News   Jun 26, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 277     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If you read the entire article, you'll see that it's not suggested that it was, but rather whether the stated specs of the bridge permit HFR EMU interoperability, a study of which I also linked with that article surmise I posted.
My fault - was late when I read it and my brain transposed AMT for Amtrak. Maybe there is some merit in that exo rebrand after all :D

My fault - was late when I read it and my brain transposed AMT for Amtrak. Maybe there is some merit in that exo rebrand after all :D
Fair enough! What boggles me is that the discussion has been in the shadows on this. It is up to spec to handle High Speed vehicles! (But not conventional locos and carriages). Agreed on "EXO" although I can never remember it. AMT is burned in.

Last edited:
PDF of budget is here. GO highlights:

Note in the below "look to the private sector to propose innovative approaches to meet future GO Transit rail service levels".

More here:
http://budget.ontario.ca/2019/chapter-1b.html#section-2

"The Province is already undertaking infrastructure work to help expand GO Transit rail services. Across the network, capital projects such as track work, rail maintenance, noise walls and grade separations are well underway. The next stage of delivering the GO Rail Expansion program will take place throughout 2019. Metrolinx will be moving forward with critical procurements, including additional infrastructure work along the corridors and at the stations. The Province will look to the private sector to propose innovative approaches to meet future GO Transit rail service levels, including opportunities for technology that could be used to electrify core segments of the GO Transit rail network, such as an overhead catenary system or hydrogen fuel cells. "

The whole budget document provides very little detail about GO Expansion, other than to indicate that it is "on" in some form.

Was there a separate briefing or announcement by Yurek?

The buildup puffery certainly led us to believe we would hear more.

- Paul

If they can do 20 min AD2W all week, I don't care if it's electrified.

Yeah you do. Operating costs for that level of service are significantly lower with electrification. The payback is between 5 and 7 years; so it interests anyone who has mentioned high taxes, high fares, noise, clean air, or even the speed of the trip.

Trackwork to support 15 minute frequencies is another item but that happens regardless of the power plant location (on train or fixed location).

Last edited:
It does seem they are going to go ahead with 15 minute RER service and it does state electrification on key sections but not each one specifically. I think electrification and GO RER will go ahead if for no other reason than it servers a lot of the 905 Ford base. This is a promise they will demand be kept especially after downtown Toronto seems to have unexpectedly hit the jackpot.

What Ford may do however is shrink the number/km of line that will get electrified. I could see the entire Barrie electrification from Union to Aurora being cancelled and not even being part of RER now that they are getting a major northbound expansion of the Yonge Line. It would actually make sense as the Barrie RER section will lose a sizeable chunk of it's ridership with a Yonge extension and it serves almost no one in the City itself due to it being fairly isolated and running between the Yonge & Spadina lines.

Back