially Ottawa and London to say nothing of VIA rail. The days of diesel rail are quickly coming to an end and that means a switch to alternatives that don't require gobs of initial infrastructure spending.

Considering this is not even pennies on the dollar for ML, the amount of knowledge they have gained from a system that will be plying our rails nation wide in 30 years seems like it was money well spent.
This is not obvious to me. Hydrogen is inherently more expensive. It takes ~3x as many kWh to do anything with hydrogen than battery.

1616964284385.png

Unfortunately, from what I remember the Spadina RER station is only supposed to support Barrie trains no? I happen to agree with Reece that this is a pretty big oversight/limitation.

At any rate, I'm happy that the BOT is pushing this conversation forward. My only hope is that Metrolinx listens (and if not, Minister Mulroney, who can force them to change their plans).

Unfortunately, from what I remember the Spadina RER station is only supposed to support Barrie trains no? I happen to agree with Reece that this is a pretty big oversight/limitation.

At any rate, I'm happy that the BOT is pushing this conversation forward. My only hope is that Metrolinx listens (and if not, Minister Mulroney, who can force them to change their plans).
Some fairly high-profile people will show up at the event. In particular the TTC chair and the president/CEO of Infrastructure Ontario. I'm also told that Metrolinx does indeed listen to these trade board meetings more than we expect. It's a matter of whether or not CP/CN will ever allow electrification and expanded service on their tracks.

1617038446496.png

The report has been released. Lots of good stuff in there. A few highlights below.

Proposed Trillium Rail network.

View attachment 308747
Conceptual proposal for the re-alignment of tracks and platforms at Union.

View attachment 308748

A more ambitious future rail network.

View attachment 308749

Area's within 60 min of origin.

View attachment 308750

A conceptual rendering of a Bombardier Talent train that could be used on the network.

View attachment 308751
Pretty damn good. To bad it will never happen.

Back