Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^I did a hunt online through past documents about the Diamond and saw little that was definitive. The one item I did find stated that the next step will be rebuilding the abutments at either end of the bridge. It's certainly conceivable that the rebuild would strengthen the abutments such that a centre support to the new span isn't required. But only time will tell, I guess.

- Paul

^I did a hunt online through past documents about the Diamond and saw little that was definitive. The one item I did find stated that the next step will be rebuilding the abutments at either end of the bridge. It's certainly conceivable that the rebuild would strengthen the abutments such that a centre support to the new span isn't required. But only time will tell, I guess.

- Paul

It would certainly help in creating more room for protected bike lanes.

It would certainly help in creating more room for protected bike lanes.

Something that appears and disappears in the ML documentation is the prospect of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the CP tracks at the Diamond, parallel to the new rail overpass. I'm not sure if it is on, or not?

Not that anyone might find that an attractive walking or cycling destination, just to watch the trains go by....

- Paul

Something that appears and disappears in the ML documentation is the prospect of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the CP tracks at the Diamond, parallel to the new rail overpass. I'm not sure if it is on, or not?
Not that anyone might find that an attractive walking or cycling destination, just to watch the trains go by....
- Paul

Hmm.... That was previously on the plans. I wonder what happened to it. E.g....you can see it on pages 14, 22, 23 here:

Extending the trail or "greenway" or whatever they call it these days over the diamond would be an awesome bike/ped connection for people in the Davenport Village area, and Earlscourt Park. There was even a push to have a bridge connect the trail over to the park. Maybe this will shake out with the public realm plans if they ever happen.

I got an off-forum dm from someone who doesn't have an account here and they believe that there will be no centre support in future. I find this interesting because I wish center supports had been removed at Coxwell CN bridge during its recent lengthy refurbishment by means of a concurrent span replacement - I used to live in that hood and the 2 lanes to 1 arrangement used to make me quite anxious in winter when driving.

Correct. There will be no centre supports. I knew I had seen a rendering somewhere, and using Wayback Machine on IOs website I found this:

CE825B28-AB2E-451B-B780-590085CF6F58.jpeg

Correct. There will be no centre supports. I knew I had seen a rendering somewhere, and using Wayback Machine on IOs website I found this:

View attachment 286288

Must be an early rendering because of the rather thick railings and no bicycle lanes (which should be level with the sidewalk).

Wonderful - now can we get the same treatment for the underpass to the west?

Would be nice, but doubt that would happen any time soon. One of the bridges is brand new - just built a few years ago. Four bridges in total (3 tracks, 2 tracks, new bridge for 1 future track, Railpath).

Would be nice, but doubt that would happen any time soon. One of the bridges is brand new - just built a few years ago. Four bridges in total (3 tracks, 2 tracks, new bridge for 1 future track, Railpath).

With the bridges in the area being 100 years old by 2025, wonder if there a celebration of some sort.

Reactions: vic
Nov 29
By the looks of piers, this was a 4 track corridor or it was setup to be one.
50681469243_56b203613c_b.jpg

50682303642_d6746782a6_b.jpg

50681469383_0a2dc51895_b.jpg

50681469463_4eca2357c2_b.jpg

50682303877_53f58c35c0_b.jpg

50681469593_bcd0111c94_b.jpg

50682230171_0b02756352_b.jpg

50682304062_3676bf52c3_b.jpg

50682230366_4e931ce967_b.jpg

50681469933_108f30b447_b.jpg

50682304372_6ac6b06d12_b.jpg

50682304702_781ac73c07_b.jpg

I love elevated transit cause it goes from zero to hero so fast. I assume once the prep work is done, the guideway will rise relatively fast.

We are so lucky to have the Stouffville and Barrie lines in Toronto; two above ground commuter lines barely if ever used by freight, owned by the transit agency. Thats so rare in North America. We totally have to use this to our greatest advantage.

We are so lucky to have the Stouffville and Barrie lines in Toronto; two above ground commuter lines barely if ever used by freight, owned by the transit agency. Thats so rare in North America. We totally have to use this to our greatest advantage.
Agreed, GO Transit has the potential to become one of the best commuter rail/soon to be regional rail systems in NA.

Last edited:

Back