News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

All the bridges are to be 4 tracks up to 427 in this section with 8 south of Dundas.

They should be 4 tracks up to Georgetown also, but Brampton can only support 3.

The line from Georgetown to Kitchener should be double track.

Are they making it so it has 4 tracks?

All new or rebuilt structures between where the UP Express leaves the corridor and Union station are being built to the ultimate design in the Envrionmental Assessment, but the number of tracks laid will be less until required. This is done since the cost of coming back later and changing the bridges it typically significantly more than taking it into consideration from the start. The ultimate design is 8 tracks from Bathurst to Lansdowne (Barrie GO corridor), 6 tracks to Dupont (Milton GO corridor), 4 tracks (excluding CP tracks) to 427 (Pearson spur). Some structures are not being touched since the expected tracks to be laid at launch fit easily in the existing corridor so they are not being built to the ultimate design such as the 401 underpass (3 instead of 4 tracks) and the recently completed bridge over Dufferin (7 instead of 8 tracks) If the rest of the Georgetown North of Kitchener expansion structures are funded it would be 3 tracks to just past Georgetown (split from CN mainline) and 2 tracks to Kitchener.

The bridge over Black Creek in the picture provided by drum118 is in the 4 track section.

Last edited:
First off some changes to my posting for Georgetown/Kitchener as I got my track number backward for some reason. The new #1 track will be the far east track with the current #1 track becoming #4.

I understand now that the new track #2 will be use as the bypass track while the current #1 over Black Creek is rebuilt as well finishing off track #3 bridge. Track #2 has the hording up on it as shown in the photo.

Only 2 more levels to the stairwell for Clarkson Parking structure has been added since I saw it 5 weeks ago and that real slow. No sign for the elevator shaft at this time and that odd unless it will be a steel frame like Erindale.

Had a look at Erindale on Wed and the tower crane is still there. It could be used for the erection of the precast panels for the side since there is a mobile crane in the front lifting the panels into place.

Traffic light poles have been installed on Burnhamthorpe Rd to allow cars in/out of the structure.

Seeing a first for the station platform and looks like my bitching and raising the issue surround single elevators to the platforms has paid off. There are 2 elevators in the parking structure as well at Oakville, but seeing 2 elevators from the walkway bridge to the platform is a first for any station I have seen to date. Long over due. With these 2 elevators being install, does this mean the south one will come out or become a backup?

Crews were working inside on the new station and haven't heard when the parking structure is to come online other than this summer.

Hang on - I've just had a look at the 401 underpass in Street View (from Islington). At present there are only two tracks, so will ARL traffic lose separation between Etobicoke North GO and the west end of the Humber Bridge because that passage is only due to be widened for a third mainline?

They might schedule most of the layover at the airport, so the first inbound train meet would happen just west of Etobicoke North. The ARL could then operate on a single track through that bottleneck.

Hang on - I've just had a look at the 401 underpass in Street View (from Islington). At present there are only two tracks, so will ARL traffic lose separation between Etobicoke North GO and the west end of the Humber Bridge because that passage is only due to be widened for a third mainline?

I'm pretty sure they have said there is room for three tracks under the 401 which is all there is going to be for the first phase. But the underpass does look tight.

What's going on here......

oxC5nY1.jpg

1hIdoj9.jpg

They are preparing to rebuilt the Bloor Station.

The centre area will see a new entrance north of Bloor entrance with a waiting room for UP, as well an elevator to the high platform that will tapper off to lower level for GO platform north of the high Platform.

A new track will be install on the west side of the rebuilt platform.

Dufferin Construction is doing the work.

Once the new platform is done, the east platform will be rebuilt to match the west one, but will not have a track on the east side until it is needed.

[h=1]West Bridges Girder Installation – Road Closures[/h] As we install the girders on all three bridges, there will be road/lane closures as follows:
Highway 27 – Partial closure starting March 28 at 8 p.m. ending April 1 at 5 a.m. Only one lane of northbound and southbound traffic will be available.
Martin Grove Road – Full closure starting April 5 at 8 p.m. ending April 8 at 5 a.m. between Bethridge Road and Vulcan Street.
Kipling Avenue – Full closure starting April 19 at 8 p.m. ending April 22 at 5 a.m. between Bethridge and Namco Roads.
TTC diversions will be in effect during the dates and times above. Please contact the TTC at ttc.ca or
numbers_button_skype_logo.png
416-393-3030 for further details.

They are preparing to rebuilt the Bloor Station.

The centre area will see a new entrance north of Bloor entrance with a waiting room for UP, as well an elevator to the high platform that will tapper off to lower level for GO platform north of the high Platform.

A new track will be install on the west side of the rebuilt platform.

Dufferin Construction is doing the work.

Once the new platform is done, the east platform will be rebuilt to match the west one, but will not have a track on the east side until it is needed.

How could they put in a new track to the east without eating into the Railpath?

How could they put in a new track to the east without eating into the Railpath?

The new track bridge is in place and there is enough room between the platform and Railpath for the track to go in at a future date.

Under the current plan, you will be able to access the platform from Railpath, but it will be close off when the track goes in.

The other debate is where the sound barrier is to go. Some want it on the east side of the Railpath while others want it on the west side for safety issues since the east side would block the view as to what is taking place there at night.

Another group doesn't want these barriers walls since they will be 5m high. The final decision will be up to the community group looking at the walls. There are 9 groups along this corridor.
5702070125_bacc122acf_b.jpg

5702641376_7d160a7418_b.jpg

I should note ""ALL"" trees and shrubs will be remove from the corridor.

All trees over 12'' diameter will be replace at 3 for 1 and will be place where the residents and the city want them. This includes putting them on resident land.

Landscaping will also take place in conjunction with the city.

Back