News   Feb 26, 2021
 1.1K     0 
News   Feb 26, 2021
 2K     7 

GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
I got an off-forum dm from someone who doesn't have an account here and they believe that there will be no centre support in future. I find this interesting because I wish center supports had been removed at Coxwell CN bridge during its recent lengthy refurbishment by means of a concurrent span replacement - I used to live in that hood and the 2 lanes to 1 arrangement used to make me quite anxious in winter when driving.

Wow, that would be amazing if this happens. Thanks for the reply.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^I did a hunt online through past documents about the Diamond and saw little that was definitive. The one item I did find stated that the next step will be rebuilding the abutments at either end of the bridge. It's certainly conceivable that the rebuild would strengthen the abutments such that a centre support to the new span isn't required. But only time will tell, I guess.

- Paul

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
^I did a hunt online through past documents about the Diamond and saw little that was definitive. The one item I did find stated that the next step will be rebuilding the abutments at either end of the bridge. It's certainly conceivable that the rebuild would strengthen the abutments such that a centre support to the new span isn't required. But only time will tell, I guess.

- Paul

It would certainly help in creating more room for protected bike lanes.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
It would certainly help in creating more room for protected bike lanes.

Something that appears and disappears in the ML documentation is the prospect of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the CP tracks at the Diamond, parallel to the new rail overpass. I'm not sure if it is on, or not?

Not that anyone might find that an attractive walking or cycling destination, just to watch the trains go by....

- Paul

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something that appears and disappears in the ML documentation is the prospect of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the CP tracks at the Diamond, parallel to the new rail overpass. I'm not sure if it is on, or not?
Not that anyone might find that an attractive walking or cycling destination, just to watch the trains go by....
- Paul

Hmm.... That was previously on the plans. I wonder what happened to it. E.g....you can see it on pages 14, 22, 23 here:

Extending the trail or "greenway" or whatever they call it these days over the diamond would be an awesome bike/ped connection for people in the Davenport Village area, and Earlscourt Park. There was even a push to have a bridge connect the trail over to the park. Maybe this will shake out with the public realm plans if they ever happen.

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
I got an off-forum dm from someone who doesn't have an account here and they believe that there will be no centre support in future. I find this interesting because I wish center supports had been removed at Coxwell CN bridge during its recent lengthy refurbishment by means of a concurrent span replacement - I used to live in that hood and the 2 lanes to 1 arrangement used to make me quite anxious in winter when driving.

Correct. There will be no centre supports. I knew I had seen a rendering somewhere, and using Wayback Machine on IOs website I found this:

CE825B28-AB2E-451B-B780-590085CF6F58.jpeg

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Correct. There will be no centre supports. I knew I had seen a rendering somewhere, and using Wayback Machine on IOs website I found this:

View attachment 286288

Must be an early rendering because of the rather thick railings and no bicycle lanes (which should be level with the sidewalk).

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wonderful - now can we get the same treatment for the underpass to the west?

Would be nice, but doubt that would happen any time soon. One of the bridges is brand new - just built a few years ago. Four bridges in total (3 tracks, 2 tracks, new bridge for 1 future track, Railpath).

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Would be nice, but doubt that would happen any time soon. One of the bridges is brand new - just built a few years ago. Four bridges in total (3 tracks, 2 tracks, new bridge for 1 future track, Railpath).

With the bridges in the area being 100 years old by 2025, wonder if there a celebration of some sort.

Reactions: vic

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nov 29
By the looks of piers, this was a 4 track corridor or it was setup to be one.