News   Sep 20, 2024
 6.2K     4 
News   Sep 20, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Sep 20, 2024
 793     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

What does CN stand to gain from working on passenger rail projects? Why would they dedicate their own time, man power to working on this project? Is MX paying them? Is this a gesture of good will? Asking out of curiosity.
On corridors that are owned by their respective owners, the host railroad calls all the shots on construction in that corridor.

That's exactly how it works. Metrolinx tells CN to do something, they come to an agreement, and then CN sends them the bill. The interesting question (if anything) is whether CN just charges them the flat cost of labour and resources (so 0 profit - covering the costs), or if there is some sort of upcharge, and if so how much?
The Auditor General of Ontario issued a rather scathing report a number of years ago of Metrolinx and their host railroad construction billing practices.

Full report: https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/annualreports/arreports/en16/v1_309en16.pdf

Excerpt:
For contracts with CN and CP, Metrolinx does not do work to know that it is getting what it pays for: it does not verify charged costs; it does not ensure that charged costs are reasonable; when it requests that the parts on a project be new, and pays the cost of new parts (as opposed to less expensive recycled ones), it does not require that parts be checked to ensure that they are new. It has also been paying excessively high mark-up rates charged by CN for building new rails for Metrolinx (CN’s mark-up rates are specified on its invoices,while CP’s are not as clear).

On corridors that are owned by their respective owners, the host railroad calls all the shots on construction in that corridor.

The Auditor General of Ontario issued a rather scathing report a number of years ago of Metrolinx and their host railroad construction billing practices.

Full report: https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/annualreports/arreports/en16/v1_309en16.pdf

Excerpt:
I read on this forum a while back that the UP express cost a lot of money to construct because CP charged MX "an arm & a leg" to construct the UP express/ Kitchener line, running parallel with the MActier. I'm assuming the stretch of track from Weston to the Junction.

I read on this forum a while back that the UP express cost a lot of money to construct because CP charged MX "an arm & a leg" to construct the UP express/ Kitchener line, running parallel with the MActier. I'm assuming the stretch of track from Weston to the Junction.
CP had no involvement whatsoever with the construction of the UPX, other than having their tracks realigned for various projects and having them replaced after.

Dan

CP had no involvement whatsoever with the construction of the UPX, other than having their tracks realigned for various projects and having them replaced after.

Dan
Which I imagine CPKC didn't want to do unless they were finacially compensated. This would have been incorporated into the cost of constructing UPX.

Which I imagine CPKC didn't want to do unless they were finacially compensated. This would have been incorporated into the cost of constructing UPX.

By traditional rights, CPKC would have been responsible for the cost of maintaining the diamond at West Toronto, as its lines were built later (1873 TGB, and O&Q, 1884) than the line they crossed ( GTR, 1859). Plus, CP no doubt benefitted from grade separation from the GO Weston Sub. So they were not necessarily opposed to the West Toronto construction......but I'm sure they drove a hard bargain over its cost.

- Paul

Aug 23
All my photos for Confederation Station is now on line

Cross post
Sept 20

Ontario Line Updates: Queen Street Road Closure Next Weekend​

Below is the latest Metrolinx Ontario Line construction taking place in Ward 14, broken down by area. You can report any issues to Metrolinx 24/7 at 416-202-5100.

Visit my website for information on additional Ontario Line construction happening in Ward 14.

Rail Bridge & Corridor Construction

Queen Street Road Closure Next Weekend for New Bridge Installation

Starting at 9 p.m. on Friday, September 27th until 5 a.m. on Monday, September 30th, a portion of Queen will be closed to traffic and pedestrians to allow for the installation of a new rail bridge deck.

Overnight work will be required to complete the bridge girder installation, with more disruptive work taking place during the day.

No traffic or pedestrian access will be permitted beneath the Queen Street bridge between McGee and De Grassi during the road closure times listed above.

Access for residents and businesses (local traffic) will be maintained between Broadview and Logan. Only local traffic will be permitted on Empire. Traffic will be diverted both ways via Logan, Eastern, Broadview and Carlaw.

The 501 Queen streetcar will be replaced with buses from Thursday, September 26th to Monday, September 30th.

Noise from construction equipment including cranes, and hand tools, can be expected. Noise mitigation measures, including temporary noise barriers and noise reducing equipment, will be implemented as required.

Read Metrolinx's construction notice for more information.

1727036286475.png

1727036295066.png

Back