1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 788     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Train chaos today...

C

CliffColeclough

Glad I am working from home this week. Would like to hear peoples horror stories from today though

Thankfully I don't use GO very often anymore!

THough it shows that either or rail infrastructure is lacking, or that rail/GO Transit management is out to lunch. They don't juggle their buses to meet unusual occurances like this or TTC strikes (when buses run to closed subway stations as usual), and there were alternatives - use up whatever's stored at Bathurst North yard, get the midday 7 car Bramalea shuttling up and down the Georgetown line, use the CN/CP connection to get at least a few trains out of Willowbrook, but oh, no! It being a Friday summer afternoon, I bet the people who might have though of it (not likely, it being GO Transit), were already driving home or to the cottage.

It was chaos, I had to give ride to a colleague to oakville. GO is really badly managed. There were some tourists at the GO platforms and they made some really embarassing comments about the state of GO platforms and the way all this was handled.

I think they were Germans. One guy said that "he was shocked to see that Toronto's main station is in such bad shape, worse than some 3rd world countries". Then he pointed to the roof in the GO platform.:(

The GO concourse has the charm of a midwest Greyhound bus station. Note that the Union Station renovations were not going to address the train shed. While some people want to preserve it as a historic structure (being a fine example of a Bush Trainshed and all), I say tear that shit down and build a nice glass roof. Some "historic" structures are not worth it. And I do have a soft spot for urban grit too.

And apparently, GO forgot about people at Port Credit:

July 14, 2006 21:54
Here is the information we have to report at 21:34, July 14, 2006:

Lakeshore West Service Suspension:

ALL rail service between Union Station and Burlington has been SUSPENDED completely for the remainder of the evening as a result of the CN train derailment and subsequent clean up operations near the Mimico GO Station.

GO buses will be provided from the Union Station GO Bus Terminal that will travel express to Clarkson and then make all stops to Hamilton.
These GO Buses are departing 43 minutes past each hour.

Hamilton Express service is operating as per normal schedule/route.

Lakeshore East Customers:

There are trains operating between Union Station and Oshawa this evening. Customers are advised to expect delays and possible cancellations.

While some people want to preserve it as a historic structure (being a fine example of a Bush Trainshed and all), I say tear that shit down and build a nice glass roof. Some "historic" structures are not worth it. And I do have a soft spot for urban grit too.

Maybe it's worth moving and reusing. (As part of the 2015 World's Fair?)

ALL rail service between Union Station and Burlington has been SUSPENDED completely for the remainder of the evening as a result of the CN train derailment and subsequent clean up operations near the Mimico GO Station.

How the heck does a CN train derail on such a heavily used corridor in good weather? That is, the tracks should be in pretty good shape with frequent inspections given the frequency of use in that area.

How the heck does a CN train derail on such a heavily used corridor in good weather? That is, the tracks should be in pretty good shape with frequent inspections given the frequency of use in that area.

And, of course, I just happened to be on the Via from Montreal as this happened, causing the train to be late once again. In the last 4 or 5 years, I can't remember ever being on time with Via.

How the heck does a CN train derail on such a heavily used corridor in good weather?

It's called "shit happens." Worn wheel cracks, track splits, heat causes warpage...whatever. It happens.

Too bad for GO it happened in about the worse spot - right outside the yard - and at the worst time - just as the afternoon service was starting to come online.

The GO concourse has the charm of a midwest Greyhound bus station.

I wish! Check out Cleveland's station. The interior is even better.
ghound.jpg

How the heck does a CN train derail on such a heavily used corridor in good weather?

Actually, it's the worst possible weather for derailments. The heat causes tracks, particularly high-end continuously welded tracks, to expand. Sometimes that can cause failures.

That's absolutely right, though. It couldn't possibly have happened at a worse location. At least it was a Friday so they have the weekend to fix it.

</sarcasm> Via rail update: the so-called TOR-MTL "express" was only 45 minutes late today! I was impressed. </end sarcasm>

>:

Wow. You have bad luck with VIA. I've had trains that late, but not that often. At 45 minutes late, I'd wish it were 10-15 minutes later, so the late train credit (AKA LottoVIA) kicks in, which is actually quite generous (50% of your one-way fare for which the train is late).

I should also note that I was taking VIA to Ottawa that day, and my train was the only one that was significantly delayed. By three hours, no less.

Back