News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Confederation
I had a better look at the station today and as I expected, the new platform is not in between the two pairs of tracks that was proposed. It is in the old CN corridor. The platform goes over the bridge now.
Apple Maps arial imagery shows this very clearly. I think this data is from early/mid 2023 because the gap between the south two tracks (where the platform will go) has been filled in for a quite a while now..
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 10.40.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 10.39.44 PM.png

Apple Maps arial imagery shows this very clearly. I think this data is from early/mid 2023 because the gap between the south two tracks (where the platform will go) has been filled in for a quite a while now..
View attachment 560153
View attachment 560154
The first section of the platform is where the hole is. There are retaining walls on the south side and more so on the west side at the bridge and then the retaining wall moves north for the station area.

I maintain one myself if that helps:

"Prep work" is construction on supporting infrastructure such as widening structures, adding additional platforms, but not actually laying track.
Not all stations are shown. Not all crossovers are shown.
View attachment 559884
Technically you could add the Newmarket Sub between Bloor and Davenport as complete, even though it's not hooked up yet...

Technically you could add the Newmarket Sub between Bloor and Davenport as complete, even though it's not hooked up yet...
Oh right! I forgot about that happening through the flyover project. Yeah that's the kind of thing I was trying to display by adding the crossover status in. There's a similar situation on the Stouffville line where the track from Kennedy to Highland Creek is complete but can't be used since it's not hooked up at the north end.

I'd really need to make a diagram at the individual track and platform level (like the one I made for the Kitchener Line) to more intuitively display what has and hasn't been done yet.

April 28
More up on my site for Confederation and late posting these one with the weather against me

On the original CN Bridge that has been widen for the centre platform
53695663621_b112ffe79e_b.jpg

53694774262_ddcc817c58_b.jpg

53695664056_237138ded0_b.jpg

The north track will be to the left and further north where CN tracks were original located
53694774427_1496a15ed6_b.jpg

Parking lot ready for concrete work and layout
53696106650_7990513b86_b.jpg

April 28
Guelph
Lot more up on my site now for the station.
53700993659_5c1d05a811_b.jpg

To bad Metrolinx close those stairs off, but save them legal problems.
53699760592_15686d27dd_b.jpg

Shows how far west of the overpass where the eastbound platform ends compared to the westbound one.
53699760652_9ae4cc587d_b.jpg

53700867788_95420a203a_b.jpg

53701090020_8342463191_b.jpg

53700652561_0b430761bc_b.jpg

53700867163_8b1b5b7ff0_b.jpg

What is the legal problem with stairs?
I thought maybe the same reason they lock up the enclosed shelters.
Metrolinx has stated there are safety concerns at the station including vandalism, drug use, trespassing and assault.

Rubbish solutions though, it’s unclear what makes this any different from other stations in city centres like this.

I use outdoor stairs to access Cooksville GO all the time. I would be extremely upset if they closed it for such lame reason,
yup... its a cop out for bad design or too lazy to address the problem. add heating cables, get a salter or enclose it... but no theyll just lock it up because its the cheapest solution.

I have used both Guelph stairs in the past, considering there was no south platform then.

Those stair were built to gain access to the platforms and another example of Metrolinx not willing to service riders needs. Cannot recall when the stirs were built.

There is a cost to enclosed the stairs that can have doors been lock after hours or not at all that would off set the liability issue for slip, slide, fall and keeping them clear during the winter months. There is always the risk of someone slipping and falling on stairs like every stair in existing and no excuse not to keep those stair open.

In the past, it was common to see Homeless and crackheads in the south entrance that it was safter to take the long route to the north side outside of any train service even when the door got lock.

I use outdoor stairs to access Cooksville GO all the time. I would be extremely upset if they closed it for such lame reason,
I have used those stair as well not only to use Go, but to rail fan at the station as well photographing the construction of the station. Those stairs will have to be relocated when the north track gets built considering they are not OADA compliance in the first place and force accessibility riders to take a very long trip to get to that platform. I don't think there is enough room from the street to the platform to have a ramp that meets OADA requirements. People can slip and slide on those ramps if not clear during the winter months just like stairs.

March 2024 satellite image of Confederation GO - you can see the north station building, the new bridge structure for the platform over Centennial, and a rough outline of the future platform. Ideally I hope the station provides a south side access, but I think that may be delayed until a later phase when additional parking is needed and the south parking lot is developed:

centennial.png

Back